CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Appearance (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/appearance-34/)
-   -   93-97 Headlight motors the same as 98+? (and 98+ conversion questions) (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/appearance-34/93-97-headlight-motors-same-98-98-conversion-questions-36131/)

red95bird 10-15-2002 07:43 PM

93-97 Headlight motors the same as 98+? (and 98+ conversion questions)

hey, i have a quick question...will my 95 headlight motors work with the 98-up style headlamp doors? or is it a different assembly...i'm pricing out the 98+ front end since i need a new paint job anyway, and if the headlight motors are the same, that would be a BIG plus :)

also....how much will this complete conversion cost? i have read somewhere around 1500 complete with parts, after that, how much would my front end be worth to sell? since i need paint anyway, this would be a good idea IMO :)

thanks for any help you can give me!

steve

red95bird 10-16-2002 03:57 PM

anybody? :( :)

Brent94Z 10-16-2002 04:28 PM

The headlight motors are slightly different. I'm not 100% on this but you MAY be able to use a 93-97 left motor on the right side of a 98+. I also believe the electrical connectors might be a little different. Again, not 100% sure on any of this (other than I know it isn't a direct swap, left for left :D ).

red95bird 10-17-2002 08:47 AM

so in other words i'd be better off selling off my good motors and putting the money into 98+ motors instead of hacking mine up and messing something up and then having to buy 98+ motors anyway? :D

:cry: i was hoping the 93-97 would work...:think:

thanks brent :)

steve

90 Z28SS 10-17-2002 01:32 PM

Originally posted by red95bird
so in other words i'd be better off selling off my good motors and putting the money into 98+ motors instead of hacking mine up and messing something up and then having to buy 98+ motors anyway? :D

:cry: i was hoping the 93-97 would work...:think:

thanks brent :)

steve

That would be the best thing for you to do . Sell your headlamp assemblies as complete . When your buying the LS1 style headlamps assemblies most places sell them with motors as a complete unit and most dont want to separate the motors from the assemblies . Hooking them up is easy , you have the wires you need now , but there routed different . 97-earlier had 2 connectors , 1 3-wire for the lights and 1 2-wire for the motors . 98-up has the exact same wires in 1 5-way connector . The wires split for the dual headlamps within the assembly itself .

If you bought parts separately and shoped smart , I would think you could get the parts you need for WAY WAY less than $1500 . I see stuff like fenders , bumper covers and hood for sale dirt cheap all the time , even on this site .

Stuff you can re-use from 97-earlier :
-All your splash guards , fender liners are the same as the 98 stuff
- Fog lights you can re-use
-Bolts for the fenders , hood and hood struts you can re-use
-Wiring harness for the parking lights is the same as the LT1 cars

You can even re-use the 93-97 impact beam ....have to have the 98-up foam piece though . If you did that the fog lights will stick out a little farther than their supposed to . To put the fog lights where they should be you can either re-drill new holes in your 97 bar to mount the fogs or just used a 98-up impact bar .

Also helpfull to know ....there is a fender bracket ( 1 for each side ) that you need and is specific to the 98-up fenders . The bracket is located at the front of the fenders where the fender and bumper cover meet . It is a VERY cheap part , even new from the dealer .

When you do this , if ya got any questions man , or want any specific pictures ..fell free to shoot me an email .