Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Alpha.....

Old 03-18-2009, 12:51 AM

I know what you mean teal, but who wants a re-engineered, $50k Z28? That type of work and premium is only goingto be seen on one Chevy.

Now if the Caddy could shoulder the extra engineering, you might have a chance. Let's make that #8
Old 03-18-2009, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by IREngineer
I know what you mean teal, but who wants a re-engineered, $50k Z28? That type of work and premium is only goingto be seen on one Chevy.

Now if the Caddy could shoulder the extra engineering, you might have a chance. Let's make that #8
Agreed.

BTW, Charlie would probably pay $50K for such a Z28

I'd probably cheap out and go for the V6 -- mid 13s 1/4s are enough for me.
For V8 jollies, I'd go Classic.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by teal98
Agreed.

BTW, Charlie would probably pay $50K for such a Z28

I'd probably cheap out and go for the V6 -- mid 13s 1/4s are enough for me.
For V8 jollies, I'd go Classic.

You know what? I was just about to say that I could probably be persuaded to pay that, if it were a truly superb Z/28.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:01 AM

I really think that V8s will be quite rare in cars in 6 years.
V8s are already quite rare in cars.

What you really want to look at is the truck market -- if pickup buyers start moving to V6s or diesels, that will mean the end of the LS engine program. After that V8s will mainly be used for low-production designs on high-end sport/luxury cars.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by flowmotion
V8s are already quite rare in cars.
Okay, very quite rare then...

Originally Posted by flowmotion
What you really want to look at is the truck market -- if pickup buyers start moving to V6s or diesels, that will mean the end of the LS engine program. After that V8s will mainly be used for low-production designs on high-end sport/luxury cars.
I think everyone will be watching to see how the Ford Ecoboost does.
I still think SCR will scare a lot of people away from diesels. Eventually, it may be accepted, but it will take a while.

If Ecoboost flops and the diesels do as poorly as I predict, I guess that may keep V8s common in pickups a while longer.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:06 AM

The smallblock will continue into the foreseeable future, both in trucks and Corvette. I was also thinking that with the cancellation of the 4.5 diesel, future smallblocks become even more important for trucks. Perhaps a silver lining.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:44 AM

You know, I'm not totally sold on a V8 in Alpha. I know, "turn in your man card, wussy-boy", but I've owned 2 4th gen V8's (94Z and 00SS) so I think I have a little room to talk. I am deathly afraid that a V8 will = 150+lbs. I'd rather see the following:

2.4L DI 4 @190-200hp = 3400lb LS/LT 6th gen
3.6 or 4.0L V6 @320-350hp = 3500lb SS 6th gen
TT3.6L @400hp and a torque table (not curve) ala LNF = 3550lb Z28 6th gen (weight savings)

I see that being better than a 5.0L Gen V V8 pushing 400hp in a 3600-3650lb Z28. Protecting for this V8 would also add roughly 50-100lbs to the other models in my rough estimation.

Flame away...

No flames from me. I think that a critical cornerstone with Alpha is to devise a package that can be fun to drive and feel 'premium' even with a standard 4 cylinder.

I think we've touched upon this in a previous thread, but I wonder what the comparison would be - from a vehicle architecture POV - when comparing a 400-425hp/350-400 ftlbs V8 vs TV6? Mass, cost, performance, marketing, packaging, CAFE, the whole shebang.

Let's take this one first.

Wouldn't a 400hp Gen V smallblock be cheaper and easier to package than a 400hp, DOHC, turbocharged, intercooled, V6?
Old 03-18-2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Wasn't there plans at one time to make a ~4.0L DOHC HF V6?
There was a 3.8L version on the boards at one time.

Regarding the V6, over on GMI, someone posted recently about gains in power on a CTS with some Corsa parts (intake and exhaust?). I think there's room for the aftermarket with the V6.
The main thing holding back the aftermarket on the HF V6 is that no one's yet been able to crack the PCM (at least as far as I know). Without being able to do that, major power adders are out of the question.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by R377
The main thing holding back the aftermarket on the HF V6 is that no one's yet been able to crack the PCM (at least as far as I know). Without being able to do that, major power adders are out of the question.
IIRC the PCM is the same one used in the LNF engines and that has also been holding back the aftermarket in those vehicles as well. I think if one gets cracked the other isn't far behind.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Let's take this one first.

Wouldn't a 400hp Gen V smallblock be cheaper and easier to package than a 400hp, DOHC, turbocharged, intercooled, V6?
Well, it depends on whether or not trucks are going to shoulder the brunt of the development/volume of the V8. The TV6 is done and other platforms can provide added volume.

Pure assembly and purchased parts? The V8 would be about $2-300 cheaper than a twin turbo (my estimate). This is assuming pushrod V8. If Gen V does somehow go DOHC with VVT then I think you can cut that cost advantage in at least half.

