Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

C5 upgrade, do LS1 brake lines fit? (or are C5 lines required as well)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 09:31 PM

C5 upgrade, do LS1 brake lines fit? (or are C5 lines required as well)

I have a set of stainless steel brake lines for an LS1 that I was gonna use for my LS1 upgrade, although I'll probably be going with a C5 upgrade instead.

So... I have C5 calipers, C5 pad abutment frames (w/14mm bolts), C5 pads, and need to know if the LS1 lines will work for this upgrade, or if I need longer lines.

Anyone done the C5 upgrade using the LG Motorsports, or Nashville Speed, adaptor brackets and 12.8" C5 rotors?

If not, how much longer are the C5 lines over STOCK LS1 lines (I belive the Earl's SS LS1-lines I have are a bit longer than stock).
Old 03-11-2003, 10:45 PM

I am using the stock lines with my C5 brakes (LG G-stops).
Old 03-11-2003, 11:42 PM

SWEET!!!

Hmmm... so all I need now are to sell my KVR LS1 rotors, get some pimp C5 rotors, and the LG bracket...
Old 03-12-2003, 12:01 AM

Anyone have pics of the LG brackets?

I've seen how the Nashville Speed brackets mount and I'd like to compare them to the LG set (as far as how easy it is to mount them without removing the spindle-arm from the car).
Old 03-12-2003, 01:13 AM

I had a set of stainless LS1 lines on my car when I swapped over to the C5 calipers and rotors. The LS1 lines are too short. You can physically make them work...i.e. bend the mounting tab a little bit, and they will be "alright" as long as the suspension is loaded. As the suspension unloads you will need the extra length of the C5 stainless steel lines. I havn't measured the distance but it is at least a couple of inches. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:03 AM

Steve, I do not have photos of the LG brackets, but they are very simple to install.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by Metlegleo
I had a set of stainless LS1 lines on my car when I swapped over to the C5 calipers and rotors. The LS1 lines are too short. You can physically make them work...i.e. bend the mounting tab a little bit, and they will be "alright" as long as the suspension is loaded. As the suspension unloads you will need the extra length of the C5 stainless steel lines. I havn't measured the distance but it is at least a couple of inches. Good luck.
Same here. The stock f-body lines are pulled tight when the supension drops. I used C5 lines with no problem.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:20 PM

The Corvette C5 front hose (14.75" long) is the correct length for the F-body also, after fitting C5 brakes. Fbody hoses will be too short. With the GM C5 hose in place on the Fbody, you have the same hose slack that the Corvette has. If you are using aftermarket brake hoses, with wheel at full rebound (droop), turn the steering wheel to full lock in both directions and verify that the hose still has slack. It can’t be pulled tight at all or it will rupture very soon – the Teflon used in braided hoses is fragile.

Bob Bishop
Old 03-13-2003, 12:47 AM

Thanks Bob.

So I guess the next question is... where is the cheapest place to get SS lines for a C5... and only the front 2.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:28 AM

Good luck trying to buy just the front two. I called around, and everybody has them as a 4pc kit. So I called Earl's to find out if I could buy just the front two seperately and they acted like they had no idea that they sold brake lines at all. I had to give them exact dimensions of both the hose and the hose ends, then they told me it would probably be around $150 - $175 for them to make them for me. I would have thought that they could have pulled up the specs in their computer, but it seems that they're made by "someone else".

I called Summit and ordered a complete set for $90 instead.

I do have a set of brand new OEM C5 brake lines that I didn't use if you're interested. Never installed, only removed from the package for dimensional measuring
Old 10-28-2003, 07:49 AM

Sorry to drag up this old thread...

I am seriously considering going w/ a C5 brake upgrade on my car, and I have a couple of questions. 1) How much improvement is the C5 upgrade over the LS1 stock system. 2) Can I still use the stock 16 inch wheels or do I have to upgrade to 17s? 3) Do the C5 rotors resist warping better than the LS1 rotors? Thanks for the info!
Old 10-28-2003, 10:51 AM

The C5 set up is a marked improvement over the LS1. You'll need to upgrade to 17 inch wheels to clear the rotors. The C5 caliper is a better casting than the LS1 and I haven't experienced any warping with the C5 rotors. As an added bonus the C5 rotors are actually cheaper than the LS1 rotors to purchase. Good luck.