Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Best Intro Luxury car for ~$35,000, Regal GS?

Old 01-24-2012, 08:22 PM

Re: Best Intro Luxury car for ~$35,000, Regal GS?

Slappy,

I'm pretty much in the same situation. Aging GTO (94k miles!) knowing my next car needs to be four doors and have a manual transmission.

If the Regal GS would have been the turbo 6 and AWD with the ~5.5 0-60 that is in European trim even if the car would have came in at $40k... I'd probably own one already. I drove to Chicago just to see it two years ago. I love the looks that much.

As it sits now, I'm trying to talk myself into it and I dont really want to talk myself into a $37k purchase. I would need to mod the car to get it to be a little fun every day, and I dont like to mod my daily drivers that much. I realize it handles well blah blah blah but sometimes after a really ****ty day at work I just want to hammer it getting onto the highway and 0-60 in 6.6 isnt going to cut it.

At this point I'm either going to wait for a used 2nd gen CTSv to drop a little more or (sigh) look at something like a slightly used Audi S4... unless the ATS knocks me out of my socks, but I'm not big on the looks of the car in pictures. Maybe it will be better in person.

Without getting into too much of a rant, I wonder what the justification is for the turbo 4 FWD vs. the turbo 6 AWD. I really hope that it was just too expensive to certify, because if it was for gas mileage or sales numbers... that'd be a shame.

Last edited by Chuck!; 01-24-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck! View Post
Slappy,

I'm pretty much in the same situation. Aging GTO (94k miles!) knowing my next car needs to be four doors and have a manual transmission.

If the Regal GS would have been the turbo 6 and AWD with the ~5.5 0-60 that is in European trim even if the car would have came in at $40k... I'd probably own one already. I drove to Chicago just to see it two years ago. I love the looks that much.

As it sits now, I'm trying to talk myself into it and I dont really want to talk myself into a $37k purchase. I would need to mod the car to get it to be a little fun every day, and I dont like to mod my daily drivers that much. I realize it handles well blah blah blah but sometimes after a really ****ty day at work I just want to hammer it getting onto the highway and 0-60 in 6.6 isnt going to cut it.

At this point I'm either going to wait for a used 2nd gen CTSv to drop a little more or (sigh) look at something like a slightly used Audi S4... unless the ATS knocks me out of my socks, but I'm not big on the looks of the car in pictures. Maybe it will be better in person.

Without getting into too much of a rant, I wonder what the justification is for the turbo 4 FWD vs. the turbo 6 AWD. I really hope that it was just too expensive to certify, because if it was for gas mileage or sales numbers... that'd be a shame.
My GTO just passed 60,000 miles. You obviously drive more than I do, but I drive enough to want to enjoy my vehicle. I don't have any kids or a wife that would want 4 doors so I am not going to rule out a coupe. I know how you feel trying to justify spending $37,000. It's a lot of money. But hey, we only live once and it will be something you can enjoy for many years and then sell and get some money back. The people that save and save for a rainy day that never comes are missing out. I do agree that the Regal GS needs more power, especially coming from a GTO. However, that cockpit interior really appeals to me. I want to keep American as well. That used CTS-V idea is a pretty good one .

On a side note: Does anybody know if they are going to make an ATS coupe? I don't think I could resist at that point if it looks anything like the CTS coupe.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Slappy3243 View Post
My GTO just passed 60,000 miles. You obviously drive more than I do, but I drive enough to want to enjoy my vehicle. I don't have any kids or a wife that would want 4 doors so I am not going to rule out a coupe. I know how you feel trying to justify spending $37,000. It's a lot of money. But hey, we only live once and it will be something you can enjoy for many years and then sell and get some money back. The people that save and save for a rainy day that never comes are missing out. I do agree that the Regal GS needs more power, especially coming from a GTO. However, that cockpit interior really appeals to me. I want to keep American as well. That used CTS-V idea is a pretty good one .

On a side note: Does anybody know if they are going to make an ATS coupe? I don't think I could resist at that point if it looks anything like the CTS coupe.
They said the engineers made the CTS coupe concept on their own when their wasn't one in the works because they liked the idea that much. I think there might be a similar draw to produce ATS coupe. Do you know how sucessful CTS coupe has been sales wise? The code concept is a coupe. I would think if you're already building one the other would be a no brainer so I never understood why GM didn't do a CTS coupe on their own and sooner at that.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:17 PM

I really hope that it was just too expensive to certify, because if it was for gas mileage or sales numbers... that'd be a shame.
It was due to gas mileage. A Buick rep said it would have been subject to a gas guzzler tax if they'd ported it over directly.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Slappy3243 View Post
Yes there is supposed to be one coming, but no it's not supposed to be as radical as the CTS coupe.

