Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Banking Industry vs. Auto Industry

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 04:30 AM

The other reason why the banks should not be bailed out IMO is the notion that there will always be another bank to buy them out. A big fish swallowing a smaller fish, if you will. It's not like the business model is far different for the different financial entities. It's just money, stocks and markets...
Old 11-15-2008, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by flowmotion
Well, that's not necessarily the case. Tons of regular middle class folks made money "flipping" their house, or using their increased property values to finance their lifestyles, including buying expensive automobiles.

I agree there was an enormous amount of political cowardice here. But if you asked the average joe in 2005, the housing bubble was the greatest thing ever. And realistically what politician was going to put the brakes on that?
HGTV targeted their programming to the wonders and joys of flipping houses... they still run that crap, even now.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:10 AM

Well, everyone should read "The Creature from Jekyll Island" - it's a factual and historical piece of work.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:19 PM

Alan Mulally just said, on Congress hearing, that the suppliers for the big three are highly leveraged. So are they in the same situation that AIG got itself into?
Old 11-19-2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by mastrdrver
Alan Mulally just said, on Congress hearing, that the suppliers for the big three are highly leveraged. So are they in the same situation that AIG got itself into?
I am not that well versed to make a definative comment. So I'll give my best opinion.

Suppiers to the auto industry run the gammut of size and financial strength.

All have a monthly financial nut to crack, and a workforce to keep.

In the auto business you can find a good deal of folks who have the business in their blood. You can ride a razor edged risk to own your own business.

I think that most suppliers play the business on very thin margins. Thick enough to stay alive, too thin to extend credit beyond a tight schedule, and priced with the sharpest of pencils. There isn't room to lose a client.

As with some regular folks that live their lives here, all is well, albeit it stressful... but if things go bad for more than a month or two... it's dire.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by 1fastdog
I am not that well versed to make a definative comment. So I'll give my best opinion.

Suppiers to the auto industry run the gammut of size and financial strength.

All have a monthly financial nut to crack, and a workforce to keep.

In the auto business you can find a good deal of folks who have the business in their blood. You can ride a razor edged risk to own your own business.

I think that most suppliers play the business on very thin margins. Thick enough to stay alive, too thin to extend credit beyond a tight schedule, and priced with the sharpest of pencils. There isn't room to lose a client.

As with some regular folks that live their lives here, all is well, albeit it stressful... but if things go bad for more than a month or two... it's dire.
I was just reminded on AIG in the thread where Formula79 quoted wsj, or someone, about how AIG was leveraged 11:1 and was at high risk and was breaking one of the basic rules of banking 101, if you will. It was bad and was destined to fail quickly given the high risk they were leveraged against.