Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

"American" Vs "Foreign" Cars and Trucks…should be “buy American”?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 01:11 PM

Re: "American" Vs "Foreign" Cars and Trucks…should be “buy American”?

Originally Posted by Chuck!
What happens to my taxes if GM or Ford has to cut the benefits of their retired workers because they're not making enough money?
Guess what? They are going to have to cut them regardless. Its impossible to maintain that level of payout each year and still run a profitable buisness. Its just going to get worse as people are living longer and longer. Those pensions are a thing of the past.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by falchulk
Guess what? They are going to have to cut them regardless. Its impossible to maintain that level of payout each year and still run a profitable buisness. Its just going to get worse as people are living longer and longer. Those pensions are a thing of the past.
The longer they hold out on cutting them, the happier I'll be.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:18 PM

The longer they hold out on cutting them, the happier I'll be.
Why? Because you enjoy paying too much for new cars? Because you enjoy funding the retirement of people that did the substandard work that allowed the imports to gain the foothold they have?
Old 02-09-2005, 01:22 PM

Imagine how much better GMs cars would be if they could invest even a fraction of the amont they pay in pensions into their interior, overall quality of materials and lowering prices.

Thats a big part of the thorn in GMs and Fords side.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:27 PM

What happens when we throw these hundreds of thousands of people into an already failing social security system?
Old 02-09-2005, 01:29 PM

What happens when we throw these hundreds of thousands of people into an already failing social security system?
You do understand that a pension does not disqualify you for social security? They collect both.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:29 PM

They are going into it either way.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by falchulk
You do understand that a pension does not disqualify you for social security? They collect both.
I stand corrected. I was under the impression that if you had private health care that paid for medical bills before social security did. My uncle just went though this and that's what my dad told me happened.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:39 PM

I drive a Subaru. Built in Lafayette, Indiana. GM owns 20% of the shares of Fuji Heavy Industries, Subaru's parent company. GM is using rebadged Subarus to be sold as Saabs, which is 100% owned by GM. In India, the Subaru Forester is being sold as the Chevy Forester.

Where does the profit go when it comes to the various Subaru/Saab/Chevy products? Would you rather buy a rebadged subaru as a saab made in the US, or Chevy with an engine made in China and assembled in Canada?

Pontiac Vibe. Rebadged Toyota Matrix. How about the profit on the sales of this one?

Saturn Vue Redline. Honda V6/transmission. How about this one?

-B
Old 02-09-2005, 01:41 PM

I stand corrected. I was under the impression that if you had private health care that paid for medical bills before social security did. My uncle just went though this and that's what my dad told me happened.
Not what I meant. The Social Security taken out of your check goes to pay a monthly installment to people eligible to collect it. Thats regardless of if you are eligible due to not being able to work or retirement.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:48 PM

Hey, you all knew I'd have to throw my 2cents in Sorry for the delay, I'm a thirdgen.org guy and now that they're back up I don't get over here as often. But over there you don' t have these good discussions

I haven't had a chance to read through that whole document, but I will give a few thoughts on just skimming it.

This guy completely fails to mention the costs of labor in Asia vs US. Ignores it. You can't "ignore" a major factor like that when comparing "Foreign vs Domestic."

"Once a preliminary determination is made that certain suppliers--wherever located--can meet our quality and delivery standards, bids are requested. Sourcing decisions are then made on the basis of a financial analysis of each candidate's cost competitiveness."

Case in point, they have found an American supplier that can meet their needs. Great! Grand! Joy! Oh wait, ****, I have to pay $24.00 hr, ok I think i'll hire my people at $2.00 hr. When he mentions uncompetitive, he tries to hint that Americans suppliers cannot produce as good of products as the Japanese which is completely not true. We all know Asians are good at math, but Engineering, pffh... Being an ME I have seen this first hand. (Another story)

The uncompetitive statement means American companies produce product that is too expensive. And /why/ is this product to expensive, Labor.

"The presence of lower-cost Japanese auto parts suppliers does more than make the auto parts supply industry more competitive; it makes the American automobile industry in general more competitive. Lower-cost parts will help hold down the cost of American-made automobiles, which will also make them more competitive in international markets."

I do not see how this makes us more competitive. We are at an extreme disadvantage here because of the differences in costs of labor. Money Japanese suppliers can put into product improvements and manufacturing improvements (more lower costs) we have to put into just paying our employees. Then after dropping our costs to compete w/ Japanese suppliers, we have nothing left to make improvements. It's really kind of a downword spiral until something is done about it...

That's all for now. Although, I do believe someone mentioned something about the UAW. I think the UAW is completely out of control. The UAW served its purpose when it was needed, now the purpose is no longer there. Therefore the UAW is doing ridiculous things that are hurting the domestic companies and destroying worker productivity. I think their motto ought to be "We pay more, for less!" It's time we move on.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Beanboy
I drive a Subaru. Built in Lafayette, Indiana. GM owns 20% of the shares of Fuji Heavy Industries, Subaru's parent company. GM is using rebadged Subarus to be sold as Saabs, which is 100% owned by GM. In India, the Subaru Forester is being sold as the Chevy Forester.

Where does the profit go when it comes to the various Subaru/Saab/Chevy products? Would you rather buy a rebadged subaru as a saab made in the US, or Chevy with an engine made in China and assembled in Canada?

Pontiac Vibe. Rebadged Toyota Matrix. How about the profit on the sales of this one?

Saturn Vue Redline. Honda V6/transmission. How about this one?

-B
The vibe is not a rebadged matrix. Its the other way around. GM designed the Vibe and contracted Toyota to make it in their factory. As part of that contract they build their own version, the matrix. I am not sure how long that will last as that new Scion is almost exactly what the matrix is. Even the interior is extremely similar.

Last edited by falchulk; 02-09-2005 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:50 PM

So if you have private health coverage, will that pay for medical costs before social security does, even if you are elgible for social security?
Old 02-09-2005, 01:56 PM

So if you have private health coverage, will that pay for medical costs before social security does, even if you are elgible for social security?
Somone correct me here if I am wrong but most retired people use medicare? I dont know anything about SS paying medical bills directly.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:07 PM

Im getting my program names mixed up, maybe Im the one who should be getting medicare Regardless, Im trying to figure out if a government program, such as medicare, pays for medical issues for eligible people before private health care pays for it, such as you'd get when you retire from GM?

Quick Reply: "American" Vs "Foreign" Cars and Trucks…should be “buy American”?