CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Appearance (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/appearance-34/)
-   -   Steering Wheels (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/appearance-34/steering-wheels-50774/)

2001 LS1 SS 11-23-2002 02:07 AM

Steering Wheels

The ONLY thing that i dislike about my SS is the steering wheel. I'm not sure exactly what it is but it just doesn't fit good in my hand. Anyway, i was wondering if anyone has an aftermarket steering wheel and has pics. Or send a link. Any input is appreciated

v7guy 11-23-2002 07:09 AM

Well you can put just about any aftermarket steering wheel on your car but keep in mind that it is illegal....the whole airbag thing LOL!!!
If you do a search you'll probably find some pics.

94BlackBowtie 11-23-2002 07:24 AM

I think CamaroCassanova has one on his car...
If you search for his name there should be a link in his sig, or you could probably find him promoting his car in most of the threads...:D

Erik 94TransAm 11-23-2002 08:17 AM

On my old 1988 Firebird I used to have (my first car), I couldn't stand the steering wheel either. I bought a Momo steering wheel and loved it. It was so much smaller and I hated driving another car with a regular steering wheel. The only thing is those cars didn't have air bags so it wasn't a big deal. But here's a link to their website (they look much better then a stock steering wheel also)

http://www.imotorgear.com/dept.asp?s...dept%5Fid=1901

notstock4long 11-23-2002 01:28 PM

if you have racing seats and harnesses you don't need airbags do you. They wouldn't help, but would it still be illegal?

Erik 94TransAm 11-23-2002 02:46 PM

I don't think it's illegal to not have a airbag. I think it would just be illegal for shop to deploy your airbag then install the steering wheel. If you can find a shop to do it, or if you can deploy it somehow then it would be fine. If you get in an accident they can't make you fix your airbag, it's your choice. That's what I think at least. :confused:

Erik

Roshambo 11-23-2002 02:51 PM

I have the same problem, I just dont like how the wheels feels or looks, and I honestly dont care if I lose the Airbag on the driver side, but I do have a few questions for anyone who has done this.

1. Is it possible to leave the passenger side airbag functional?
2. What adapter kit would I need from say, Grant?

I'm guessing since its technically illegal to remove our airbag wheels there isnt a kit that says its for 93-02 F-bodies? ;)

Thanks in advance. :)

-Roshambo

ibanez6rg 11-23-2002 03:42 PM

Originally posted by 94BlackBowtie
I think CamaroCassanova has one on his car...
If you search for his name there should be a link in his sig, or you could probably find him promoting his car in most of the threads...:D

Well in order to do the search, you might want to get his name right :p CamaroCasanova

IMO - I don't think his sterring wheel is going to be the one that twittles your tale :o ;)

94-3.4 11-23-2002 05:20 PM

Does anyone know if a corvette steering wheel would fit on our cars? I think they are perfect and you could possible even keep the airbag. Any thoughts?

2001 LS1 SS 11-24-2002 11:38 AM

Originally posted by 94-3.4
Does anyone know if a corvette steering wheel would fit on our cars? I think they are perfect and you could possible even keep the airbag. Any thoughts?
Tha's a good idea, aside from the fact that a Vette sttering wheel has the two Veete flags right in the middle of it and that would look pretty dumb in a Camaro. If you could find a way to switch that then that's a good idea. I'm gonna look into that

neil350 11-24-2002 05:03 PM

Taking out the air bag, just seems like a hassle waiting to happen, couple of the auto x guys have gone it, one guy on this board has a or had, he wanted to sell it, well any wayz, he has a momo stering wheels with mathing shift knob, looks super clean.

Erik, Nice Trans Am!