CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Appearance (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/appearance-34/)
-   -   My 97 Z4C project...A Work in Progress (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/appearance-34/my-97-z4c-project-work-progress-869173/)

97Z4CZ28 09-22-2012 09:24 AM

My 97 Z4C project...A Work in Progress

6 Attachment(s)
Well here is a pic of the car as it was when I first obtained it. Not the best photos...but. Many other mods not seen or described but will be in due time. Stock motor, when comes time to do rebuild plan to stroke it out to a 383. Trans is 4L60E, which I plan to swap out to a built 4L80E when I stroke to 383, has shift kit and aftermarket stall. Moser 12 bolt rear end with 3.73 gears. Have a set of ZR1 style deep dish 17 X 9.5s for fronts and 17 X 11s for rears with Nittos all around to go on when she is ready to roll again. These are going to be painted artic white as well to match the car! Pacesetter LT headers ceramic coated with O2 bungs, with Off road Y pipe, deleting cats, aftermarket cat back with stock tips. I am maintaining the EGR system however as I feel LT1s tend to run better with EGR in tact although I know you can tune it out, but removing EGR doesn't accomplish anything in my view and can create more issues than its worth. I have deleted the Air pump system though. POLY bushings all around, motor mounts, tranny, end links, sway bars, torque arm. Aftermarket Panhard rod, LCA's, Torque Arm in as far as suspension mods this far. Have many other things in the process of doing as well. And eventually plan to repaint car, taking doors, hatch, hood, and everything else off so it can be done right and paint the stripes on versus decals. It IS a work in progress!
Attachment 6826

Pic of what engine bay looked like when I first got the car. Pic doesn't show it but dirty, rusty...ah doesn't cut it in my book lol! Plus I'm not into stickers in an engine bay not my cup of tea ha ha ;-) to each his/her own.
Attachment 6827

Here is what it looked like once engine bay was repainted. Also, notice hood with liner removed...this nasty thing will be getting repainted as well ha ha! The engine bay was in much need of some help, dirt, rust and such, so I ripped everything out and off and in the process of replacing every bolt, nut, hose (AC lines and radiator/heat hoses), clamps (stainless polished), complete stainless polished hex head bolt kit, all new accessories (everything), completely stripped, sanded, primed and repainted the entire engine bay. ALL hoses, accessories, and other parts are original AC Delco parts. Powdercoated intake orange, accessory bracket black, all mount brackets black, oil pan, POR-15 the block orange, new valve covers, completely redone wiring harness re-tapped and new wire loom, OTVC wires/brackets. So you get the picture of what I am doing.
Attachment 6828

A few pics of once block was painted Chevy orange, and firewall and frame rails were finished painted artic white, of course K member semi gloss black. I am almost ready to put it all back together and will begin doing so this week as matter of fact. Should get it done and to the tuner in time to drive it a few times before putting away for the winter as it is NOT a daily driver.Attachment 6829Attachment 6830Attachment 6831

More updates and pics to come as I progress slowly but surely ;-)

mudbone 09-22-2012 01:28 PM

I'll be watching for updates. Looking good so far.

ZeeS7o7 09-25-2012 12:29 PM

Re: My 97 Z4C project...A Work in Progress

Looking real good so far!!!!

D'Z28 09-26-2012 04:01 PM

Nice

97Z4CZ28 09-26-2012 10:41 PM

Appreciate it guys! It will def be worth it in the end.

Dave

97Z4CZ28 10-17-2012 09:17 PM

10 Attachment(s)
A few updated pictures of where I am at now. Headers are installed, new Energy Suspension Poly Motor Mount Bushings (what a pain in the *ss), NGK TR55 Spark Plugs installed, Oil Pan Installed, and Timing Cover installed. Pics of a few other items as well.
Attachment 6606
I ruined a waterpump shaft seal in the timing cover while installing it, knew it was gonna happen as the WP coupler is attached to the shaft...I gotta figure out how to get it off and install new seal. Powdercoated the Timing Cover. Polished Stainless Hex Heads.

Attachment 6607
Powdercoated the oil pan, installed with Polished Stainless Hex Heads.

Attachment 6608
I got the Pacesetter Headers with Air Injection tubes and EGR pipe connection, although I have deleted the air injection system. I need to find caps to fit the Air Injection tubes to seal them off...anybody have any suggestions???

Attachment 6609
Energy Suspension Poly Motor Mounts Passenger Side

Attachment 6610
Energy Suspension Poly Motor Mounts Drivers Side

Attachment 6611
Powdercoated the Intake manifold Orange. Have full set of Polished Stainless Hex Head Bolts for it as well.

Attachment 6612
I polished the Fuel Injectors by hand and sent them off to InjectorRX and had them cleaned and flow matched.

Attachment 6613
Holley 52mm Throttle body polished by hand.

Attachment 6614
Proform Valve Covers tapped off red painted areas and painted Orange to match scheme of car.

Attachment 6615
High Temp POR-15 orange on new Front Calipers.

Dave

Video 10-18-2012 06:34 PM

Im extremely jealous. I hope to see some videos of this bad boy.

I like that your painting everything. Saves you from rust! I honestly dont understand why this isnt done at the factory.

