Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Touching up or will they have to repaint the whole car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 08:40 PM

Touching up or will they have to repaint the whole car?

I have a mystic blue metallic camaro. Well and old man ran into the car Friday while I was at autozone. It didn't break the bumber but it did get red paint all over it with some pretty deep scratches. Well I was told by a body shop, because there was a place I wanted to get touched up, that they could not touch that car up. They said you would have to repaint it. Do you think they can just paint the whole bumper to make it match or what? I was planning on getting the whole car repainted anyway. How much do you think a full paintjob for mystic teal metallic would cost?
Old 10-07-2009, 03:23 PM

A good shop should be able to color match the paint and just do the bumper. It wouldn't be uncommon for them to possibly blend the rear qtrs if it is a really difficult formula.
A complete repaint cvan be 800-8000 depending on the prep and additional body labor that may be required
Old 10-08-2009, 07:03 AM

Thank you very much
Old 10-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Banned

I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone else when it comes to paint jobs. Go to a shop (or a couple of shops) and tell them what you want. Get an estimate, and then consider what you want to do. It shouldn't cost you anything more than time to get an estimate.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by shock6906
I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone else when it comes to paint jobs. Go to a shop (or a couple of shops) and tell them what you want. Get an estimate, and then consider what you want to do. It shouldn't cost you anything more than time to get an estimate.

Absolutely!!
I would check 3-4 shops out.
But don't let price be your only determining factor.
If a shop gives you a price that is significantly lower and the only cars they have in the shop are 12 year old Camrys and Accords, you might wanna move on.

Alot of shops will have a website or photo album to brag about their work.
Always see what types of cars are in the shop.

Or you could just ship it to us ... www.autopaintri.com
Old 10-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LILBLKZ28SS
But don't let price be your only determining factor.
If a shop gives you a price that is significantly lower and the only cars they have in the shop are 12 year old Camrys and Accords, you might wanna move on.
I agree. Don't let price be the determining factor in who you get to paint your car. I you buy a cheap paintjob, you're going to get a cheap paintjob. I cheaped out on getting my Z-28 painted and I ended up getting f**ked royally. It was never finished, and I lost my *** on every penny of it. I ended up having to get it painted elsewhere.

Some people aren't worth a s**t.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:15 AM

Mystic teal and bright teal metallic both likely have issues with repainting because they contain some sort of material that reflects different colors. I can understand why traditional repaint and blend techniques might be risky, because (using bright teal as an example) you could end up with a bumper that looks blue and the rest of the car looking green just because of the angle the paint was sprayed on the bumper.

I have this issue with my Grand Prix GXP. It's stealth gray metallic, which is normally a dark dull teal, but in certain light it is blue, and in other light it is gray. Well, when my car is in the garage, the touch up paint I have on it shows up a completely different color than the rest of the car at 6pm because of the way the metal flakes lay or something and the way light is hitting it. But in the bright noon sun, you can't see a color difference.

That's probably the issue they are making a big deal about. Either way... I say just get the bumper repainted and deal with the problem IF it arises. It'll probably arise, but who cares? The likelihood of them repainting the car and it having the exact same problem just from them changing the way they are holding the paint gun as they spray different parts is probably just as likely in my opinion...

I'm not a painter, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Brangeta

Either way... I say just get the bumper repainted and deal with the problem IF it arises. It'll probably arise, but who cares?
The problem with painting just the bumper is that the painter will mix enough paint for JUST the bumper. If the color is off and he has to go back and blend the rear quarters, even the slightest deviance when remixing the formula will create a color that may be very slightly off. He may end up reshooting the bumper which could be costly.
A good shop will look at the color and the formula and know which colors they need to blend quarters on. That's one of the reasons I love BLACK, I never have to blend!!
Old 10-08-2009, 01:58 PM

When i got my ground effects painted the shop had this interesting paint scanning tool hooked up to a computer. It scanned the current paint of the car then it printed out what the exact blend needed to be so it matched the rest of the car. Needless to say it matched perfect
Old 10-08-2009, 08:03 PM

Well it would be awesome if they did blend the fenders because that is where the blemishes are on the car.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by johnny6
When i got my ground effects painted the shop had this interesting paint scanning tool hooked up to a computer. It scanned the current paint of the car then it printed out what the exact blend needed to be so it matched the rest of the car. Needless to say it matched perfect
I had the hood on my Z28 repainted and they say they used that same tool, but on my quasar blue car the hood turned out more like navy blue . I made them redo it and it looks much better now...they were also morons so I'm sure it wasn't the tools fault.