CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/)
-   -   268hp V6 Corolla? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/268hp-v6-corolla-522713/)

flowmotion 05-24-2007 11:20 AM

Well also presumably every time they get bigger, they get more expensive and more profitable. It's an easy way to upsell loyal customers into a higher model.

1987IROC350 05-24-2007 11:22 AM

Yea Totota is getting some serious HP out of those v-6's.

I test drove a RAV 4 V-6. It had 276HP and was 0-60 in 7.1 1/4 in 15.2 with a 5 speed automatic.
My wife might buy it cause it gets 27 mpg also.

Eric77TA 05-24-2007 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by R377 (Post 4621390)
It's not just Toyota; pretty much every time any manufacturer redesigns a car, it's bigger than its predecessor. Think Civic and Accord (which grew so much they had to slot in a new entry-level model to cater to those wanting something the size the Civic used to be). BMW 3-series have grown substantially over the years. GM's also guilty with most of their cars, e.g. CTS, j-bodies/delta, epsilon, 355s, 360s, 900s, and so on.

I'm not sure why this is. The only reason I can think of is cars naturally have to be redesigned every 4-8 years. But if they keep them exactly the same size it gives them nothing to brag about to their customers. I can't see them saying "come see the brand new Civic, it's exactly the same size as before except heavier and less fuel-efficient". Making cars bigger allows them to say they're bigger than their competitor, and also gives them an excuse why they keep getting porkier.

This goes back nearly to the beginning of automobile styling. Harley Earl's motto was "longer, lower, wider" when redesigning a car.

However, I'd say the Japanese are more guilty of this right now than the domestics are - they just have smaller models already in production elsewhere to bring in to fill the void.

Delta is not significantly bigger than the J-Bodies. Cobalt is less than an inch longer than a Cavalier and has a shorter wheelbase.

number77 05-24-2007 08:55 PM

Understand.
While some of you try to discredit Toyota for making a car with horrible gas mileage (before you even know the numbers), somewhere else 10x as many people are giving them credit for making (even though, according to what we know, it isn't real car) a fast car.

Will it sell is what you need to ask.
What it will do for the brand is what you need to ask.
You need to look at the XRS.
I'll save you some time, they stopped making it.
Understand though...
The S-runner didn't sell. This was because it wasn't marketed (neither was the XRS).
The X-runner is the nicest Toyota truck, and the nicest modern truck available. It was marketed and this helped it sell.

Eric77TA 05-25-2007 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by number77 (Post 4622624)
Understand.
While some of you try to discredit Toyota for making a car with horrible gas mileage (before you even know the numbers), somewhere else 10x as many people are giving them credit for making (even though, according to what we know, it isn't real car) a fast car.

Will it sell is what you need to ask.
What it will do for the brand is what you need to ask.
You need to look at the XRS.
I'll save you some time, they stopped making it.
Understand though...
The S-runner didn't sell. This was because it wasn't marketed (neither was the XRS).
The X-runner is the nicest Toyota truck, and the nicest modern truck available. It was marketed and this helped it sell.

I'm not trying to discredit Toyota for making a car with horrible gas mileage. I don't think that it will be that horrible. If they did make this car it could probably get low to mid 20s combined. Camry and RAV-4 both get good mileage with the V6.

I think the point everyone is trying to make is that Toyota is making their cars bigger and less fuel efficient on one hand while playing the "green" card with the other and the public only sees the green card.

I think if they made this car it would definitely sell. The XRS had the 2ZZGE, which is a really peaky engine that was available with a 6 speed manual only. Toyota has discontinued use of that engine in ANY car in North America. I believe there's a much larger market here for a torquey V6 and an availabe auto. People seem to identify Honda with the high RPM screamers more than Toyota in the U.S. market for some reason. Must be the VTEC, yo. More name recognition than VVT-i, I guess.

latinspice-94T/A 05-25-2007 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA (Post 4623288)
I'm not trying to discredit Toyota for making a car with horrible gas mileage. I don't think that it will be that horrible. If they did make this car it could probably get low to mid 20s combined. Camry and RAV-4 both get good mileage with the V6.

