CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/)
-   -   Camaro UN-advertisements... (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/camaro-un-advertisements-63320/)

ProudPony 12-30-2002 09:46 AM

Camaro UN-advertisements...

Talking about your Camaro Advertisements, or lack thereof...

I didn't want to highjack the other thread going on about wishful ad scenarios (some great ideas too BTW!) and this is a little different subject, but it relates to what SCNGENNFTHGEN
said in his post about seeing the cars in ads for everything BUT the car itself. I couldn't agree more. I see Mustangs all over magazines, newspapers, and TV commercials, but the ads are for tire cleaners, clothes, drinks, even an ad for yogurt with 2 chicks in a '65 Mustang 'vert. These are not Ford-paid-ads trying to sell the actual Mustang.

In the interest of hopefully educating some future "advertiser" (hint-wink) to prevent a similar situation when/if the F5 comes along, I'd like to try something I have not seen done in here yet. Since we can't post pics in this forum (which bites a little IMO :( ), let's get a thread full of links to Camaros/Firebirds seen in the news or in ads for other products - like the Dew commercial with the T/A for example. Of course your comments and advise about the link are encouraged too. I think if we do this right, we will be able to step back and see how the general public views the Camaro/Firebird through the eyes of the media, and it may shock us all. This "stigma" - good or bad - has a lot of influence on potential buyers - it's what may have helped the F-car's demise, or may help F5 be more successful.

I hope you guys can throw some good links in here - you are the cream of the F-car crop when it comes to recognition and observations. Besides, I love trivia and things like this! I will definitely bookmark this for future reference if it goes well.
Likewise, if this thread dies fast, it may indicate something about Camaro/Firebird exposure, at least to those insightful enough to interpret it, huh?

OK - since I kicked out this idea and started the thread, I guess I'll go first...

I saw the following photo while reading the e-news this AM, and after having just read the other thread about Camaro ads, I just couldn't resist. (Thus the idea for this thread, BTW.)
Check THIS out...

Talk about stealth, speed, and long-range...
and the government even provided the backdrop!
That's just an awesome pic IMO. :bow:
And in Saudi too?!?! Hmmm...
Good to know the Camaro is doing it's part, serving our Nation proudly! :salute:

One last thing... F5 sketches and concepts that are referred to in a news article or ad for something else should be included for sure, but let's not turn this thread into a pure collection of magazine and e-zine articles about F5 - we can do that separately if desired. Instead, I wanna see some F1's, F2's, etc. - any models, but they must not appear in a GM-paid ad for that particular car. It's kinda like a screwy "easter-egg hunt", where we are looking for F-cars in everything but an F-car ad. So peel your eyes, and let's have some fun!

Thanks to all who participate!
Proud :cool:

ProudPony 12-30-2002 10:44 AM

George Bush J-turns a Z/28...

I'm looking for a link w/ a photo...
Until I can find one, this will have to do.

LINK 1 (RP - You really write this?! :D )

LINK 2

The Prez prefers Z/28 over SS apparently... ;) J/K!

ProudPony 12-30-2002 10:56 AM

The now-infamous Mountain Dew commercial...

Here's a site hosting an AVI of the actual commercial, with some good stills of the T/A making the barrel-roll jump.

Mountain Dew commercial w/ T/A

I can't beleive that a 60-year-old female thought up this one!
I personally loved this ad. It's got appeal to youth for sure, is slightly comical, and puts the car in the limelight. To me, the F4 would have been well-served to have a few "cameo" appearances in some commercials like this.

newby 12-30-2002 11:32 AM

Well, I don't know if this counts or not, but if you watch Seinfeld very often, you'll notice that for outside shots they use the same cars over and over again. One of those cars is a F3 camaro that's red and orange I think. If you've seen the episode where Jerry, Elaine, George, and Kramer are lost in the parking garage, you see the camaro many different times.

ProudPony 12-30-2002 11:56 AM

another...

How many of you are old enough to remember the Rockford Files?

Jim Rockford drove a gold '78 Firebird (I think it's a '78 anyways).

