CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/)
-   -   2010 Tacomas recalled for driveshaft issue (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/2010-tacomas-recalled-driveshaft-issue-736891/)

HuJass 02-12-2010 06:43 PM

2010 Tacomas recalled for driveshaft issue

http://www.thecarconnection.com/mart...iveshaft-issue

AdioSS 02-12-2010 07:05 PM

doh

HuJass 02-12-2010 07:16 PM

Why does Toyota feel the need to release the name of the supplier?
Oh, I know why. Because it's never Toyota's fault.

The Big 3 NEVER did that.

Silverado C-10 02-12-2010 11:19 PM

...but this one is the suppliers fault. The Tacoma shafts have been fine for the past 5 years and then, boom, a bunch of bad ones. Unless Toyota changed the design (possible, but not likely?) or the supplier?

I thought this was funny:

In our Bottom Line review of the 2010 Tacoma... The relatively few criticisms include its bouncy ride, rather uncomfortable seats, and pricey V-6 models.
Recently sold our 05 V6 prerunner and I agree 100% with their assesment along with a few other annoyances, like a pathetically crappy cruise control, annoying shift patterns, a surge at stoplights that caused the truck to roll forward an inch or so, and an annoying tick that sounded like an engine knock (tsb was for leaking exhaust).

HuJass 02-13-2010 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10 (Post 6265960)
...but this one is the suppliers fault. The Tacoma shafts have been fine for the past 5 years and then, boom, a bunch of bad ones. Unless Toyota changed the design (possible, but not likely?) or the supplier?

I realize it probably is the supplier's fault. But the point is, the last time I checked, the name on the vehicle is Toyota. Not Dana.
This is just another scumbag move by Toyota to deflect blame onto someone else. It's their M.O.

Threxx 02-13-2010 11:23 AM

This plus the rusted out Dana frames isn't making Dana look so hot. Unfortunately in many cases it's hard to tell if it's the supplier that screw up building it or the manufacturer that screwed up the design specs. I wonder what Dana would say about this and the frame issue. I'm sure they don't want to speak out against Toyota.

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10 (Post 6265960)
Recently sold our 05 V6 prerunner and I agree 100% with their assesment along with a few other annoyances, like a pathetically crappy cruise control, annoying shift patterns, a surge at stoplights that caused the truck to roll forward an inch or so, and an annoying tick that sounded like an engine knock (tsb was for leaking exhaust).

Our 05 V6 4runner does the surge thing (it's from the A/C compressor cycling) though it never causes me to move forward unless my foot is just barely pushing enough on the brake to stop the car from rolling forward.

What does the cruise do wrong on yours? I haven't had any complaints about ours but it may be different from the system used on the Taco. Or maybe I just haven't noticed.

Either the surge issue is far worse on your Taco than on our 4runner or else you're really nit picking. If I was being that nit-picky about our brand new Aura I could already name 3 or 4 abnormal/annoying behaviors, but to an extent every vehicle has quirks. The ones on the Aura (and the surge on the 4runner) just aren't significant enough for me to worry about or to really consider a true issue.

Silverado C-10 02-13-2010 12:05 PM

My wife and father in law both complained about the surge as well, it was very real. And why should it matter "how hard" my foot is on the brake? When a vehicle is stopped, it's stopped. It also occurred with the A/C off. I've never driven any other vehicle in the past 13 years that's ever done anything similar. Really quick google search:

http://www.wsmv.com/download/2007/1006/14283049.pdf

The cruise control was a pile of ****. Set it at 65, go up a hill (even mild hills) and it would slow down to 61/62mph, drop to 3rd, scream rpms because of it, and get up to 68/69mph by the crest of the hill. If you don't use cruise, you could easily maintain speed by feathering the throttle, and maybe only downshift to 4th. We just quit using the cruise on it. Really quick search and came up with this:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...ntrol-problem/

The last time I changed the oil there was a rather large white plastic piece that fell out of the filter, it looks like it may have been part of a timing tab? I'm really glad it's gone and will never own another Tacoma again.

