Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

SCCA roadracing novice permit -> regional liscence

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 11:45 AM

Post SCCA roadracing novice permit -> regional liscence

so i was doing some reading and genearlly, i need to do the paperwork and apply for a novice permit and in the timeframe of two years I need to do two driving schools and two regional events to get a regional roadracing liscence. This is needed for Solo I too right?

So any of you thats gone thru this, care to share your stories? Should I get a racecar first or rent? I was thinking of getting a prebuilt/setup and proven CMC car(although its NASA, but the series lokos interesting), although I'm not sure if it exactly falls into the SCCA calsses, guess ishould get the rule book..

This looks like somethign i really have to plan out, especially if I have to buy my own towing rig and racecar beforehand..

Old 06-20-2002, 09:30 PM

I just got my novice permit yesterday. You are correct. 2 years to do two schools and race to get the upgrade.
I had a Solo 1 license. You don't need anything but money to get it. And the physical. You will get a novice Solo1 permit at first and after 2 events without f***ing up you get the upgrade.
Renting a car for a school is always a good choice because you can concentrate on driving and not worry about breaking and having to fix it. A SS class car is always a good choice. If you don't complete the school it does not count so your car better be reliable and all the bugs worked out.
Try renting and if you get the license then decide what class you want to run, get the GCR and make it happen.

[This message has been edited by chrisbarr (edited June 20, 2002).]
Old 06-22-2002, 10:48 AM

I went through this myself and, as an instructor, saw many do it.

In modified classes the most common reason for not passing at a school or race, is that the car breaks. Happens often. Reliability is key. _Forget_ about getting a fast car, unless you want to spend more money just getting your license because you have to repeat stuff.

I instructed mostly Showroom Stock, where the most common reason for failure was to crash the car. The most common way to crash the car was to understeer off the course, turn the wheel and try to reenter at speed, and shoot across the track into something. I made a speech about this at the beginning. People still did it.

Remember that almost no one fails for going too slow. They fail by crashing or looking so dangerous that the instructor wouldn't want to be on the track with them.

Be sure the car and your safety equipment are good. People do get hurt doing this.

------------------
2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS
KBDDs, BMR STB and Panhard, 245/50-16 GSCs

[This message has been edited by V6Bob (edited June 22, 2002).]
Old 06-22-2002, 12:21 PM

Hmm, good points! I'm going to have to sit down and think and plan this out.. Sigh, looks like if i want to start this soon, I'm going to have to scrap most of my vacation travelling plans and put less in the bank.. Hmmmm..

I'll go order the general racing rule book first and thumb thru it in the meantime.