Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

How much more work is it to autoX a convertible?

Old 02-12-2006, 11:03 PM

How much more work is it to autoX a convertible?

I'm not going to, actually would like to pick up another F-Body once I'm out of college as a autoX'er but regardless, I was wondering how much more work/time/money/effort it is to do a convrtible autoX car. It cant be that bad. I know it would need a rollbar/cage, but any serious autox car would have that anyways, and SFC, and the typical suspension mods ... I dont think ive ever seen a convertible F-Body though set up for autocrossing, so it had me wondering.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:06 AM

Re: How much more work is it to autoX a convertible?

I have not seen any F-body verts at an auto-x, but that doesn't mean you cant. If you just want to get out there and bang some gears, then do it. If you want to be competitive, then you might want to reconsider your selection. I have T-Tops and due to that I installed SFC's. Which put me in the Street Modified Class, which I'm getting my A$$ kicked by BMW's with lots of stickers.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:55 PM

I ran my stock 97 SS conv. and placed solidly in the middle of the pack. Only safety requirement was a helmet. No work just drove and ran.
But I'm assuming your talking about regional or national points, and probably prepared class. To be competitive requires effort, but I don't thinks its any more work to run a convert. then a coupe. Only drawback I see is the weight issue.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:04 PM

Interesting that they didnt make you have a roll bar. I was just told that to take my car to a track by my house, I would need a roll bar before they would let me take it out, even on their open days where anyone can bring any car.

I didn't know SFC's changed the class, but that kinda sucks. Thats one suspension modo that F-Bodies really do need. Too bad it throws it into a different class.

I'm kind of new to the whole auto-x thing, but I'd like to learn more about it.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:52 PM

380ss what is a Tom Henry 380 SS ? Do you have any pics of your car ? Just curious what it is, never heard of it before. Thanks!!
Old 02-14-2006, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by HardcoreRM125
Interesting that they didnt make you have a roll bar. I was just told that to take my car to a track by my house, I would need a roll bar before they would let me take it out, even on their open days where anyone can bring any car.

I didn't know SFC's changed the class, but that kinda sucks. Thats one suspension modo that F-Bodies really do need. Too bad it throws it into a different class.

Autocrossing won't usually require a rollbar/cage. Open tracking is a different beast!
Old 02-14-2006, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by RedHottG2
380ss what is a Tom Henry 380 SS ? Do you have any pics of your car ? Just curious what it is, never heard of it before. Thanks!!
go to this website to view my pics....http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...&a=30878935&f=
Old 02-15-2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by HardcoreRM125

Two common orgs for this are: http://www.scca.com/ and https://www.nasaproracing.com/index.html

Check their rules.

Last edited by Z28SORR; 02-15-2006 at 11:51 AM.