Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2013 Malibu front end picture leaked

Old 04-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Koz

Re: 2013 Malibu front end picture leaked

Old 04-18-2011, 05:27 PM

The headlights really look to have some BMW in them.

The taillights and IP seem to be drawing from the Camaro ... not a good thing for anything interior-related.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:28 PM

HID headlights on a Malibu? I didn't expect that at all. I don't think any of its primary competitors offer those. It would be even cooler if they were LED, but looking at the projector lens setup I doubt they are.

The interior looks like a nice evolution of the current Malibu and at first glance not at all like the Regal aside from the basically identical steering wheel. In fact in overall design flow I get more of the vibe that they took the current Malibu interior and let the guys that put the LaCrosse's interior together give it a full makeover. I do hope the interior materials are at least as nice as the new Regal which I wasn't necessarily blown away by. It's not bad but it's not 'wow' either, for a car that competes with the Acura TSX. If the Malibu met or exceeded it in materials and quality then that would be 'wow' for that class of car.

Those tail lights are going to have to grow on me. I see them and I think Camaro, which isn't really what I want to think when looking at a Malibu.

I guess the big unveil still isn't until 8:30 CST tonight.

I sure hope they're going to get e-assist in there immediately and at a reasonable price.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:37 PM

I love that rear angle picture. It has just the right mix of Camaro in there to give it a muscular look. Those wheels look great too. I think this might be the best looking Chevy sedan in 40 years+.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:02 PM

There is a live reveal on Facebook tonight.

I think it looks great, and fixes my dislikes about the current Malibu, the god awful rear.

Interior looks great and very well done. I'll reserve final judgement when I get to sit in one and poke around at the materials used.

IMO i think its a mistake not to have a V6 option in this car.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:22 PM

I really really really like it... a lot... if I can't have a camaro (I currently own 5 vehicles and NONE have a usable backseat) this is what I want.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:29 PM
West South Central Moderator

http://www.facebook.com/chevrolet?sk...12309028785982
About a minute away
Old 04-18-2011, 08:08 PM

Dammit! I just bought a 2011!
Old 04-18-2011, 08:26 PM

Gotta love that full dash ambient lighting.....
Old 04-18-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by GM Press Release
All-New 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Gives Customers More

Chevrolet's First Global Midsize for Customers in Nearly 100 Markets on Six Continents

All-new exterior designed to stand out around the world

All-new, dual-cockpit interior with more room, more quietness, more premium materials and content, and greater craftsmanship

All-new, fuel-efficient, 2.5L four-cylinder Ecotec engine with next-generation six-speed automatic powertrain

All-new ride and handling package engineered for best-in-class performance

All-new, aerodynamically efficient shape and active shutter system save fuel and reduce wind noise

All-new Chevrolet MyLink in-car infotainment system integrates online services like Pandora%u00AE Internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio%u00AE

New radio face that articulates up and down revealing a six-inch-deep hidden storage compartment, a first for a U.S. midsize sedan

New safety features including 10 air bags, lane departure/forward collision warning system and a rearview camera system

On sale in the U.S. in 2012

DETROIT and SHANGHAI %u2013 The all-new 2013 Chevrolet Malibu made its global debut today, with simultaneous introductions in the United States and China %u2013 two of the nearly 100 countries on six continents where it will be sold. Chevrolet's first global midsize sedan will provide customers from Shanghai to New York and Sydney to Sao Paulo with expressive design, advanced technologies, ride performance and fuel-efficient powertrains.

"The current Malibu has left an award-winning impression and changed the way people think about Chevrolet. It redefined what an American midsize car could be," said Rick Scheidt, vice president, Chevrolet Marketing. "This all-new Malibu delivers on the intangibles of today's Malibu but gives customers even more: more style, fuel efficiency, content and features, craftsmanship, and dynamic capabilities rivaling high-end sedans."

Product highlights for North American models include:

All-new, fuel-efficient and powerful 2.5L four-cylinder engine and next-generation six-speed automatic that lead Malibu's powertrain lineup

Expressive exterior design with a wide, athletic stance

Segment-best aerodynamics %u2013 close to those of the Chevrolet Volt extended-range electric car %u2013 that enhance fuel efficiency and reduce wind noise, including active electronic shutters on select models

All-new, Chevrolet-signature dual-cockpit interior that is more spacious, features premium materials and is engineered to be the quietest in the midsize segment

New Chevrolet MyLink connectivity seamlessly integrates online services like Pandora%u00AE internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio%u00AE

European-influenced ride and handling traits

New safety features and technologies including 10 air bags, ultra-high-strength steel, lane departure warning/forward collision warning and rearview camera system

Expressive and efficient exterior

"The exterior design of the all-new Malibu carries DNA from its sister vehicles, the Camaro and Corvette, to bring a sporty sensibility to the family sedan segment," said Bryan Nesbitt, executive director for GM exterior design and Chevrolet Brand Champion.

