Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Who would be interested in a different headlight assembly for 93-97 Camaro's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 06:45 PM

Re: Who would be interested in a different headlight assembly for 93-97 Camaro's?

Perhaps we could convince whoever makes the lamps to make 2 different styles one that cuts the corners and one that doesn't.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:54 PM

Re: Who would be interested in a different headlight assembly for 93-97 Camaro's?

I'm definitely in for a pair to fill the void.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:55 PM

Brangeta, another good point. First lets see if we can get some more detailed photoshop pics of each, and go from there.

The more I look at Ponykillr's first pic of the teal SS, the more I like it the most so far. But it is a small pic, and when I enlarge it, the detail gets poor. I would like to see as many designs on this as possible. I am sorry I can't contribute since I don't have photoshop, but I will try to recruit others to post up possible concepts.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:09 PM

a solution would be to have the glass extend to cover the corners and the underside painted black. this would give it the optical allusion of being a single unit replacing the corners. The other solution would be to paint the corners gloss black. Still a PITA for the average buyer.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:24 PM

Ponykillr, anyway you can blow up, and add more detail to your first photoshop picture of the teal SS?
Old 10-15-2006, 09:42 PM

Before I bought my 99Z28, was wanting to do this also. I was in the process of modifying a 91 Chevrolet pickup truck parking lamp. It fit under the hood and the euro style looked just like a headlight housing.. It was gonna take some fabrication and changing the angles of how the bulb mounts, but wouldn't look incredible. In the meantime, I did the Hella FF75 Conversioin and added these flush mount Wade Automotive clear covers--notice they don't wrap around like the GTS, Lund, Etc.. I loved the look and got lots of compliments. Maybe these pics can help guide you in a direction or atleast make for decent photoshop material. Check out the rest of my cardomain as well because these pics are pretty blurry, but the only ones that show the clear covers.

The rest of the conversion pics: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/693103/9
Old 10-16-2006, 12:27 AM

Hmm... that pic helps a lot Rebel!

After seeing it, I'm not sure it is to my taste to like a headlamp that fills the entire void of the buckets.
Even though this looks daaaaaamn good:

I really think I would rather have something that replaces the stock headlights and still fit under the hood. Something like the headlights used on the '98 SLP Firehawk concept car.

Sort of like this, but better fitting underneath the hood.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:46 AM

One thing everyone should keep in mind...these headlights are a magnet for rocks/debris the way they sit back under the hood. I spent $300 in 2 months replacing stock bulbs on mine thanks to rocks and such just in normal city driving. That said, any light that isn't angled up to the hood,like my covers do, is not going to deflect any debris kicked up at it and will most likely crack and break. Chances are whatever is built/designed will cost more than the stock headlight bulbs so breaking and having to replace them won't be easy on the wallet.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:51 AM

That's weird, I've never had a headlight break, or a foglight either. Do you follow other cars closely? I always stay at least a car length away in the city, and at least 5 away on the highway.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Brangeta
That's weird, I've never had a headlight break, or a foglight either. Do you follow other cars closely? I always stay at least a car length away in the city, and at least 5 away on the highway.
Man, that's something I was paranoid about from the day I bought the car...always afraid of rocks and stuff. When I bought the car, it was missing a foglight. Bought a new one for $125 and within two weeks of me installing it, guess which one got broken...yep..the new one. So, I ordered foglight grills from gmpd.com and yanked the fogs. At this time, I was still trying to develop the headlight housing out of the pickup truck parking lamp. That's when I abandoned the idea because of the flat face the housing would have and hunted down the Wade covers and just did the FF75 conversion. I never follow closely and always try to keep my car from getting knicked or glass broken. I did however see a rock fly up from a dump truck that pulled out in front of me: it hit the headlight cover and bounced right over the roof of my car and onto the road behind me. Didn't even do anything to the cover. I was SO happy! Made it worth every minute I spent on the install and every $$.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:05 AM

For those who are interested in just upgrading the headlights, you can do what Rebelphotog96 did. Or there is a huge good thread here; http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...ppy+headlights that has great details and info on some Hella 90mm beams.

What I am looking for here though is to create a whole new headlamp assembly, not just replace the bulbs with something different and put a cover over them.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rebelphotog96
Before I bought my 99Z28, was wanting to do this also. I was in the process of modifying a 91 Chevrolet pickup truck parking lamp. It fit under the hood and the euro style looked just like a headlight housing.. It was gonna take some fabrication and changing the angles of how the bulb mounts, but wouldn't look incredible.

Funny enough, I had been looking at doing something with C/K truck euro headlamps. I believe there is enough room width/heightwise to make those fit without doing some major butcher job on any plastic fender pieces.

As for the area behind the lamps and getting rid of the holders and making that accessible to change bulbs out....well, I am just trying to get the car running right now, so further exploration comes later.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:52 PM

Well I have contacted a few people who waven't gotten back to me if they would be able to do some more photoshopping, or drawings.

Ponykillr, any progress on your first picture of the teal SS?

Has anyone else made anymore progress? I can't wait to get this thing going.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brangeta
Consider yourself lucky, I just replaced a broken headlight only to have it cracked again within a couple month's time. I don't follow closely behind anybody because I don't want rocks flying at me and hitting my paint. I stay at least 5 behind and usually much more than that in all instances. I think I'm going to get some clear plastic to put over them kinda like the windshield tearoffs in NASCAR.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:57 PM

For years I thought about covering my entire car in an inch thick of rubber just to protect it from door dings

Quick Reply: Who would be interested in a different headlight assembly for 93-97 Camaro's?