As I said above, unless Toyota changed the design or materials Dana was to use, this time it's the suppliers fault, yeah they should probably man up, and not blame them for it publicly, but it doesn't change the fact that it's still Dana's fault :lol:

91_z28_4me 02-13-2010 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10 (Post 6266278)
The cruise control was a pile of ****. Set it at 65, go up a hill (even mild hills) and it would slow down to 61/62mph, drop to 3rd, scream rpms because of it, and get up to 68/69mph by the crest of the hill. If you don't use cruise, you could easily maintain speed by feathering the throttle, and maybe only downshift to 4th. We just quit using the cruise on it. Really quick search and came up with this:

That sounds like every cruise control system I have ever used on steeper highway hills, from my 84 S10, my 91 Z28, my 08 Escape. Seriously the system just isn't designed to stay at 1 mph and keep it there there are some pretty wide variables it has to keep in check.

bkpliskin 02-13-2010 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx (Post 6266230)
This plus the rusted out Dana frames isn't making Dana look so hot. Unfortunately in many cases it's hard to tell if it's the supplier that screw up building it or the manufacturer that screwed up the design specs. I wonder what Dana would say about this and the frame issue. I'm sure they don't want to speak out against Toyota.

Our 05 V6 4runner does the surge thing (it's from the A/C compressor cycling) though it never causes me to move forward unless my foot is just barely pushing enough on the brake to stop the car from rolling forward.

What does the cruise do wrong on yours? I haven't had any complaints about ours but it may be different from the system used on the Taco. Or maybe I just haven't noticed.

Either the surge issue is far worse on your Taco than on our 4runner or else you're really nit picking. If I was being that nit-picky about our brand new Aura I could already name 3 or 4 abnormal/annoying behaviors, but to an extent every vehicle has quirks. The ones on the Aura (and the surge on the 4runner) just aren't significant enough for me to worry about or to really consider a true issue.

Do you think Toyota might see some issues surfacing in the future that makes it harder for them to deal with suppliers, given the fact that all they have been doing is trying to throw suppliers under the bus for the past year??? Who would want to supply for a company that is going to run your name through the mud everytime their vehicle has a flaw. It's already clear that almighty Toyota doesn't make mistakes. If their suppliers were so bad, then why are they still their suppliers???

Silverado C-10 02-13-2010 12:27 PM

These weren't steep hills. We don't really have those down here, more like gentle rolling hills. I've driven my Z71 hundreds of times on the same drives the Tacoma was driven on and it has no problem staying between 64-66mph, and it rarely downshifts.

IMO it sucked and I've driven vehicles with much much much better and more accurate systems.

Threxx 02-13-2010 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10 (Post 6266278)
My wife and father in law both complained about the surge as well, it was very real. And why should it matter "how hard" my foot is on the brake? When a vehicle is stopped, it's stopped. It also occurred with the A/C off. I've never driven any other vehicle in the past 13 years that's ever done anything similar. Really quick google search:

http://www.wsmv.com/download/2007/1006/14283049.pdf

Have you never had a vehicle that had its idle RPMs change slightly when the A/C compressor turned on and off? If the RPM increases a bit that would increase the forward pressure just slightly so if you were only pushing enough on the brakes to barely hold the vehicle in place then that might be just enough to overcome your 'grip'. Sounds normal to me except I guess in a 100% perfect vehicle the A/C compressor would not affect the idle as significantly and the car would completely/immediately compensate. In my situation it's minor. From some of the descriptions in the PDF those people have a very different problem (or very amplified problem).

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...ntrol-problem/
Doesn't sound that abnormal to me. My 4runner actually handles cruise much more intelligently than my Aura. My friend's 06 Sierra does it worse than any vehicle I've ever witnessed. Again, I never considered it a problem. Just typical dumb cruise control.

