CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Appearance (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/appearance-34/)
-   -   SS Hood differences? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/appearance-34/ss-hood-differences-35026/)

Highlander 10-12-2002 11:19 PM

SS Hood differences?

I would like to know the differences between the SS hood OEM GM, ASCD, Suncoast Creations, FiberglassFabricatorsinc.com

That being the order on expensiveness...

I would like to know why the ASCD is more expensive than the others... Given that the fiberglass fabricators is not a functional hood.

Greasepunk 10-13-2002 03:38 AM

Dunno:confused: I have a suncoast creations hood on mine. wasnt too bad.

aircop40 10-13-2002 11:06 AM

hey whats up man, i have a suncoast creations hood on my car and am very happy with it, check out my site if u wanna see pics of how it turned out. lata

Viper 10-13-2002 12:04 PM

All I can tell ya is that for a fact the American Sports Car Designs SS Hoods are exact replicas. They use a factory SS Hood to make the mold. Some of the others I have seen are not exact replicas. Small differences in them...... :)

Highlander 10-13-2002 05:32 PM

give some examples

I would love to hear some instances where they are not exactly alike...

The thing is that for now shipping is a big concern and the people from suncoast creations offered me a great shipping price...

I am really interested in opinions in the suncoast creations

BTW Greasepunk great looking hood... how much work did it had to undergo?

Thanks

pu12en12g 10-13-2002 05:49 PM

After looking at MANY MANY photos of the Suncoast and ASCD, the differences become quite obvious.

The ASCD is definately closest to a factory SS hood. Fiberglass Fabricators is also almost identical (but NOT functional). The Suncoast hood looks really great, but definately has a different angle on the scoop. It is hard to tell the differences without looking at them both at the same time to compare from several different angles.

Highlander 10-13-2002 06:45 PM

Very nice to know... Other than the angle... Fit and finish is the same on both hoods??

Thanks

Viper 10-13-2002 07:24 PM

Originally posted by The Highlander
Very nice to know... Other than the angle... Fit and finish is the same on both hoods??

Thanks

All I know is a guy here local has a fiberglass fabricators hood on his 95 and it is nowere near the same as a Stock SS Hood. Go with ASCD and you will get the best stock looking one. As far as Suncoast goes they suck IMOP I had very very bad luck with there crap.........

Viper

Highlander 10-13-2002 08:23 PM

Hope ASCD gives me a good shipping quote so I can order it...

Looks like the ASCD is the best choice then...

Greasepunk 10-14-2002 12:51 AM

I've had no problems with my Suncoast Creations hood. And as for bein a little off from factory SS hoods, well I dont own an SS so why would I want it to look like a factory SS? I just like the design. So IMO find all the hoods in your price range then judge which one you like the best....

pu12en12g 10-14-2002 01:24 AM

Here is a hood comparison of several manufacturers:

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...8_371_full.jpg

Greasepunk 10-14-2002 02:33 AM

Nice... I wish that it was more accurate though, the pics are all from diff distances from the scoop..still a good comparison though...

01pewterz28 10-14-2002 10:52 AM

The difference between ASCD and SCC's.

ACSD mold there hoods from actually GM SS, and WS6 hoods (they own or have owned the following cars to do it from 97WS6, 97 SS, 98 SS, 98 WS6).

SCC's hoods are all hand drawn.

The ASCD hoods use the actual GM black plastic hood scoop grills. Where SCC's use a metal/mesh style that cannot be removed.

I have owned the following

SCC's 96-97 WS6 style I went through 5 hoods in 12 months they kept falling apart SCC's told me to take a hike.

I then went to ASCD 97 WS6 hood great much better fit and quality then the SCC's.

99 WS6 hood- Again much better fit and quality

01 SS hood and SS spoiler (ASCD) great fit and quality.

For pics see my site www.01pewterz28.cz28.com

Sean

Highlander 10-15-2002 09:47 AM

I made the order with ASCD they have it on sale for $625

I think that $81 difference is meaning less when compared to quality