Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Newbie needs some help, on best parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 07:52 AM

Question Newbie needs some help, on best parts

I'm going to lower my car 1 inch and I read that if you don't upgrade the stock sway bars that they may not be able to keep up??
I have 1994 formula I don't really drag race or auto x, but like taking coners hard i live on a mtn and try to push my car up the mtn and have fun. What sway bars do I need will a 35mm give me lots of oversteer I really don't want a bunch of oversteer. How about the bmr 32mm thanks for your help guys.

------------------
God is good.
1994 formula
3.42 Richmond,HPP III,160 stat,Boral Cat Back,BMR Strut tower brace,Linfgelter Cold air,TPI Air foil,Grantlli MAF,Leather,A4,relocated IAC,Powerslots and hawk pads.
Old 06-21-2002, 08:22 AM

i've got the BMR front and back...great kit with everything needed and great price...

works wonders on my stock springs/shocks!!

go for it..

------------------
ARREST-ME RED 96 Z-28, M6...stock for now...but i've only had it three days...1st mod on day 4! TB airfoil...NOW...G2 CAI(modified), K&N, MagnaFlow w/ cutout(closed of course), maf ends, ?cags?, UD pulley, TB bypass, 160stat, SLP fan switch, SLP air temp module, Hypertech PTM, MSD 6A, Hurst(SS donation) with a Lou's SStick and Proform Shiftlight, BMR lca, phb and stb, 32/21mm sway bars w/ poly bushings and endlinks, ES poly TA mount, air silencer???
Chrome salad shooters w/ SZ50's
Waiting to go on: 1LE springs, SLP afpr

For Sale: stock exhaust+ sq. tips, 30/19mm sway bars w/ stock bushings
Old 06-21-2002, 05:19 PM

"What sway bars do I need will a 35mm give me lots of oversteer I really don't want a bunch of oversteer."

Actually a bigger front bar increases understeer (but not as much as you would think - the improvement in camber lessens the change. It can even (rarely) improve the camber enough to cause oversteer on a car with a really lousy camber curve, but not on an f-body).

"I'm going to lower my car 1 inch and I read that if you don't upgrade the stock sway bars that they may not be able to keep up??"

When you lower the car you are increasing the spring rate and lessening the need for the sway bars to control roll. So I don't understand why someone said this.

If you don't understand suspension theory you're playing with fire when modifying your suspension, especially with sway bars. You need a pro to help (a real pro, I'm seen some really dumb stuff on the net).

------------------
2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS
KBDDs, BMR STB and Panhard, 245/50-16 GSCs