CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Autocross and Road Racing Technique (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/autocross-road-racing-technique-33/)
-   -   Some autocrossing questions... (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/autocross-road-racing-technique-33/some-autocrossing-questions-365519/)

bruecksteve 05-15-2005 12:51 PM

Re: Some autocrossing questions...

The tops won't make it any stiffer. I've never noticed a difference one way or the other.

ws6transam 05-20-2005 08:15 AM

A little story for you, straight from the mouth of a chassis development engineer for the F-body platform, circa 1992:

A third-generation F-body test mule was outfitted with strain gages, applied directly to the body in an effort to determine stresses on the chassis. It was track tested at Milford. Once the study was done, the technicians used a sawsall to cut out a rough T-top into the roof of the car, and the test was re-done. The result was a negligble increase in chassis flex. It seems that the tiny bit of flat steel we call our "roof" does not make a significant contribution to the stiffness of the F-body platform.

So go run your T-top car without the tops, and dont worry about it. I *always* autocross without the glass tops in place, unless it's raining out.

1996camarors 05-27-2005 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by ws6transam
A little story for you, straight from the mouth of a chassis development engineer for the F-body platform, circa 1992:

A third-generation F-body test mule was outfitted with strain gages, applied directly to the body in an effort to determine stresses on the chassis. It was track tested at Milford. Once the study was done, the technicians used a sawsall to cut out a rough T-top into the roof of the car, and the test was re-done. The result was a negligble increase in chassis flex. It seems that the tiny bit of flat steel we call our "roof" does not make a significant contribution to the stiffness of the F-body platform.

So go run your T-top car without the tops, and dont worry about it. I *always* autocross without the glass tops in place, unless it's raining out.

I think if they where stress bearing they would shatter

ws6transam 05-27-2005 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by 1996camarors
I think if they where stress bearing they would shatter

Not necessarily. Your windshield is a stressed member of your chassis and a significant amount of roofline rigidity is gained from it. That's one of the reasons it is considered a safety hazard to run a cracked windshield. So glass can and is used in stressed bearing applications on cars.

If you were to physically bond in the T-tops they might aid in increasing roofline strength. However, you are probably right in that the tops were not designed to be stressed members like a laminated glass windshield. Thus, they might, or might not take the stress.

AutoRoc 05-28-2005 03:54 PM

I run with the top down. Just like a Miata.

And Miatas rule autocross :p