Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

?'s about OEM SS hood

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 11:31 PM

?'s about OEM SS hood

Ok, so I've been searching around this forum, and I've established that the OEM SS hoods are composite, not steel (which I thought they were). If they are, what is the difference between the OEM hoods and the aftermarket fiberglass hoods? I'm asking about the 96-97 SS hoods, if it matters. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:20 AM

I believe the aftermarket fiberglass hoods will be lighter then the composite SS hood. By how much, I don't know...
Old 05-28-2008, 11:11 AM

Like always, it depends on which aftermarket hood you buy.
Some are almost indistinguishable from the OEM hood and some are very thin and light weight.
If the hood is advertised as a replacement or street hood with the factory mounting points it will most likely be close to OEM in weight and quality. Also if it comes with the SLP style functional CAI box and hoses it will be more like OEM.
If it's advertised as a racing hood or specifically says "light weight hood" and/or doesn't have the factory mount points, it's probably going to be the light racing style.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:09 PM

Well I'm guessing you're asking this because you are wanting an SS hood. So, the biggest diffrence is the fitment (neglecting material)

OEM hood is going to fit like a glove. Fiberglass hoods are more of an iffy subject. Some fit really well some fit like crap. Like most things dealing with cars, you get what you pay for. Not all fiberglass hoods are created equal.

All FG hoods I've seen in the SS variety can be made functional to run the 96-97 airbox.

Not sure if that answers your question but I gave it a shot.

~Jim~
Old 05-28-2008, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by BassProCamaro97
Well I'm guessing you're asking this because you are wanting an SS hood. So, the biggest diffrence is the fitment (neglecting material)
That's my biggest concern. I've heard that fiberglass when painted never comes out as good as steel, but if the OEM SS hoods aren't even steel, then it won't really matter. But if I was to get an aftermarket SS hood I'd want it to look as close to OEM as possible.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:24 PM

In my personal opinion paint never looks as good on FG as it does metal. Even on my VFN FG hood I can see waves and other small FG related defects. That does't bother me.

I have heard stories that FG can suck/absorb paint if not painted correctly. Thats more of a body shop issue but its something to be aware of.

I like my hood and I'm glad I went with VFN for it. That being said, it does not fit perfectly. It's not noticable unless you're looking at the fitment but it's an issue.

Here is my suggestions:

Buy from a reputable that stands behind their product( harder to find now then it should be)

If you are looking for just the plain jane SS hood size ( I'm speaking of the height of the scoop/cowl) then probably the best bet to see if you can get the OEM

If you are looking for a taller scoop or a cowl hood then obviously go with the FG.

~Jim~
Old 05-30-2008, 07:46 PM

So does anyone know a reputable dealer that sells a fiberglass SS hood that is very close to the OEM look? And I am seriously suprised nobody has started making the OEM style SS hood yet. You think Classic Industries or Goodmark would get in the game, even making a steel SS hood.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:38 PM

Or does anyone have some close-up pics of their OEM LT1 SS hood? Preferably of the air scoop and the underside. That way I know what to look for. Thanks!