CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Appearance (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/appearance-34/)
-   -   Powdercoating Question (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/appearance-34/powdercoating-question-249564/)

bigdreamZ 04-13-2004 01:07 PM

Powdercoating Question

I just recently powdercoated my brake calipers and I have gone ahead and applied Brents decals to them. I was wondering if anyone knows if it is safe to clear coat over powdercoat. I called BMR where I had my parts done and they had no idea. I figured I would check here and see if anyone knows.

Xride 04-13-2004 02:06 PM

I dont see how it woudl hurt anything... but why not call up where you had your brakes coated and ask? or any coating place really.

pu12en12g 04-13-2004 02:24 PM

I'm surprised that BMR didn't know

I can't think of any reasons that it wouldn't be safe though. Just make sure to use the proper clear coat (High temp - Automotive).

bigdreamZ 04-13-2004 02:52 PM

Originally posted by Xride
I dont see how it woudl hurt anything... but why not call up where you had your brakes coated and ask? or any coating place really.
I did, I called BMR and they said they didn't know.

Originally posted by pu12en12g
I'm surprised that BMR didn't know

I can't think of any reasons that it wouldn't be safe though. Just make sure to use the proper clear coat (High temp - Automotive).

Yeah I was suprised as well... I think I will just take your advice and go ahead and try it with the high temp clear and pray that it turns out nice.

pu12en12g 04-13-2004 04:16 PM

Originally posted by bigdreamZ
I did, I called BMR and they said they didn't know.

Yeah I was suprised as well... I think I will just take your advice and go ahead and try it with the high temp clear and pray that it turns out nice.

Make sure to do very light coats, so it doesn't run.

phrozen 04-14-2004 04:17 AM

It's pretty damn hard to damage powder coat... in fact I don't know why you'd even bother clear coating over powder.

plappo 04-14-2004 07:27 PM

I powdercoated my calipers red, then put camaro decals on, then did a clear powdercoat on top. They look beautiful. That was about a year ago, they still just wipe or powerwash clean and look like new. The clearcoat on top makes the decals look like they are etched into the caliper.

Mr.Whitey 04-14-2004 11:08 PM

Originally posted by plappo
I powdercoated my calipers red, then put camaro decals on, then did a clear powdercoat on top. They look beautiful. That was about a year ago, they still just wipe or powerwash clean and look like new. The clearcoat on top makes the decals look like they are etched into the caliper.
What type of clear powder did you use and how long was the cure? I'm just curious how the vinyl lasted through the cure w/o burning...:confused:

plappo 04-14-2004 11:15 PM

they were the metal decals. I stuck on the decals, preheated for 10 minutes, then sprayed on the clear. Baked for 20 minutes, killed the heat and let cool in the oven.

Dave88LX 04-14-2004 11:25 PM

Decals? :confused:

bigdreamZ 04-16-2004 10:19 PM

Decals, you know the brake caliper decals? You an get them on Brents site. Anyways the reason for my post is to just say that I used the High Temp clear coat and it worked perfect for anyone else who runs into my similar situation.

Drumhawk 04-17-2004 08:23 AM

Originally posted by bigdreamZ
I used the High Temp clear coat and it worked perfect for anyone else who runs into my similar situation.
You got it right. :thumb: