Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

DIY: CD/Cassette Holder Switch Plate

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 01:47 AM

DIY: CD/Cassette Holder Switch Plate

If you have a 93-96 camaro, you know of the useless CD/Cassette holder during a time of bluetooth and AUX cords. Well, why not make use of it instead of a junk drawer. 6LE makes a nice plate you can buy but this is more for the DIY guys who don't want to pay $40.

You need:
Grease pen or something you can wash off
Jigsaw
12"x12" 1/8" thick ABS black plastic (bought mine on Ebay for $7 shipped)

Step 1: Measure the best you can, the dimensions of the inner lip of the compartment. The plate you cut is also going to cover the cigarette lighter plate as well so make sure to measure all the way across

Step 2: Once you have your measurements, make your cut. You may need to make minor adjustments after your cut. I cut one plate using my measurements to use as a draft and then created a final piece that fit well.

Step 3: Using a flat head, pop off the plate holding the cigarette lighter. I put it in the crease and pried it out.

Step 4: Remove the cigarette lighter clip and disassemble the cigarette lighter. Disassemble and remove from the plate by removing the bolt on the back.

Step 5: Now you can trace the hole from cigarette lighter plate to the plate you cut

Step 6: Drill out the hole. Its better to go smaller and remove small amounts of material. You want the cigarette lighter "cartridge" to fit snug to give a clean look.

Step 7: Once you get the hole the right size, you'll want to place the ABS plate you cut on top of the original cigarette lighter plate.

Step 8: When you try to reassemble the the cigarette lighter you'll notice the additional ABS plate doesn't allow you to screw the assembly back together. All you need to do is cut ~.25" off the end of Outer shell (dull silver piece, may be made of tin?) of the cigarette lighter.

You should get something like this.

Step 8: Customize however you want!

Because the ABS plate is securely attached to the cigarette lighter plate, there is no other need to anchor it to any other part of CD/Cassette holder. I would suggest when you are fitting your piece, that you fit it so you can't push the right side of your ABS plate into the empty space it is covering. The right side of your ABS plate should fit snug.