Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Anyone seen these taillights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 02:14 AM

Question Anyone seen these taillights?

Finishing up some of the appearance stuff on my car before I delve into the mechanical and utterly destroy my gas mileage and magically attract every cop in the tri-state area (so far only the local ones seem to like following me :P)... but I digress...

About a year ago I remember seeing a set of aftermarket taillights, they had the same color setup and placement as stock, however they had a blacked out housing, a clear lens, and simply used white/red/amber LEDs, and also a set with a clear lens and the housing colored appropriately. I loved the look of these because they where sharper than stock, but managed to keep a somewhat stock look. The OEM's stand out a little on my car, but I want to avoid blacking them out on my '01, and I don't want my car to look like it runs off of 93 octane rice.
I checked ebay and a couple of other 4th gen places but my search is coming up fruitless. If anyone has, or has seen these I would appreciate the heads up =)

Thanks,
Greg
Old 03-23-2011, 10:07 AM

Re: Anyone seen these taillights?

I haven't seen what you're describing, but I have seen ones like these in person, and they look great at night:

The circle doesn't flow at all, and these don't look very good in daylight. It would be very interesting to see someone take a dremel and cut these into a pair of stock lenses.

These things just seem to plug right in and replace the stock bulb:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1157-...Q5fAccessories

Also, supposedly there's a way to get rid of the red on the tail lamps. There's a Trans Am or Formula on ls1tech and the owner removed the red from his tail lamps and replaced with red bulbs or LEDs. 6LiterEater made his stock tail lamps solid red. You might contact him, he follows appearance trends pretty well.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:09 PM

Hmm thanks for the info I've seen those ones as well, but the circles on them drive me nuts... There is also a black V6 near here that has the smoked black altezza lights that actually look pretty good. However I think those might drive the car a tad close to the tacky side, IMO.

My dad is good with electrical what nots, I might buy some LEDs, stock tail lights, clear lenses and see if I can let the creative juices flow :P ...hopefully not creating a fire hazard in the process.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:08 AM

since you have a black car, just about any Clear taillights are going to look good, you could just black out the white area and leave the red on your stockers,
Old 03-28-2011, 10:36 AM

Here's a couple pics of the clear version of what I posted above. I don't like the look at all.

I wouldn't even go as far as calling it ricey or anything. I'd just call it unattractive.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:16 PM

The only way those would look remotely good is if you gave them the ol' Niteshades-type treatment. I have to say, I'm disappointed in the lack of aftermarket lighting solutions for these cars, particularly the Firebirds. The few options that do exist (for Camaros only) look like absolute garbage. Hopefully a time will come where these cars get the aftermarket support that the first- and second-gen cars have.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:10 PM

I think they look good, much better than the stock red that clashes with that blue, plus the fact that they are LED is cool too. They actually look much better on the car than I thought they would.

Last edited by Evolution223; 03-29-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:31 PM

you mean like these? but modded for led?

this picture really doesn't show it, they are slightly darker. your best bet is to buy some black tinted tail lights and mod it with led's yourself, unless you can find the led tail lights you saw, and just tint them.

Last edited by Shivo; 03-31-2011 at 02:43 PM.