A wider stance, broad shoulders and an integrated rear spoiler bring a new athleticism to Malibu and give it a more aggressive appearance. The new Malibu has a 4.5-inch (114 mm) shorter wheelbase and 62-inch (1,574 mm) front and rear tracks that are more than 2 inches (51 mm) wider than the model it replaces.

Other exterior design cues include Chevrolet's dual-port grille, projector HID headlamps, larger Chevrolet bow-tie badges front and rear, and new Camaro-inspired LED dual-element taillamps. The look is complemented by a range of large 17-, 18- and 19-inch wheels.

The new Malibu exterior is anticipated to be SAE-certified as one of the most aerodynamically efficient cars in the segment, with a coefficient of drag (Cd) rating near Chevrolet Volt's Cd of .280. Because of Malibu's new shape and design, engineers were able to remove 60 counts of wind drag compared to the model it replaces.

Malibu also has electronically controlled and integrated active aero shutters (select models in North American markets) to improve aerodynamics and enhance fuel economy without sacrificing the exterior design.

Malibu's active shutter system automatically closes airflow through the lower intake opening when air intake is least needed. When closed, the shutter system enhances aerodynamic performance by redirecting airflow around the front of the vehicle and down the sides, rather than through it. Whether the shutter is open or closed depends on engine coolant temperature and speed %u2013 for example, the shutters open when the car is traveling up a hill, pulling a trailer, or in hot city driving; the shutters close at highway speeds when less engine cooling is required.

Roomier, more refined interior

The new Malibu interior was designed to bring an element of sophistication to everyday driving, featuring an all-new dual cockpit design that creates an inviting, roomy and comfortable environment.

The increased width of the new Malibu means a more spacious cabin. Compared to the previous model, it has nearly 4 cubic feet (113 L) of additional interior volume, along with more shoulder and hip room.

The Malibu interior features metallic, chrome or wood accents located around the shifter, surrounding the center stack, around the instrument cluster and on doors and the steering wheel. Soft, ice blue ambient lighting reflects off of and complements chrome accents and ensures even, consistent illumination along the instrument panel and in storage pockets. Ice blue lighting on the center stack dials, exposed ice blue French contrast stitching, soft-touch and textured surfaces, and strategic applications of noise-deadening materials add to Malibu's interior refinement.

The Malibu also has a number of storage areas, including a radio face that articulates up and down to reveal a six-inch deep storage area behind its seven-inch touch-screen radio display %u2013 a U.S. first in a midsize car. Malibu will also offer a full range of the latest infotainment options, including new color radio systems and an available navigation system.

Malibu will include Chevrolet's new MyLink infotainment package at launch. It builds on the safety and security of OnStar and seamlessly integrates online services like Pandora%u00AE internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio%u00AE. MyLink integrates wireless connectivity through Bluetooth to enable hands-free use of selected smart phone apps while the device remains safely stowed.

MyLink features a high-resolution, full-color touch screen display designed to manage the number of steps required to complete a task. MyLink also adds stereo audio streaming and wireless control of smart phones, building on the Bluetooth hands-free calling capability already offered in most Chevrolet vehicles.

All-new 2.5L powertrain

The 2013 Malibu features a global lineup of fuel-efficient and powerful four-cylinder engines that complements its European-inspired driving characteristics.

An all-new Ecotec 2.5L dual overhead cam, four-cylinder engine with direct injection leads Malibu's engine lineup in North America. It is expected to be one of the most efficient of its size in the market. New features include enhanced authority continuously variable valve timing, variable-displacement oil pump and electronic thermostat that save fuel, while delivering V-6-like performance. It is estimated the engine will be SAE-certified at more than 190 horsepower (141 kW) and 180 lb.-ft. of torque (245 Nm). The new engine has noise-reducing features such as a cast exhaust manifold, steel crank, low-noise timing chain and direct mount accessories that contribute to a quiet-cabin experience.

The 2.5L is mated to a Hydra-Matic 6T40 six-speed automatic with features designed to enhance powertrain efficiency. They include changes to clutch controls and hardware that improves shift response and time. These changes enabled engineers to specify higher gearing to improve cruising efficiency while maintaining acceleration performance and driveability.

Driving experience

The 2013 Chevrolet Malibu delivers precise ride and handling. It has been engineered to be best-in-class and on par with more expensive sports sedans.

Benefiting from continuous refinement of an award-winning global architecture, engineers have tested, tuned and calibrated the Malibu on rural roads, highways, freeways and GM validation facilities around the world.