Packaging really is a crapshoot. Compare the 335 vs the M3. Both look like a midget couldn't get their hands in there...
Old 03-18-2009, 01:31 PM

Over on GMI there is a very reliable poster talking about this very subject. I'll just combine what I've heard with what he's saying.

-First Alpha products by MY 2013-14.
Excellent... Seems right on it's original track.

-Coupe, sedan, convertible, wagon variants being considered,
Good, it needs to be a very flexible platform.

-The business plan requires Chevy to be part of the program. Draw your own conclusions.
Obviously, an F6... But what about the prospect of an Alpha based Impala? (Obviously the platform would have to be engineered to accomodate a variety of sizes)

Someone brought this up earlier (circa mid 2008 when Zeta was dieing) As I understand it, there currently is no replacement for the Impala. Retail sales are diminishing and will continue to as 1) the car ages 2) More people move to small crap and 3) The Malibu becomes the main volume puller at Chevrolet (Since it and the Impala are so close anyway)

So, would the 'volume issue' that plagued (and for good reason IMO) the Zeta Impala be resolved by then allowing for a RWD sedan flagship that sells in smaller (not niche) volume?

- A LWB version may replace the CTS later next decade, after CTS gets one more freshening after this one.
That answers my size question (partially)

-Hope you like the Converj's styling.
Absolutely LOVE it!
Old 03-18-2009, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Great news, but, will it be engineered to accept a small block?

EDIT: Nevermind, Guy already answered that. The prospects of a lighter 6th Gen seem a bit slimmer.
I don't see why it couldn't (if GM sees fit)

Even Epsilon was, at one point, able to fit the UV8 that was cancelled. If Alpha is the size of Epsilon, why couldn't it fit a V8?

(I'm not talking about weight either, that's an entirely different thing)

This whole V8 thing, honestly I don't know how it would ultimately play out. I'll tell you though, the thought of an SN95 sized Camaro fitted with an LSx is virtually irresistible to me.
I'm in that same boat... Dreamboat, that is!

I've been told "3 series sized". But apparently a stretched version is being considered.
To pick up where Zeta left off? That's probably where the V8 will come in. If I have to go larger to get a V8, then consider me sold.

Heres to 6th gen on Alpha.... Long as the make a V8 fit.
+1

Last edited by FUTURE_OF_GM; 03-18-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by FUTURE_OF_GM
Someone brought this up earlier (circa mid 2008 when Zeta was dieing) As I understand it, there currently is no replacement for the Impala. Retail sales are diminishing and will continue to as 1) the car ages 2) More people move to small crap and 3) The Malibu becomes the main volume puller at Chevrolet (Since it and the Impala are so close anyway)

I had heard mention of an Alpha Chevy sedan, a long time ago, before the whole meltdown - so who knows. But I think Chevy is getting a large Epsilon sedan around '13, I assumed that to be the Impala replacement.

I remember that PCS mentioned that the plan for Alpha was a sedan for Caddy, a Camaro for Chevy and a fancy convertible for Buick, sometime back.

I think it's safe to say that this evolving story is being written as we speak.

Last edited by Z284ever; 03-18-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Think Pontiac G6.... which at one time, the plan was to use it as the basis of G6's replacement
Not a bad thing. Still plenty big enough. I'm thinking a wagon alpha would then be in the size range of the last generation mazda6 wagon?
I've been told "3 series sized". But apparently a stretched version is being considered.
I'm more concerned about the width of the interior than the vehicle length. That and vehicle weight. If the 4000lb G8 handles as well as it does, throw a few hundred pounds off and we could end up with something that *really* handles.
Originally Posted by SharpShooter_SS
This is all very promising and for once both Guion and z284ever are not at odds
I think that is the real point in this thread! With these guys agreeing now, there may be some momentum!
Protecting for this V8 would also add roughly 50-100lbs to the other models in my rough estimation.
I've talked to guys in GM's Powertrain group that gave the impression the DI 3.6L had a lot more room to grow left in it. If they can get that thing to rev hard and high and make 350hp, that sounds really good to me in a lighter vehicle.
Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
IIRC the PCM is the same one used in the LNF engines and that has also been holding back the aftermarket in those vehicles as well. I think if one gets cracked the other isn't far behind.
That and wait to see if GMPP to release an "upgraded" tune like the one for the LNF.

A lighter alpha with a 320-350hp V6 bolted to a slick 6spd manual or 6spd auto would be nothing to sneeze at. Lets hope this doesnt get slowed down in the pipeline!
Old 03-18-2009, 03:58 PM

Not to beat a dead horse but, any prospects of Pontiac being signed on to Alpha again?

Search this Thread