Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2008 Cobalt SS revealed at Sema

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Threxx
Yeah the Lancer Evo IX ran Nurburgring in 8:11 - 11 seconds quicker than this Cobalt.

Yep. The Exo IX beat the cobalt. Expect it to cost about 10 grand more. And it is awd. So it really isnt in the same class as the cobalt. I hate how people compare the Evo to the balt.(not that you were).... I mean, it isnt in the same class.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Evilfrog
Yep. The Exo IX beat the cobalt. Expect it to cost about 10 grand more. And it is awd. So it really isnt in the same class as the cobalt. I hate how people compare the Evo to the balt.(not that you were).... I mean, it isnt in the same class.
Amen, 100%. The new Cobalt turbo SS is going to be a magnificent success at its price, a real performance bargain.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:46 AM

You should hear all the little cry babies over at Cobaltss.net

At least half the LSJ guys (S/C) are knocking the new engine and lots are "sick" of hearing about it. They can't admit it's a superior engine.

Guess they could never be on this board with the years of 5th gen speculation. Unless it's fact from GM they freak--and then they get facts from GM and say--lets wait until it's out!
Old 10-29-2007, 06:47 AM

Well, it's a two way street. When we go and compare the Cobalt to all the vehicles listed above, as far as times at the ring, you have to expect all comparisons within reason. Many of those cars listed above cost way more than the Cobalt, yet it is nice to see the Cobalt beating them out.

Dan
Old 10-29-2007, 08:12 AM

Impressive!

I'll be trading in the SVT for sure this time.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by 305fan
You should hear all the little cry babies over at Cobaltss.net

At least half the LSJ guys (S/C) are knocking the new engine and lots are "sick" of hearing about it. They can't admit it's a superior engine.

Guess they could never be on this board with the years of 5th gen speculation. Unless it's fact from GM they freak--and then they get facts from GM and say--lets wait until it's out!

When I told a buddy of mine (who owns an 06 Cobalt supercharged SS) that the Cobalt was going to come out with a turbo version in the near future, his exact words were "oh thats just a myth, GM will never do that". He then went on to say how his would be better anyway.

Cant wait to see the look on his face when this "myth"-mobile destroys his SS in every way
Old 10-29-2007, 08:38 AM

Anyone know how the LT1 Camaro does around the Ring? Just curious seeing as how the Cobalt SS has the same acceleration times as a stock LT1.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Gripenfelter
Anyone know how the LT1 Camaro does around the Ring? Just curious seeing as how the Cobalt SS has the same acceleration times as a stock LT1.
I don't know, but given that the Cobalt (as described in this thread)is about 500 lbs lighter and comes with much better brakes than the LT1 camaro, I think the Camaro would be MUCH slower around the loop...

I'm not knocking the LT1... I have mine and love it... But if cornering and brakes are involved... It won't be a contest...
Old 10-29-2007, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS

The wheels in the pic above should be the actual 2008 wheels . Thats the engineering mule and GM dealer parts computers show that exact wheel when u pull it up . The Yellow car looks liek a qwik photoshop . The wheels on it are 2005 GM accessory wheels and are only 7" wide . The new ones are 7.5 . GM media online list a split spoke as well . That pic also doesnt show the new upper and lower mesh grills .
I hope to God you are right. The silver car looks like the ones I had seen doing testing in Denver, and they all had those wheels. Those cars looked awesome (even though the bodies were otherwise just standard current style Cobalts).

The wheels on that yellow car are disgusting. There is no way they'd release the car like that as the new top dog SS model; it looks like weak sauce compared to the current supercharged car.

You have put my mind at ease, because the silver car is more what I was expecting.

This raises the question, though, of who exactly released the pic of the yellow car? Because that is the pic that showed up all over the place, it seems, and I'm sure all sorts of negative opinions have been spewed about it on various forums. Nothing like a little misinformation to get things off on the wrong foot.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by SFireGT98

When I told a buddy of mine (who owns an 06 Cobalt supercharged SS) that the Cobalt was going to come out with a turbo version in the near future, his exact words were "oh thats just a myth, GM will never do that". He then went on to say how his would be better anyway.

Cant wait to see the look on his face when this "myth"-mobile destroys his SS in every way
They are a bit whiney over there. That's why I still hang out here. Im not mad that 3 years after I bought my car a better deal is comming out. Its not like the Cobalt SS supercharged is a slouch or anything. But it might lead to some silly arguments of which is better. LSJ or LHF. Akin to the LT1 vs LS1 threads that we all love so much.

Last edited by Evilfrog; 10-29-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Gripenfelter
Anyone know how the LT1 Camaro does around the Ring?
Same day.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:20 AM
slt

The yellow car doesnt have the "new fascia's grille and the Cobalt's upper grille sport a new, SS-specific diamond-mesh appearance" mentioned in the press release.

These do. So where did the yellow car come from? Its all over the place already getting poor reviews.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:26 AM

wow, this little guy should fit my bill for a new daily driver quite well. what are the mpg figures?
Old 10-29-2007, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by slt
The yellow car doesnt have the "new fascia's grille and the Cobalt's upper grille sport a new, SS-specific diamond-mesh appearance" mentioned in the press release.

These do. So where did the yellow car come from? Its all over the place already getting poor reviews.
That's what I'm saying.

BTW, where did you get these pics? Those are the very same cars that I saw being loaded onto a transporter outside the Denver vehicle emissions lab...

Looks like a GM person is snapping these pics. The one of the silver car with the guys standing in front of it looks like a pic taken on a development trip for the car.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:35 AM
slt

Theyre off of another board. Interestingly enough, that suburban has 8 lug wheels. Maybe its an upcoming turbo diesel.

Quick Reply: 2008 Cobalt SS revealed at Sema