Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Flame Gauge Install - STUCK

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 11:34 AM

Question Flame Gauge Install - STUCK

Hey guys,

I began installing the RKsport flame gauges I got about a month ago. But as I began to take apart my dash I ran into a problem and I am a little stuck now.

Here's the problem: I took off the lower dash panel, radio dash panel, and now have the dash pod (the part where the gauges are inside of which raises up from the normal front dash connecting to the window. This is the part where the speedometer, etc is conceeled). Anyways I have that lifted up but my instructions tell me to look for two screws, but I am unsure of which to take off. If I lift the pod up enough I can see atleast one screw farther back, but it looks EXTREMELY difficult to get to. And if I take that off I think I will be taking the entire pod off when it said I shouldn't have to do this.

I also had access to the clear plastic that covers up the bezel and needles, which I decided to take off the 4 screws. But that hasn't really gotten me anywhere yet.

So I'm sort of stuck. I think I might have to re-secure the clear plastic and dash pod itself and go to work in about an hour and a half and tackle the rest later. It's a real bummer...I was very excited to see these installed.

So if anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:51 PM

I did this install twice but not rksport gauges but it should still be the same. I just took the entire pod off so I could lay it in my lap and make it easier to work on. Also you can hold the pod up to a light and put the overlays over the factory gauges and make sure it is lined up correctly. Sorry I can't answer your question the way you proably want but this is at least some input
Old 12-23-2002, 10:24 PM

Well at least thanks for the input. I'm just gonna have to get a day where I can really sit down and do this.

Also, nice ride. Sometimes I really wish I had a Z...

Old 12-26-2002, 09:25 AM

Take off your a pillars on both sides, then remove your dash pad.
Get out of your car and look on top of where your gauges are, you will see 2 bolts there, they have to be removed, ROYAL PITA but they need to be removed to get to it. Once they're removed, you should be able to remove the whole gauge cluster and then take the clear plastic cover off so that you can instal the overlays.