CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Appearance (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/appearance-34/)
-   -   Fog Lights Upgrade??? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/appearance-34/fog-lights-upgrade-324047/)

PonyStalkerZ28 12-08-2004 09:57 PM

Fog Lights Upgrade???

I did the silverstar conversion to my LT1 headlights and it looks great but I was wondering if there are any better bulbs made for our foglights(make them brighter and whiter)?

Brenden

RacingTiger04 12-09-2004 02:06 AM

Re: Fog Lights Upgrade???

ive got a small question for you on your headlight change to the silverstars.. did you have any trouble getting the bulb to line up very well? thats always been my main concern keeping me from doing it, im worried i wont be able to get the bulb lined up right inside the glass... oh and if i remmeber right they are 810 series bulbs and they're are quite a few aftermarket choices for them :) ill check here in a sec... ok my mistake it was an 885 but i think i remember someone saying something about using the 810's for some reason... i know i remmember 810 bulb for something @_@

PonyStalkerZ28 12-09-2004 03:44 AM

No I didnt have any trouble at all with it, it was farely easy, it only took me about 30 minutes to do it and most of that was getting all the old junk off and mixing the epoxy. Thanks for the info, if you find anything else out please let me know.

Brenden

94BlackBowtie 12-09-2004 07:46 AM

You can change the bulbs out in the fog lights, yes.
Just find some "hyperwhite 885 bulbs" (try google) or any of the 885's cross references. The 885's are the highest wattage in that range with 37.5 watts, but if you are mainly after color, then you gotta sacrifice something I guess. :thumb:

jwade95Z 12-09-2004 03:44 PM

I didn't actually try this ...

but after I installed the Hella 75s for fog/driving lights, I cooked the foglight housing (in the oven) to take the glass off. It looks like to me that you could modify the housing to accept another model number bulb, given that the new bulb was short enough to stay behind the glass. There are some other H* model bulbs, like the ones that actually come in the Hella 75 housings that are two-wire bulbs (H7 I believe). So, you could do the same epoxy trick you use for the headlights to mount a different model bulb in the foglight housing for a stock look. The metal cover in the foglight housing is removable.

I have no clue how the reflector in the stock housing would perform, but since the lens is patterned, it may work well without blinding everyone.

I have since sold my car, so I didn't try this. I was considering it, because I didn't like the fit of the Hella's all that much, and they were difficult to aim properly. I was getting flashed way too much.

Anyway, an option for the stock look with better bulbs.

eagleknight97 12-09-2004 11:17 PM

Using the stock housing, what you got is about as bright as you are going to get. When I put in new bulbs for my headlights, I wanted to get bulbs that matched my headlights in my foglights, so after readin and searchin up on the subject, I decided to disassemble the stock fog housing and take out that metal piece in there, in hopes of unlocking amazing amounts of light :rolleyes: however this was not the case :( All i succeded in doing was losing two of the retainers and getting absolutely no extra light. SO, I have now decided on putting some FF75's down there and make that light useful. The only problem I see is actually mounting them, so that i can take them on and off easily so I can put in different bulbs if I so desire. So im going to take off my whole front clip so I can have easy acess to the whole bracketry and all that. We shall see how that little endeavor goes :cool:

Z95m6 12-09-2004 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by eagleknight97
Using the stock housing, what you got is about as bright as you are going to get. When I put in new bulbs for my headlights, I wanted to get bulbs that matched my headlights in my foglights, so after readin and searchin up on the subject, I decided to disassemble the stock fog housing and take out that metal piece in there, in hopes of unlocking amazing amounts of light :rolleyes: however this was not the case :( All i succeded in doing was losing two of the retainers and getting absolutely no extra light. SO, I have now decided on putting some FF75's down there and make that light useful. The only problem I see is actually mounting them, so that i can take them on and off easily so I can put in different bulbs if I so desire. So im going to take off my whole front clip so I can have easy acess to the whole bracketry and all that. We shall see how that little endeavor goes :cool:

If you would try to document as much as you can when you do that i think we would all appreciate it. I wouldn't mind having some bad ass foglights for my car. That way i don't have to worry about butchering my car up to much or blinding people all the time with my headlights.

eagleknight97 12-09-2004 11:27 PM

Well, I was going to probably do it next week, but I guess I could prolly wait till after Christmas, cuz then Ill have a nice new digital camera and can post some pics of the whole process. I think ill do that.

Bud M 12-10-2004 08:26 PM

You really don't need to pull the front clip. Just remove the air dam and you can get in to where the fog light brackets bolt on. Pull the stock brackets and driving lights and make up a set of brackets for the Hellas that bolt to the same holes. I did it all that way. With the front end off, you won't know where the driving light openings are.

Z95m6 12-10-2004 08:39 PM

Bud how did you make your brackets. What i'm wondering is how do you aim the foglights?

dmoor88 12-10-2004 10:11 PM

you dont need to remove your front clip to access the foglight brackets. just jack up your front end and you'll see what i mean... I didnt even have to remove the air dam...

Z95m6 12-12-2004 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by eagleknight97
SO, I have now decided on putting some FF75's down there and make that light useful.

This may sound like a stupid question but i'm wanting to replace my foglights with the FF75's. I was searching ebay and i saw 2 kinds listed driving lights and fog lights. What kind do I want to use? Whats the diff? I have stock housings with silverstars so i would be relying on the Foglights to put out most of the light. So which would give me the most light and work best? The foglight FF75's or Driving light FF75's.

eagleknight97 12-12-2004 02:20 AM

The driving light FF75's will put out way more light. Well, they both probably put out the same amount of light, but the driving light one will put the light in a place where you will use it more.....ahead of you. The Fog light kind will be just that, a REAL fog light, not intended to help you drive. If you go to Hellas website, you can click on a link that shows how far each light puts light on the road.

Bud M 12-12-2004 08:59 PM

My mounts are made from flat aluminum stock. Its around 1/16" thick. I got it at a local surplus metal supply. I made one mount for a pattern then made 2 brackets when I had the dimensions figured out. My finished mounts were no more than about 4 by 5 inches. I had to put a few washers of various thickness between my mounts and the car to make the lights level.
The hella brackets allow for twisting at the bracket mounting bolt and pivoting where the light screws to the bracket so you can adust them left/right and up/down.

my94blackz 12-13-2004 08:59 PM

If i went into advance auto and wanted a aftermarket fog light and asked for a light that fit with no modification or different brackets what could i get and whats the part number?