Contributing to the Malibu's ride and handling characteristics are:
A solid body structure as stiff as any in the global midsize sedan market, allowing for precise tuning and dynamic vehicle control

A premium steering gear for smooth, precise responsiveness and on-center feel
Proven and continuously refined MacPherson strut front and mutli-link rear suspensions
Large, ventilated front disc and solid rear disc brakes, clamped on by dual-piston front and single-piston rear aluminum calipers, which are expected to deliver segment-best stopping distance

An isolated engine cradle for tuned, refined feedback, without noise or vibration

Fuel-saving electric power rack-and-pinion variable-effort power steering, resulting in effortless low-speed maneuvers and a higher degree of steering feel at higher speeds

Chassis control technologies include four-channel anti-lock brakes, full-function traction control, four-corner electronic stability control, electronic brake force distribution, brake assist system, corner brake control, hydraulic brake fade assist and drag torque control.

Safety features
When it comes to safety features, the new Malibu will be one of the best-equipped in the segment. The Malibu will also be pedestrian protection-compliant in all markets where it is sold, and for the first time in North America. Pedestrian protection design in the front of the vehicle reduces the chance of secondary collision between the pedestrian and engine block in car-pedestrian accidents.

The Malibu will also offer these standard and available safety features:

Dual-stage driver and front passenger air bags

Driver and front passenger pelvic/thorax side-impact air bags

Driver and passenger knee air bags

Roof rail air bags with rollover protection

Available second-row head/thorax side-impact air bags

Available lane departure warning system with forward collision alert

Available rearview camera system

OnStar is also included in Malibu's safety features and includes Automatic Crash Response, as well as improved voice recognition technology, remote diagnostics, remote door unlock, Stolen Vehicle Slowdown and six months of uplevel Directions and Connections service that includes Turn-By-Turn Navigation.

The new Malibu comes in LS, LT and LTZ trim levels, with 10 exterior colors and four interior color combination choices in North America, depending on the model. Malibu production in the United States begins in early 2012. It will be built in multiple locations around the globe, including the Fairfax, Kan. and Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plants in the United States. Pricing will be announced later this year.
No mention of e-assist/hybrid. Hmm... let's hope they're holding that ace for closer to release and it's not going to be delayed.

Interesting that they've got this "all new" 2.5L ecotec. I wonder how far departed it is from my 2.4 in my Aura? I just wish I could have direct injection, at least.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:53 PM

Visible big pan mufflers..... even more camaro like!

Now lets see the V6 SS and the ECO versions
Old 04-18-2011, 10:18 PM

The graphic and interior designers need a raise. Wow, everything looks so good. Chevy has FINALLY made the turquiose backlighting look contemporary, they have even ditched the ugly dot matrix IP info display ( about time ) . I think its cool they took the ebony, browns and contrasted with the turquiose. It almost more home interior inspired and nice to see some varience from the typical red, white, silver stiching you see in most cars. If they got all their textures nailed, this will be really sweet interior. Its not exactly ground breaking in overall design, but I think it strikes a VERY good balance between mild and wild. Love it.

I think the exterior looks really good to. If it really leads in fuel economy and is price competive with the Sonata and not the Regal, I think Chevy will have a huge winner on its hands.

.....now about the 2.0 turbo lol
Old 04-19-2011, 12:00 AM

If the 2.0 turbo comes unchanged from the regal as their replacement for the 3.6 V6, then I will be really disappointed. In the regal the 2.0t gets 18/28 and only makes 220 horsepower. Acceleration times are abysmal as well. There's absolutely nothing head-turning about it.

GM, please reference Ford's new series of ecoboost 4-cylinder engines. Inspiring performance AND fuel economy in one package.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by CamaroScotty
Visible big pan mufflers..... even more camaro like!
I just thought that was as much of the muffler as they could hide.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:17 AM

Wow, a new 2.5L, I didn't see that coming. I will be at the NYC autoshow next week, I can't wait to see this car.

Originally Posted by Threxx
If the 2.0 turbo comes unchanged from the regal as their replacement for the 3.6 V6, then I will be really disappointed. In the regal the 2.0t gets 18/28 and only makes 220 horsepower. Acceleration times are abysmal as well. There's absolutely nothing head-turning about it.

GM, please reference Ford's new series of ecoboost 4-cylinder engines. Inspiring performance AND fuel economy in one package.
Other sites are saying 250HP+. The Cobalt SS was 260HP and 30mpg but only had a 4 speed auto. Regal looks to have received a Saab turbo 2.0L instead of the LNF like the North American cars have. Maybe it is because it is built in Germany. Hopefully the Canadian built Regal gets a better turbo engine.

Last edited by Z28x; 04-19-2011 at 06:58 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Malibu front end picture leaked