CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Appearance (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/appearance-34/)
-   -   HELP!-What type of paint for corvette rail covers on engine? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/appearance-34/help-what-type-paint-corvette-rail-covers-engine-22633/)

johnsocal 09-03-2002 10:53 PM

HELP!-What type of paint for corvette rail covers on engine?

Im wondering what type of paint should i use to paint the corvette rail covers that i installed on my lt1 z28.

Should i use high-heat paint on plastic?

Or is there another type of paint that works better?

Thanks in advance!

johnsocal 09-04-2002 02:43 PM

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS?

akrott1 09-05-2002 08:38 AM

I painted my homemade aluminum fuel rail covers with duplicolor ceramic engine paint. I really don't think you need to use any special paint. The heat is really not that bad. The prep work on the plastic covers will be the most important. make sure you sand them good and use several coast of sandable primer (light sanding after each). You can check out the pics of mine in my sig...under engine bay pics...

------------------
94 Z28 LT1 A4
BLACK w/ FLAME RED INT
20k Orig. Miles
SLP CAI
2OTL Cat Back
Hypertech 160 TSTAT
BMR STB
http://community.webshots.com/album/36772017dOzRqG

iamsparc 02-18-2003 12:18 PM

How in the crap are you supposed to sand down in those little areas where the lettering is?! I don't think I trust myself quite that much with a dremel! Didn't someone say you could just use model car paint like testor or something?

-MIke

jenaz28 02-18-2003 01:32 PM

For mine, I just grabbed some black spray paint, I didn't get anything special, and they have been in for over a year now with no problems. As for the dremel - if you want it to continue to say "corvette" then good luck... but if I remember correctly, it was already smooth in the grooves so you should be fine.
Me personally? We dremeled them enough so the bondo would fill in and stick well. Looking back, i wish I had sanded all of the covers because there were a very noticeable difference in the texture of the bondo and FRCs.

Side note - I did not sand the interior parts when I painted them silver, and I like that look better. BUT I do recommend sanding the FRCs. (So at least you can get an opinion based on my personal taste.)

Make sure to post pics!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/jenaz28

iamsparc 02-18-2003 02:20 PM

Jena, you have really got some good pictures on your link! I absolutely love the one with the Black SS Hood scoop with the clouds reflecting against it:bow: ...I put that one as my background. Whoever took that photo has some talent. (oh...and the other pictures were nice too. <wink>)

As far as the fuel rail covers go. I think I'm just gonna get some red model car paint and fill it in. I'm not all into the bondo thing and trying to make it say 'camaro'. More trouble than it's worth, IMHO. Althought it would look nice.:D

jenaz28 02-18-2003 04:11 PM

Thank you for the compliments! The Black camaro's picture was taken by someone I went to high school with - the guy who owns it. (I have not talked to him in a while though, so I have no clue how the car is doing, lol), and the majority of the other pictures (the ones especially with the "time" still on them) were taken by my boyfriend (the one who owns the W68).

When we made mine say "camaro", we just used decals and put a clear coat of paint on them. I wish I'd taken pictures along the way. Unfortunately we scratched them up a little bit on the install and just threw up our hands and decided that we weren't gonna mess with them anymore. :alert: IT IS A VERY TIGHT FIT. :alert: The passenger side fits perfectl but we never could get the driver's side to rest all the way into place. (you never notice it until it is pointed out or if you happen to tap on it - then it wobbles.)

Good luck!

craigffb 02-18-2003 08:23 PM

I listed every thing here. Mine still look the same as the day I put them on in 98.

Check here .

jenaz28 02-18-2003 09:40 PM

Since we have both LS1 and LT1 installations here - were the LT1's covers difficult to actually put in? (as in hard to make room to shove up in there? we had to cut some of the end of the drivers side cover off to make it fit.. and I've heard of others having to do the same)

craigffb 02-18-2003 09:53 PM

Originally posted by jenaz28
were the LT1's covers difficult to actually put in?
Nope, not at all. Cut a notch for the fuel pressure regulator on the drivers side, and 2 (one for the alternatr braket and one for the valve vent tube) on the passengers side. Screw in the studs and pop them on. Very easy.

Fallchild000 02-18-2003 10:43 PM

I bondoed and sanded and bondoed and sanded a billion times, then a few shots of Primer, then sand..then Basic Acrylic Spray paint on the covers and the emblems, then after i had the emblems and the covers together I shot a few coats of clear over everything.... and on top of the intake it does not get that hot at all I have noticed Zero peeling or chipping. Here are pics:

Fuel Rail Covers 1
Fuel Rail Covers 2
Fuel Rail Covers 3

Nathan

craigffb 02-18-2003 11:06 PM

Originally posted by Fallchild000
I bondoed and sanded and bondoed and sanded a billion times, then a few shots of Primer, then sand..then Basic Acrylic Spray paint on the covers and the emblems, then after i had the emblems and the covers together I shot a few coats of clear over everything.... and on top of the intake it does not get that hot at all I have noticed Zero peeling or chipping. Here are pics:

Fuel Rail Covers 1
Fuel Rail Covers 2
Fuel Rail Covers 3

Nathan

The reson I didn't use Bondo is because it shinks under high heat. And the top of the motor does get very hot. It gets hot enough that I remove the rail covers when I go to the track to help keep temps down. Some guys told me they had bad luck with Bondo shrinking back when I put mine on so I just got someting else, and like I said they look the same now as the day I put them on.

Fallchild000 02-18-2003 11:27 PM

Originally posted by craigffb
The reson I didn't use Bondo is because it shinks under high heat. And the top of the motor does get very hot. It gets hot enough that I remove the rail covers when I go to the track to help keep temps down. Some guys told me they had bad luck with Bondo shrinking back when I put mine on so I just got someting else, and like I said they look the same now as the day I put them on.
Thanks for the info, I didnt know that. I hope mine will be alright, so far they are fine, I'll just cross my fingers for now!

thanks though,
nathan