Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Alpha.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Geoff Chadwick
You'll still end up with a 3800lb-3900lb Camaro SS - but you could get a 6th gen with a V8.
What's the point then?
Old 05-19-2009, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
What's the point then?
None really. I think a V8 should be WAY outside of alpha's scope.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Geoff Chadwick
While BMW does add a lot of equipment that GM would never put on a Chevrolet braded Alpha, BMW offsets a lot of that weight with higher strength steel and aluminum. Shedding weight with lightweight alloys does not get you more sales - but luxury options do.

Alpha could be a rwd sedan for 3600lb (3500lb if someone gets creative) without spiking cost through the roof. Too bad your engine will have to be an LNF. In the end, thats still LT1 Camaro performance (which is now - 15 years later - still more than your average American can safely handle). Some people are okay with that. Some people are not.

Then you could have an "Alpha HD" for Camaro. The chassis would be reinforced for more power, but will add cost and weight. You'll still end up with a 3800lb-3900lb Camaro SS - but you could get a 6th gen with a V8.
That's been my thought all along, based purely on looking at the products from a dozen or so other companies. Though with lightweight (read $$) materials and some obsessive efforts on the engineering side (like Mazda did for the Miata and Chevy did for the Corvette), you might get the Camaro SS down to something like 3650, but not at the current price point. Chevy could also save weight with 16" or 17" wheels, but that would probably cost sales, since 19s and 20s are pretty much the standard these days (as silly as that seems to me).
Old 05-19-2009, 06:02 PM

There is no point in investing one thin dime or one minute of effort into Alpha if in the end it weighs the same as Zeta. I can assure you all, that it would be considered a big fat FAILURE if that were to be the case.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:29 PM

There is no point in investing one thin dime or one minute of effort into Alpha if in the end it weighs the same as Zeta. I can assure you all, that it would be considered a big fat FAILURE if that were to be the case.
So dramatic.

I should think the big savings will come from optimizing for smaller power plants. Just looking at what's out there, you can see 6 cylinder RWD sedans at around 3500-3600 pounds. It's just that when you add the V8, they're back up at 3800-3900 pounds.

3500 pounds (assuming creativity) for a 4-5 seat RWD is much lighter than Zeta and should be very competitive with other vehicles of similar description. That's essentially at the low end of where the 328i, Lexus IS, etc., are today. I'm assuming a 6 speed auto, leather, 18" wheels, power seat, etc.

When you add the V8 back in with 20s....
Old 05-20-2009, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by teal98
So dramatic.

I should think the big savings will come from optimizing for smaller power plants. Just looking at what's out there, you can see 6 cylinder RWD sedans at around 3500-3600 pounds. It's just that when you add the V8, they're back up at 3800-3900 pounds.

3500 pounds (assuming creativity) for a 4-5 seat RWD is much lighter than Zeta and should be very competitive with other vehicles of similar description. That's essentially at the low end of where the 328i, Lexus IS, etc., are today. I'm assuming a 6 speed auto, leather, 18" wheels, power seat, etc.

When you add the V8 back in with 20s....

How ridiculous would it be if GM went through the effort of designing Alpha, PRECISELY to reduce mass, and then delivered a product which weighed as much as the current Camaro? You wouldn't call that one big FAIL?

BTW, those highly contented, luxury cars you bring up, weigh:
328i coupe = 3351 pounds
IS 250 = 3435 pounds
Old 05-20-2009, 04:00 PM

How ridiculous would it be if GM went through the effort of designing Alpha, PRECISELY to reduce mass, and then delivered a product which weighed as much as the current Camaro? You wouldn't call that one big FAIL?

BTW, those highly contented, luxury cars you bring up, weigh:
328i coupe = 3351 pounds
IS 250 = 3435 pounds
I've never seen a test of one of those that came in that light, but presumably if you actually found one without any options and with a manual transmission, that's what they'd weigh (it'd be interesting to find out). Let's just say that I'd expect Alpha to be competitive with those -- both with the 3435 pound IS250 at the low end and the 3810 pound IS-F (http://www.caranddriver.com/content/...8++Players.pdf) if they optimize for a ~400/400 high end, or possibly more if they go for more power/torque.

At 3500, I'm thinking of a typical test car with auto, etc. If it comes in lighter than that, it's all gravy.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by teal98
I've never seen a test of one of those that came in that light, but presumably if you actually found one without any options and with a manual transmission, that's what they'd weigh (it'd be interesting to find out). Let's just say that I'd expect Alpha to be competitive with those -- both with the 3435 pound IS250 at the low end and the 3810 pound IS-F (http://www.caranddriver.com/content/...8++Players.pdf) if they optimize for a ~400/400 high end, or possibly more if they go for more power/torque.

At 3500, I'm thinking of a typical test car with auto, etc. If it comes in lighter than that, it's all gravy.
Those numbers come directly from the manufacturers' respective websites.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:12 AM

Those numbers come directly from the manufacturers' respective websites.
Yeah I know. I tend not to trust those numbers, since I've often seen a substantial difference between them and the actual weighed numbers from magazines and websites.

That's why I was very pleasantly surprised that the measured curb weight of the Camaro SS actually came in very close to Chevy's preproduction number.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:42 PM

GM: The Alpha compact rear-drive platform for Cadillac remains on hold, but it's not dead. GM looked at building the next-generation Camaro on the Alpha platform, but that's far too expensive. GM will need a new, small- to midsize, fairly lightweight RWD platform for Camaro and probably a Buick sedan.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...ure/index.html
I guess Alpha won't happen for Camaro... unless Motortrend have their information all screwed up.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
I guess Alpha won't happen for Camaro... unless Motortrend have their information all screwed up.

Consider that MT report nothing more than unsubstantiated page filler...
Old 06-09-2009, 10:55 PM

Consider that MT report nothing more than unsubstantiated page filler...
Well that's usually the case... that's why I thought I'd write a disclaimer next to my main comment.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:29 PM

I'm now hearing some NASTY rumors (as I'm sure some of you are) that Cadillac, as the leader of Alpha is OUT PRICING the platform just like they did with the disaster (as in scope and use) that we know as Sigma.

Looks like Alpha might be too expensive for Chevrolet (not sure how Buick factors in) and may only be used at Cadillac for 2-3 models.

Keep in mind, none of this is confirmed. But if history speaks for itself, it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by FUTURE_OF_GM
I'm now hearing some NASTY rumors (as I'm sure some of you are) that Cadillac, as the leader of Alpha is OUT PRICING the platform just like they did with the disaster (as in scope and use) that we know as Sigma.

Looks like Alpha might be too expensive for Chevrolet (not sure how Buick factors in) and may only be used at Cadillac for 2-3 models.

Keep in mind, none of this is confirmed. But if history speaks for itself, it wouldn't surprise me.
Don't worry. That's from MT too, and it's BS.