Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

I can't decide what tires to get!!

Old 11-09-2008, 12:24 AM

I can't decide what tires to get!!

I'm gonna start actively autoxing again next season. I've been out of the loop for about 5 years now. I'm driving a new car, and I'm basically starting over as a newb again. The car is the 94 z28 in my sig.

I've got two ideas for tires, and I can't decide which to run with:

1) I've got a set of goodyear GS-D3's in the following size laying around.
245/45/17
275/40/18

I got those tires for free, I just don't have a set of wheels for them. I can purchase a set of vette wagon wheels for $200 shipped, and have a working wheel tire combo.

I haven't raced in a while, so I wold just enter the car in an STO/STX run whatcha brung class, and spend the season really learning my car. I think I would learn more about the car's limits while driving with street tires.

2) get a set of 245/50/16 BFG Gforce R1 DOT R tires.

I've got a spare set of 16x8 salad shooters, so I could have a set of dedicated race wheels/tires in addition to my street tires. THose tires are REALLY expensive though, and I don't know if I should relearn how to drive on a high priced race tire.

3) I've currently got 255/50/16 Gforce sports on the car for Daily driving. Should I just run with those for a while? The fronts badly need to be replaced.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:30 PM

The Kumho V700s that my car currently wears were purchased from eBay for well less than the new price.

You may also want to ask around your local autoX group to see if someone has any used tires for sale.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

FWIW, GS-D3's suck for autocrossing. Very vague at the limit!
Old 11-11-2008, 10:33 PM

I'd be learning on a real tire, not a street tire.

I'd look for a used set of 245/50/16 race tires and throw them on your salad shooters and have fun on the cheap. this could be the best option.

Maybe after that you will want to pony up and find some 17" rims and nab up some V700 Kumhos in 275/40/17..
Old 11-12-2008, 04:41 PM

Actually, learning on a street tire benefits an inexperienced person in several ways...

1) A street tire "howls" as it nears the limit of adhesion. This gives the driver an audible cue (and one that they are already familiar with) of what is going on with the contact patch.

2) Less time changing tires at the event means more time walking the course, asking questions and just plain thinking about nothing but driving.

3) A street tire means less grip. Less grip means the car will be slower. A slower car lessens the chance of something bad happening should the inexperienced driver make a mistake.

4) Then there is obviously the cost issue. There will be plenty of time to burn through tire money once (if) you decide to get serious.

So, my suggestions...

Start with a street tire.

Move up later to a V700 Victoracer or V710 Ecsta. I like the 710 for a new guy because they're really not that much more expensive than the 700, last almost as long as the 700, and have very round and forgiving tread shoulders. They also beat the driver over the head with feedback.

If you still feel like spending money after you've run through a few sets of tires and learn how to take care of them (ie - not abuse them / burn through them), you can think about Hoosiers. I've found Hoosiers to be less tolerant of caveman type driving. You just can't man handle them like the Kumhos. They are faster though and I think the need to pay attention to what you're doing has made me a better driver.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:19 PM

what about the 555 RII's ? best of both worlds? Im planning on giving them a try for my all around tire.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Tricked-Out-Toy
what about the 555 RII's ? best of both worlds? Im planning on giving them a try for my all around tire.
I have yet to find anyone who actually has a set of those. I'm very curious to hear some experiences with them if anyone has any.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I have yet to find anyone who actually has a set of those. I'm very curious to hear some experiences with them if anyone has any.
I know me either.. Im probably going to be test mule for the guys around here.. I really jsut hate changing tires at the track. it isnt that bad when you get there but after a long hot day you just want to get in and drive home... plus with the cage i would need another car to come along and bring the wheels... or a sweet trailer.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:45 PM

http://www.nittotire.com/#index%2Eti...5r2%2Eoverview
Nitto 555RII Extreme,been running them for 3 years now,excellent in the rain at freeway speeds,very stiff sidewall for autocross turns,so stiff in fact that when I had a flat,I didn't realize the tire had no air in it because it held the car up to almost normal height.I kept them on as all-purpose tires.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:50 PM

I mis-read the first post.....Just use the R1's on your salad shooters... You're not 16 and learning how to drive...you've done this before. It's fun to be in the running with others and if you are out gunned just because you have street tires on...that's no fun.

And as far as forgiving and "losing it" or "getting in trouble"....you're not land speed racing....it's in a parking lot.. And you can go at it again on the next lap... Goodluck!
Old 11-23-2008, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
http://www.nittotire.com/#index%2Eti...5r2%2Eoverview
Nitto 555RII Extreme,been running them for 3 years now,excellent in the rain at freeway speeds,very stiff sidewall for autocross turns,so stiff in fact that when I had a flat,I didn't realize the tire had no air in it because it held the car up to almost normal height.I kept them on as all-purpose tires.
I'm intrigued by those, as well as bridgestone potenza's super duper awsome extreme performance summer tire. I made a vow to stop buying foreign made products though, unless absolutley necessary.

Originally Posted by AutoRoc
I mis-read the first post.....Just use the R1's on your salad shooters... You're not 16 and learning how to drive...you've done this before. It's fun to be in the running with others and if you are out gunned just because you have street tires on...that's no fun.

And as far as forgiving and "losing it" or "getting in trouble"....you're not land speed racing....it's in a parking lot.. And you can go at it again on the next lap... Goodluck!
I really wanted a set of R1's, but.... I decided to buy a house. I'm gonna run on street tires this season, and get R1's next season, when I can afford them better and not have to race my Daily driver.

I'm going to get a set of BFG KD 255/40/17's for my front wheels, and use up my GSD3 275/40/18's on the rear.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Malice 1
I made a vow to stop buying foreign made products though, unless absolutley necessary.

Originally Posted by Malice 1
I really wanted a set of R1's, but.... I decided to buy a house. I'm gonna run on street tires this season, and get R1's next season, when I can afford them better and not have to race my Daily driver.

I'm going to get a set of BFG KD 255/40/17's for my front wheels, and use up my GSD3 275/40/18's on the rear.
You do know that BFG is owned by Michelin and that Michelin is a French company, right?
Old 11-23-2008, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Chewbacca
You do know that BFG is owned by Michelin and that Michelin is a French company, right?
I did not know that.

According to tirerack, however, BFG's are manufactured in the US, where bridgestone, firestone, and many others are manufactured overseas.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:18 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodrich_Corporation

Even though B.F. Goodrich is still a popular brand name of tires, the Goodrich Corporation exited the tire business in 1988. The tire business and use of the name was sold to Michelin.
FWIW, Michelin also owns Uniroyal...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelin

In 1988, Michelin acquired the tyre and rubber manufacturing divisions of the American B.F. Goodrich Company founded in 1870. Two years later, it bought Uniroyal, Inc., founded in 1892 as the United States Rubber Company. Uniroyal Australia had already been bought by Bridgestone in 1980.
*shrug* Just an FYI.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Chewbacca
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodrich_Corporation

FWIW, Michelin also owns Uniroyal...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelin

*shrug* Just an FYI.

Well... that kinda blows. I just looked at my BFG gforce sports though, and on the sidewall is the phrase: "made in the USA".

I can live with that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I can't decide what tires to get!!