ATS is scheduled to be in addition to the sedan, a coupe and a wagon.

Seems the convertible idea was shelved.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:24 AM

So there could be an ATS-V wagon!?
Old 01-26-2012, 12:31 PM

Slappy,

I am in a similar situation. I am looking for a new daily driver. I would prefer something with 4 doors (kids/car seats), manual, and decently quick (at least sub 6's to 60 preferably less).

I drove a handful of G8 GT's last fall, but while I loved the way they looked the auto just doesn't do it for me. I did look for a GXP with a 6spd but they are hard to come by and a little pricey for their age.

I had high hopes for the GS because I really love the way they look. But it just isn't quick enough and I would have preferred AWD because I am not a fan of FWD.

I also considered 335, S4, and A4. The 335 has me concerned about reliability, as does the S4 and A4 from what I have read. I do own a Jetta so I am somewhat familiar with the Volkswagen related products and my wife's Jetta has been extremely reliable. The CTS-V is really a price issue, and concerned about the technically wizardry that can no doubt fail in the future. I am hoping to drive this next vehicle for 8 - 10 years while I replace the other cars in the family.

In the end, I am leaning pretty hard towards a new Camaro and just dealing with the two door issue because it meets the majority of my criteria. I will probably still drive a GS, but it isn't looking good.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:34 PM

Back to the drawing board boys... thought this new SS was going to fit the bill.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by ImportedRoomate View Post
Talk now is that the wagon was shelved like the convertible. Word on the Caddy forums is ATS/CTS sedan and coupe at least until 2016.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Clean97Z View Post
I am in a similar situation. I am looking for a new daily driver. I would prefer something with 4 doors (kids/car seats), manual, and decently quick (at least sub 6's to 60 preferably less).

I drove a handful of G8 GT's last fall, but while I loved the way they looked the auto just doesn't do it for me. I did look for a GXP with a 6spd but they are hard to come by and a little pricey for their age.

I had high hopes for the GS because I really love the way they look. But it just isn't quick enough and I would have preferred AWD because I am not a fan of FWD.

I also considered 335, S4, and A4. The 335 has me concerned about reliability, as does the S4 and A4 from what I have read. I do own a Jetta so I am somewhat familiar with the Volkswagen related products and my wife's Jetta has been extremely reliable. The CTS-V is really a price issue, and concerned about the technically wizardry that can no doubt fail in the future. I am hoping to drive this next vehicle for 8 - 10 years while I replace the other cars in the family.

In the end, I am leaning pretty hard towards a new Camaro and just dealing with the two door issue because it meets the majority of my criteria. I will probably still drive a GS, but it isn't looking good.
Wow, I see I am in good company because I am in the same situation as many. My Sky only has 56k miles but being a 2 seater can make logistics difficult with 2 kids. I am mentally shopping for a new car but there is nothing out there right now that grabs me like the GTO when I bought it and then the Sky. I love the 2nd gen CTS-V but price is an issue, I am concerned with German reliability with a used S4, S5, RS4, E55 or E63.
To my wifes befudlement I would still prefer a manual otherwise a lightly used SHO or 300 SRT would be a good deal.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28 View Post
No I meant G35. It starts under $35k. The G37 (bigger engine) is a few thousand more.

For me, I'd go with a used CTS.
G25. And it's discontinued. Since the G37 is being replaced by Q50 in 2014, this is the last year for G37 sedan.

It drives fantastically. If you have a chance, go for a test drive. You will not be disappointed.

With various discounts (since they're trying to offload these models right now), you may get one for a good deal. Like 0% lease, or $4000 OFF MSRP.

I almost bought one last December.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by 92RS shearn View Post
I am concerned with German reliability with a used S4, S5, RS4, E55 or E63.
Reliability is decent, but service/maintenance costs are high. If you can turn your own wrench, you'll be fine. Else, find a good indy mechanic.

Earlier S5 with the 4.2L naturally aspirated V8 is a fantastic vehicle. Good power in stock form, room for 4, Quattro all wheel drive, a great sounding motor, and a healthy mod world.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by ImportedRoomate View Post
This!
Old 02-27-2013, 03:43 AM

I dig the genesis sedan

Larry (Popo8) Co-owner
LTXtech.com