I think the point everyone is trying to make is that Toyota is making their cars bigger and less fuel efficient on one hand while playing the "green" card with the other and the public only sees the green card.

I think if they made this car it would definitely sell. The XRS had the 2ZZGE, which is a really peaky engine that was available with a 6 speed manual only. Toyota has discontinued use of that engine in ANY car in North America. I believe there's a much larger market here for a torquey V6 and an availabe auto. People seem to identify Honda with the high RPM screamers more than Toyota in the U.S. market for some reason. Must be the VTEC, yo. More name recognition than VVT-i, I guess.

Hondas have serious aftermarket support, and when modded right, they scream. Toyota VVT's... meh..

Eric77TA 05-25-2007 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by latinspice-94T/A (Post 4623397)
Hondas have serious aftermarket support, and when modded right, they scream. Toyota VVT's... meh..

That reinforces the point I was trying to make - Toyota doesn't really have a reputation as an enthusiast brand the way Honda does.

number77 05-25-2007 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA (Post 4623288)

How are they playing the green card? I haven't noticed anything green in any of their commercials...However, I got an ethanol shirt from GM, can't get much greener than that. I really don't see either of them playing a green card though. :shrug:

Shockwave 05-26-2007 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson (Post 4621030)
Corolla is moving up in size. It will no longer be Toyota's small car offering. Yaris will be. I personally think this is a bit of a mistake since Corolla has always been associated with small and economical. It's especially a mistake since Yaris is not an impressive seller AFAIK.

Original Toyota buyers are making more money...They're the same people who won't shut up about how their 80's Corolla would run forever without a single problem. Toyota's capitalizing on the nameplate to generate more profit.

Caps94ZODG 05-27-2007 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by soul strife (Post 4621131)
Originally Posted by Eric77TA
No no no. Don't you read the news? Toyota only makes the Prius and super fuel efficient cars. What are this Tundra and Sequoia you speak of? It's only the Americans that make those big, nasty, dirty inneficient trucks. Toyota only makes magical fuel efficient cars sprinkled with fairy dust. Their exhaust plants trees as they drive by.

Quoted for truth.

I will QFTx2

flowmotion 05-27-2007 12:44 PM

I think it's ridiculous. The people who buy a Tundra from Toyota couldn't care less about the people buying a Prius, and visa-versa.

91_z28_4me 05-27-2007 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Gloveperson (Post 4627179)
And Toyota not known for making performance cars? Short term memories I guess? Supras, anyone?

You mean the dead one? And the RWD Celica (dead also) and the MR2 (dead twice now). Are you seeing a trend?

mdenz3 05-27-2007 05:15 PM

Toyota making more "American" cars, and gm making more "japanize" type cars. hmmmmm :confused:

As for being an R32 competion, I drove the first R32 in the charlotte area, and I was NOT impressed. The interior was not much different that a regular GTI, the slightly larger offset inline 6 didn't really have that much more power. The all wheel drive was cool, but I think a WRX or an EVO would crush it in a rally event. The only real plus in book is that it is made in Germany rather than Brazil like the Jetta, Beetle, and regular GTI's (The Brazilian VW's have far lower quality). Now the REAL R32's that are in Europe I'd probably give my left nut for.

91_z28_4me 05-28-2007 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Gloveperson (Post 4628488)

FWIW, the R32 has a V6, not an inline six :)

The one thing I love about the R32 was the sound it makes. Very throaty IMHO.

You quoteded the wrong person.

teal98 05-28-2007 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gloveperson (Post 4628491)

FWIW, the R32 has a V6, not an inline six :)

The one thing I love about the R32 was the sound it makes. Very throaty IMHO.

VR6 == Vee Reihe 6, I think, which would be a Vee Inline 6. So it's an inline 6 and a V6 :D :D

Seriously, it's something like 10.6 degrees between cylinders. There's a single head. It's a weird layout!