Go HERE and scroll about 1/3 down the page and you will se Jim's Firebird, his GM truck, and the GM truck his dad drove in the show too.

Again, it was VERY apparent that GM was sponsoring this long-running show, and I don't think it's coincidental that F-car sales were good during those late-'70's-to-early-'80's years.

ProudPony 12-30-2002 12:11 PM

Knight Rider

How about the days of Hasselhoff and KITT 2000? Michael Knight was the evil-killer fantastique in his Firebird for years before he retired to body-watching on Baywatch.

HERE"S a magazine cover of the man/car duo.

And HERE is a link to some of the "show specs" for KITT - can you say speed racer? LOL!

The Firebird does look sweet though, and again, I'm sure it did wonders for the sale of F3 units in the '80's. This show and car came right on the heels of the Rockford files, kind of keeping a "continuous stream" of F-car public exposure going. Good marketing IMO.

SCNGENNFTHGEN 12-30-2002 12:12 PM

2 little 2 late

I don't know of any links like the others, but I have noticed Camaros have been showing up on all kinds of T.V. shows since the announcement. Maybe its just a way for various writers and producers to let GM know they will be missed. I recently caught the begining of a show called Mutant-X, I never heard of the show, I was just flipping through and happened to see a 35th anniversarry SS vert being chased buy a M*****g GT. Needless to say the guy got away, it was cool to see on tv. There were also some other good chase seens, old GTO's and such. It didn't surprise me to see the GT but the Camaro was a shocker.

SCNGENNFTHGEN 12-30-2002 12:15 PM

Very cool links by the way, and I love the DEW ad. As I stated earlier we needed more of this stuff from 93 on. 2 little 2 late.

Z28Wilson 12-30-2002 12:25 PM

I remember the one commercial, I believe it was for Enterprise, with the Camaro on the side of the road with its hood up and steam pouring out while the lady is on the cell phone. :( They do make up for it with the one where the guy says ..."or more head room" and the SUV morphs into a Camaro convertible. That and the insurance commercial which pi$$ed everyone off here about high-performance cars and how dangerous they are, with a 4th Gen T/A fishtailing at the end of it. I guess those are a couple bad examples though.

97z28/m6 12-30-2002 12:33 PM

what about the enterprize one with jr. and one car morphs into a camaro 'vert.

ProudPony 12-30-2002 12:34 PM

This isn't an ad, but you see them alot...

I actually think these look VERY cool in black and grey, and I see them fairly frequent around where I live, just don't wanna see one BEHIND me!

The Slick-top , another of the slicktop, and the Bar-top. These are North Carolina cars, and notice BTW, the site on which they are posted... Again goes to show you that a true car-lover recognizes the car for what it is, not who made it!

This kind of street exposure goes a LONG way in convincing the public that these are fast, safe cars - especially younger crowds.

jg95z28 12-30-2002 01:47 PM

Isn't there an Adidas commerical with a 1969 Camaro ragtop?

Doug Harden 12-30-2002 02:02 PM

There's a Prestone.....

.....Anitfreeze commercial with the chick that's on the Best Damned Sports Show (at least I think it's her?!?) ...in a yellow 1969 convertible.....one in the snow and one in the desert.

It's in two different commercials for that antifreeze that "pre-mixed antifreeze" (rip-off I say....mix it 50% w/ water and sell it for the same$$....LOL!!.....idjuts)

Good looking car (chick's got a big schnoz though)....except for the fact that the grille isn't painted!! I hate it when guys replace the grille on a '69 and don't paint the outer rim of the grille.....:mad:

AC Delco (?) had the commercial with the yellow '69 out in front of a guy's garage...

kizz 12-30-2002 02:19 PM

I got pulled over by one not too long ago for speeding! awesome to see their authority, un-awesome to get their tickets. Back in 93 we had TONS of 4th gen camaro cops around here, then it faded out, and now past couple of years we have lots of 00-02 ones as well.

Did anyone mention the commercial with 2 little kids identifying cars from their engine exhaust tone? Kind of an old commercial but it did have a Z28 in it.

Buzzbomb 12-30-2002 02:49 PM

Mmmmm tastes like third gen :D