97Z4CZ28 10-23-2012 08:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well she is beginning to look like an Engine again! Found some brass caps to cap off Air Injection pipes on headers, don't think they look to bad and they should hold up pretty good I think. Installed EGR pipe to pass side header...another royal pain in the A$$. Hooking up to the Intake was no issue at all. bent pipe out and away from back side of intake as well. Installed Intake, and new Valve Covers with OVTC brackets (have pre-cut and assembled 8mm MSD black Super Conductor wires to go on once I mount New Delphi Optispark). Also no pics yet but installed the Y pipe as well, have everything snugged up at the moment, got to get another band clamp for where I cut Exhaust. Ordered new heated O2 sensors to mount in headers as well. Gonna make a heat shield for drivers side to help protect fuel lines. I am installing braided stainless fuel lines with stock style disconnects, rerouting fuel lines in behind brake booster. Will be routing the wiring harness soon as well. Hope to get some more stuff done tomorrow before going to work since weather has been awesome last few days. Few Pics of how its beginning to look. More as I get more stuff done...just need time now!

Attachment 6524
Intake looks red in some pics but it IS Chevy Orange!

Attachment 6525

Attachment 6526

Attachment 6527

Attachment 6528
Note the Brass Caps installed on Air Injection pipe on header. Also not the OVTC brackets by Smoothie, these things are great!

Dave

97Z4CZ28 11-11-2012 09:33 AM

New update

10 Attachment(s)
Finally got a day to do some more work on the engine bay done. Just need a few good days and I will be close to being ready to fire her up!

New AC Delco Waterpump with 160 degree Thermostat
Attachment 6452

Hub and Underdrive pulley installed, not bolted down yet.
Attachment 6453

Passenger Side MSD 8.5mm Superconductor Over the Valve Cover Spark Plug Wires with Smoothie brackets Attachment 6454

Drivers Side MSD 8.5mm Superconductor Over the Valve Cover Spark Plug Wires with Smoothie brackets
Attachment 6455

View of Engine prior to installing Altenator
Attachment 6456

Powdercoated Accessory Bracket with new AC Delco Belt Tensioner
Attachment 6457

New AC Delco 140 Amp Alternator installed
Attachment 6458

View of Altenator with powdercoated brackets
Attachment 6459

Fuel rails polished and lines painted black with New AC Delco Schrader Valve and cap installed
Attachment 6460

Fuel Rails installed on intake. Fuel Injectors were ultrasonically cleaned, new filter baskets, O-Rings and collars, and flow matched.
Attachment 6461

Stay tuned hope to have more accomplished weather and time permitting!

Dave

mudbone 11-16-2012 04:05 PM

Still going strong.

SchaefZ28 11-17-2012 12:20 AM

Someday I hope to be this meticulous when I build my engine.. keep up the great work!

97Z4CZ28 11-17-2012 08:24 AM

Thanks Mudbone! It gets tedious at times and seems like other things or work gets in the way but I just keep on ...keeping on!

97Z4CZ28 11-17-2012 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by SchaefZ28 (Post 6925790)
Someday I hope to be this meticulous when I build my engine.. keep up the great work!

I don't know if being this meticulous is worth it sometimes lmao! I hope it all comes out in the end the way I want it too. Thanks!

97Z4CZ28 12-21-2012 09:44 AM

As of Early December...

10 Attachment(s)
Ok got a lot more accomplished now and am close to having her ready to fire up soon I hope! With weather holidays and work no time to play. Was able to route wiring harness so that it did not have to interfere with intake manifold or valve covers, I think it looks cleaner this way. ALL I lack as of now is to finish installing shrouds, condensor, radiator, all applicable hoses, install Master Cylinder, fluids (steering, brake, and radiator), install stainless braided fuel lines, drain old fuel, install new fuel filter, install PCM, hook up Positive cable and see what happens! Doesn't sound like a lot but no time means nothing done, which in turn leaves me frustrated to the max., not to mention I am closing on a house next week as well, so more fun begins! The good thing IS I will finally have her garaged and will be able to work and not have to worry about putting everything away! And NO elements to detour me from working on her!!! So a few pics of where she was at this time. Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas!

Dave

Attachment 6071
ABS Module Installed only lacking Master Cylinder installed. Coil installed as well.

Attachment 6072
LT4 Damper installed onto UD pulley. All Accessories mounted as well including new AC Delco Starter.

Attachment 6073
Wiring harness completely ran on drivers side of engine bay.

Attachment 6074
Wiring harness completely ran on Passenger side except to PCM which is not installed yet. All new AC Delco AC lines, dryer installed. New AC Delco Battery installed new AC Delco cables run, POS cable not hooked up yet and battery is hooked up to a battery tender to keep charged.

Attachment 6075
Front view of how it looked at this point.

Attachment 6076
Bottom view of Holley 52mm Throttle Body with bottom powdercoated and new AC Delco sensors installed.

Attachment 6077
Holley 52mm Throttle Body installed front view.

Attachment 6078
View from above of engine with TB mounted. All sensors are plugged in and wiring routed. All accessories mounted as well and new Serpentine belt is also installed.

Attachment 6079
Deep dish OE ZR1 style wheels painted Artic White to match the car. 17 X 11 rears and 17 X 9.5 fronts. Nitto 555s to be mounted soon. I had the inside of the rims painted completely to the rear of the wheels as well, well worth what I paid to have them done!

Attachment 6080
Smooth Center Caps painted at same time with vinyl Chevy bowtie I had made to fit clearcoated on. These are gonna look great with Orange rotors, Zinc chromate drilled slotted rotors.

mudbone 12-22-2012 08:09 AM

I love this thread!