Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Can ANYONE help me with these stupid Wings West Ground Effects..?????????

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 09:38 AM

Can ANYONE help me with these stupid Wings West Ground Effects..?????????

Does anyone have an idea as to how to get these things to actually STAY ON.? I bought the whole kit front rear sides etc.. and the car looks great but the front spoiler and one of the sides keep wanting to hang loose and will not stay put. I used that wortless double sided tape that came with the kit but that stuff is a joke! I finally took the passenger side panel off yesterday because it came loose AGAIN and got scuffed up on the ground while driving at 55mph! UGHHHHH! The way these things are made is there ANY way to mount them per say with rivots or ? to actually get them to stay put. I have looked at some larger and wider double sided tape but am weary about all that crap as it seems they need a more permanent mount. ANY SUGGESTIONS would be helpful at this point in time. thanks guys!
Old 05-18-2003, 10:02 AM

Re: Can ANYONE help me with these stupid Wings West Ground Effects..?????????

Originally posted by kartracer04
ANY SUGGESTIONS would be helpful at this point in time. thanks guys!
The body panels where the kit ataches should have been wiped with some type of wax remover before installing with two sided tape. Also the kit should be atached with screws in the wheel well openings! Hope that helps!
Old 05-18-2003, 10:25 AM

Re: Re: Can ANYONE help me with these stupid Wings West Ground Effects..?????????

Originally posted by Al@368
Also the kit should be atached with screws in the wheel well openings!
only way to go.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:45 AM

Rivet front and back pieces and get some good double sided tape.

I got 3M 1/2 inch wide cost $50 can. for 20 yards.

Clean the rocker panel first with rubbing alcohol a couple of times, and also the ground fx piece stick on tape be careful because if it touches where you don't want it you can't peel it off.

It stickes way better than the original crap

GOOD LUCK

RYAN
Old 05-19-2003, 11:24 AM

Same thing happened to my front piece so I used about 5 screws.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:51 PM

yeah man...either screws or small nuts and bolts with some threadlock. Screws with some epoxy on the other side might work as well.

-Mike
Old 05-19-2003, 02:10 PM

I told my body shop about people having problems with them falling off and he told me that's just because the place that installed theirs didn't clean the area well enough. He was nice enough to still put a couple self tapping screws in as extra measure but I've never had any problems with mine.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:44 PM

here's the answer

Hey dude...

I have the same problem...my side pieces and rear piece were put on my camaro last year with double sided 3m heavy duty tape. I cleaned the area really well but did not use the adhesive promoter...(not sold in stores) And I should have bought the real auto 3M tape for cars...also not available in stores. Needless to say my ground fx did not last the winter and when I just took them off last week the tape wasn't even holding them on anymore. However I think I have found the real answer. It's a product called duramix made by 3M. It's a special urethane expoxy used specifically for ground fx. As soon as I get my pieces repainted I'm going to use these. Below is a link to the site that sells the 20cc (#4129) container for 10 bucks. The have a 6oz bottle for 30 bucks..(#4125), but I don't think you need that much...maybe..i'm only going to use it for the side pieces. Also is a site that shows how to put the rk sport ground fx on and it actually recommends using this product. Please read...really good info. I tried posting a thread on if anyone has used this product but no one responded. However after much research I would say that this special epoxy holds like a son of a gun...i have no faith in TAPE..blah.

http://www.handsontools.com/store/sh...roduct_id=9616

http://www.nbm.com/restyling/past_ar...or_success.pdf

Let me know how it comes out!!!

Thanks,

Robert O.
1995 Camaro
Old 05-20-2003, 07:28 PM

IMO you should go ahead and screw them in. I have already done the 3m tape thing twice on my front and back peices. I ended up finding a bunch of screws around my friends shop and drilled them in. yeah, it's not the most artisticly appealing solution...but at least you won't be loosing your gear.

Peace! -mj
Old 05-24-2003, 04:54 PM

Yea but where u r putting the screws it sounds like u wont see them unless u go under the car? Am I right? just lookign att he vehicle and stuff u will not see the screws..so its ur best bet...cuz like the one guy said. You wont be losing ur gear.

Cory
Old 05-25-2003, 03:52 PM

I molded my Wings West kit on last summer. (Pics in sig)

I hit a large deer and it held up very well...

Old 05-26-2003, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

I put my WW ground effects on 5 years ago. They are held on primarily with the double sided tape. After 5 years they are still stuck like you wouldn't believe. In fact, we messed up on one a little while putting it on and it took like 10 minutes to peel back just a foot of the ground effect that was already stuck it was stuck so good.

As has been mentioned, make sure there the surface is CLEAN and wax free.

The only place mine are screwed in is in the wheel well area and a couple screws either in the front or back. I remember we couldn't get some screws in where we wanted (in either the front or back?) so just waited to see how the tape would hold up... so far 5 years later it is still sticking good!