Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2011 Ford Mustang Gets New 305 HP V6, 30 MPG

Old 11-30-2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by ProudPony
Threxx,
Totally understand your position here. And please go back and read in my first post in this thread where I said..."I'm not asking if this is a good deal or not.
I'm not comparing the performance of these cars to the performance of the LT1 or the last 5.0 produced. I'm not whining about the gadgets and doo-dads that are becoming so prevailent in these cars as options or standard equipment. I am speaking in absolutes of the market."

Didn't say that mid-$20's was a bad deal for a 300hp V6 stang with lots of goodies. What I AM SAYING is that there are better deals out there for basic transportation... the kind of transportation that the 1988 4-cylinder you referred to (with 90hp) was providing masses of buyers back then. In fact - MOST buyers were opting for it.

I simply hate to see every Mustang buyer being forced to pay for performance and "goodies" that they may not want, and/or will never use. Why can't Ford keep the recipe simple and offer the basics for those that only want the basics? History indicates that more people wanted a basic car that had cool styling than wanted a land missile - both in the Mustang and the Camaro. So why are we now going to great lengths and pains to option-up these ponycars and make them something they were never intended to be?

Likewise, why are we letting the younger crowds be wooed away from the traditional cars of passion for new import offerings? This is the travesty and mismanagement of these two models in my opinion. And that's all it is - my opinion. Just wanted to share it because I feel that the recent trends with these two models are very troublesome. I am seriously concerned about the longevity of either one, and if we don't discuss it, what good does it do?

So cool to see new developments and performance for those of us who want it and might use it. Sux to see everyone else having to pay for it whether they want it or not. Bad call IMO.

BTW - when this 300hp V6 becomes the entry level base engine, you pretty much don't have a choice in getting it or not. The track-pak maybe because it's an option box to check, but the engine and tranny are your entry level choices. You go up on power AND cost from there. Hence my "everyone must take it or leave it" attitude.
So even though you see that the 2010 Mustang adjusted for inflation is at a price point similar to an 88 Mustang with 1/3rd the power and far less features, refinement, and safety, your complaint is that Ford isn't offering a 2011 Mustang with roll up windows, manual locks, no keyless entry, AM/FM/CD 2 speaker radio, no A/C, no stability control, no side airbags, 15" steel wheels with hubcaps, and a 4-cylinder or less complex/expensive 6 cylinder?

I could be misunderstanding you but that seems to be sort of what you're saying.

If so I honestly believe they've reached the point where:
-Not that many people would go for those lack of options
-Because of the above fact, economies of scale in the design/engineering phase, production/assembly phase, the support (repairs, troubleshooting, etc) phase, etc add too much cost to include those 'lesser' options.
-In the case of safety equipment I'll bet the increase in premiums and decrease in crash safety ratings would hurt them more than help them.

Let's consider this... in the 90s most car manufacturers were offering mid sized family sedans (Camry, Taurus, Accord, etc) without power windows and locks. From what I heard they didn't make much money on these cars but they were often times the ones that got people in the door to buy more expensive models. These days ALL cars in this class (though I haven't verified) have standard power locks and windows. Heck the class below where Civic/Corolla/Cruze hang out now offers leather and nav almost universally and have power locks/windows in all but their most discounted trims. I wouldn't be surprised if in another 5-10 years this class doesn't offer manual locks/windows either and wouldn't even be surprised if by then almost all new cars came standard with LCD touch screens.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Adjusted for inflation, the current 1SS costs less than a base Z28 did in 2002.
$22,495.00 in 2002 = $27,031.14 in 2009 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics CPI Inflation Calculator.

Last edited by Eric77TA; 11-30-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
$22,495.00 in 2002 = $27,031.14 in 2009 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics CPI Inflation Calculator.
Hmmm, maybe the statistic I'm remembering was based on the price in 1998, not 2002. Or maybe it was something other than CPI as a metric.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
So....is the 2011 V6 staying at about the same weight, losing a little, or gaining a lot? Guess it depends on whose post you read....

BTW Teal98....2010 Mustang V6 is not 3750 lbs.
All I know is what's in the specs -- "3750 estimated". For all I know, it could be 3000 and they overestimated by 750.

Originally Posted by ImportedRoomate
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but does this new V6 require premium? To make that kind of power without DI would be quite an achievement.
regular, and I agree
Old 11-30-2009, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by teal98
All I know is what's in the specs -- "3750 estimated".
Where did you see that?
Old 11-30-2009, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Where did you see that?
http://media.ford.com/mini%5Fsites/10031/2011Mustang/

Click on "Technical Specifications." Look for "BASE CURB WEIGHT" on page 3.

You know, I read on one of the Mustang sites that the 2010 Mustang did not meet 2012 crash standards (what changes? roof crush? side impact?) while the 2010 Camaro and Challenger do. There was speculation as to how much weight that would add and whether the 2011 would meet those standards.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:54 PM

ProudPony,
I don't think there was ever a day where 16-18 year olds would go out and buy new Mustangs and Camaros. I also don't think this is where Ford or GM needs to market these vehicles. As long as they look cool, people are going to want them, including that 16-18 market. The problem is, the 16-18 market can't afford new cars.