FWIW I can google search and easily find people complaining about the 'problems' I mentioned I've noticed in my Aura too but to an extent like I already said I think cars aren't perfect and some people expect them to be.

My 5000 mile 09 Aura has a hesitation under cold acceleration for about the first 15 seconds it's running. The struts get very noisy and pop/rattle a lot when it's very cold outside. If I let off in 5th gear going down hill and just coast the car jerks a lot as though it's not sure if the TC should be locked up or not. My rear driver's side door lightly strikes the bottom of the door frame when it's closed. The alternator's voltage regulator seems to suck so bad that the lights dim slightly for a split second just from putting on my blinker and I'm not even at idle rpm. At 80 mph I only get 28 mpg despite a 33 mpg rating and despite the fact that my 300+ horsepower 335i got the same mileage at that speed and was rated quite a bit lower by the EPA. I've got a random security light a couple times while driving for no reason. The cruise control will let the car slow down ~5 mph and then way over reacts by shifting to darn near red line, and will maintain that high rpm 5 to 10 seconds after it's been heading back down hill and already caught up to its set speed.

Again, all this in the first 5k miles.

That's just off the top of my head. I haven't been dwelling on these issues. Point being you can find things to complain about in any car if you expect absolute perfection.

Our 4runner in 50k miles has had a weak startup problem, a small crack that developed in the dash (the size of an eye lash), and the very mild idle surge we discussed earlier. Oh I've noticed in really cold weather in the first 30 seconds of startup if I look really closely I can see the backlight slightly flickering (from normal to slightly dimmer than normal) on the HVAC display. That's every issue I can name.

I guess people's experiences all differ. That's why I don't spend too much time believing that one person's experience is indicative of some sort of hidden/unspoken norm.

Silverado C-10 02-13-2010 01:11 PM

You like to hear yourself talk, don't you?

Threxx 02-13-2010 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10 (Post 6266344)
You like to hear yourself talk, don't you?

You've run out of points to make and resorted to flaming, haven't you...:rolleyes:

Silverado C-10 02-13-2010 02:56 PM

What points do I NEED to make? The truck had issues, others have had the same issues. You downplaying them doesn't change that. I'm well aware of how vehicle systems work. See that blue truck in my avatar? I tore it down to a cab and frame, cleaned and painted everything, and put it all back together, including a lot of things that never came in a 67, like power disc brakes, 700R4, and A/C, all in my uncle's driveway. I'm also a Civil Engineer, so I consider myself fairly intelligent. So, when I say that I consider the issues hardly normal nor acceptable, I mean it, take that as you want to. "Arguing" with you is like talking to a wall, I've seen it from you many times on this forum, I'm better off just walking away.

/end thread

91_z28_4me 02-13-2010 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10 (Post 6266453)
What points do I NEED to make? The truck had issues, others have had the same issues. You downplaying them doesn't change that. I'm well aware of how vehicle systems work. See that blue truck in my avatar? I tore it down to a cab and frame, cleaned and painted everything, and put it all back together, including a lot of things that never came in a 67, like power disc brakes, 700R4, and A/C, all in my uncle's driveway. I'm also a Civil Engineer, so I consider myself fairly intelligent. So, when I say that I consider the issues hardly normal nor acceptable, I mean it, take that as you want to. "Arguing" with you is like talking to a wall, I've seen it from you many times on this forum, I'm better off just walking away.

/end thread

Not end of thread, but lets move beyond arguing over problems in other vehicles.

I do wonder if the issue was Dana's fault or if it wasn't spec'd correctly by Toyota? Even if Dana didn't produce the product to spec shouldn't Toyota have been inspecting the parts as they came in and before they put them into the car?

Honestly it doesn't matter to me if the supplier made the part wrong; I care that the manufacturer who sold the vehicle and stamped it as complete is blaming others when the ultimate responsibility falls upon them.