Ford needs to have the Euro Focus here to attract more youthful buyers. GM needs the Cruze to be a hit, but also the Fiesta, Spark, and Aveo need to be big hits to attract the younger buyers for something they might actually have a shot at buying, used.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:06 PM

Using Charlie's signature as a definition, the Pony Cars of tomorrow be based on vehicles like the Cruze, Fiesta/Focus, Civic, etc.

It would be a mistake to try to market a RWD car for that market for a lot of reasons. It's better to leave RWD for aspirational cars with more content, higher performance, and unfortunately, higher costs.

I saw Ford Mustang V6s advertised for $15K in last weekend's newspaper, but at the volume of that platform and its components, I doubt that Ford makes money on them, but it certainly could on a highly-styled Fiesta.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
1) Do you think "tons" of 16 year old girls will order the performance package?

2) Why would a better handling/braking car cause 16 year old girls to kill themselves?
Lol, I'd take the T/P V6 Mustang for a kids car, IMO 300hp is still a little high for an unexprienced cell-phone wielding teen.

--->edit<--- It'd certianly be better than the psycho mom who bought her 17 year old son a GT500, who promptly totaled it, then replaced the one he smashed up with another GT500.

Last edited by bossco; 11-30-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Plague
ProudPony,
I don't think there was ever a day where 16-18 year olds would go out and buy new Mustangs and Camaros. I also don't think this is where Ford or GM needs to market these vehicles. As long as they look cool, people are going to want them, including that 16-18 market. The problem is, the 16-18 market can't afford new cars.

Ford needs to have the Euro Focus here to attract more youthful buyers. GM needs the Cruze to be a hit, but also the Fiesta, Spark, and Aveo need to be big hits to attract the younger buyers for something they might actually have a shot at buying, used.
So I'm curious... in your opinion, WHAT is the target market for the Mustang today?
What age group?
What income sector?
What is the intended use of the car, and who should be buying it?

And to take it one step further... if the younger generation starts in a Focus or Fiesta, when do they step-up to the Mustang in your plan? When they start a family, they are looking at the Taurus or Fusion, Escape or Explorer. If they are suburban, they may go for teh F150 or 250 in a crew cab - especially if they are into outdoor activity like boating or 4-wheelers.
So help me understand when and why someone would buy a V6 stang if they start in a Focus...

(I am being totally serious here - no sarcasm whatsoever.)
Old 11-30-2009, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
Lol, I'd take the T/P V6 Mustang for a kids car, IMO 300hp is still a little high for an unexprienced cell-phone wielding teen.
ABSOLUTELY!

Even with traction control and all the "electronic driving assistance", a car can get going WAY faster than an inexperienced driver can get it stopped. Driving into a situation can take very little time in any car... even less in a fast one.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by ProudPony
So I'm curious... in your opinion, WHAT is the target market for the Mustang today?
What age group?
What income sector?
What is the intended use of the car, and who should be buying it?

And to take it one step further... if the younger generation starts in a Focus or Fiesta, when do they step-up to the Mustang in your plan? When they start a family, they are looking at the Taurus or Fusion, Escape or Explorer. If they are suburban, they may go for teh F150 or 250 in a crew cab - especially if they are into outdoor activity like boating or 4-wheelers.
So help me understand when and why someone would buy a V6 stang if they start in a Focus...

(I am being totally serious here - no sarcasm whatsoever.)

If we look at the 64-73 Mustang as an example, I'd say that the Focus (or a Focus/Fiesta coupe) would appeal to those who would have bought an I6 or small V8 Mustang, and the Mustang would appeal to those who bought a high performance small V8 or any of the larger V8 Mustangs (289 hi-po, Boss 302/351, 390, 428, etc.).

The Mustang also competes with BMW 3-series coupes, offering a lower price point and better acceleration for a similar type of car.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:17 PM

Looks like the Ford V6 produces 280 ft-lbs at 4,250rpm and the Chevy V6 produces 273 ft-lbs. at 5200rpm. That's a pretty good advantage to the Mustang, especially considering its lighter weight. Good job Ford.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by ZZtop
Looks like the Ford V6 produces 280 ft-lbs at 4,250rpm and the Chevy V6 produces 273 ft-lbs. at 5200rpm. That's a pretty good advantage to the Mustang, especially considering its lighter weight. Good job Ford.
280 ft-lbs from a PI 3.7 running 87 octane is exceptional.

But according to the spec sheets, the 2011 V6 Mustang is not lighter than the V6 Camaro. Time will tell how accurate the Mustang spec sheet is (we know by now that Camaro's is pretty much spot on).
Old 11-30-2009, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by teal98
http://media.ford.com/mini%5Fsites/10031/2011Mustang/

Click on "Technical Specifications." Look for "BASE CURB WEIGHT" on page 3.

You know, I read on one of the Mustang sites that the 2010 Mustang did not meet 2012 crash standards (what changes? roof crush? side impact?) while the 2010 Camaro and Challenger do. There was speculation as to how much weight that would add and whether the 2011 would meet those standards.

That's kind of a confusing table in that it estimates 3750 and 4000 for the A6 and then M6 and then states TBD for both.

The "under 3500" for the perf pkg V6 as stated in the other release makes more sense to me.

Last edited by Z284ever; 11-30-2009 at 04:36 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Ford Mustang Gets New 305 HP V6, 30 MPG