Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Older 350 CI into 93-95 Camaro swap...

Old 11-18-2002, 04:05 PM

If you do a search in the lt1 tech section for aftermarket a4 shifters there was a post yesterday about it and there was a link to a guy that had the hammerhead in his stock console and it looks pretty slick.

I am actually doing a LT1 conversion to my former 3.4l this winter. It is really easy to just drop out the entire kframe with the tranny and engine together so it might be benificial just to swap out the kmembers at that time. I was also thinking that it might be possible to weld up custom mounts on the existing kmember. I remember reading that all it took to make a lt1 kmember to fit a bbc was just a little custom fab stuff and nothing extreme.

Here is a pic i found that might help you
http://www.coloradof-body.com/kevinb...istributor.jpg

Good luck to ya!

Last edited by 94-3.4; 11-18-2002 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-18-2002, 04:28 PM

so you want to go from a 240 rwhp motor to a c.170 (being very generous) rwhp motor?

uh, ok. we might have a new contender for slowest 4th-gen ever.

i guess i'm missing the point. you said earlier that you want better reliability, less maintainence. a carb will give you about four times more work than an fi setup.

tenn may not have sniffer tests, but if the inspector ever lifts your hood, your screwed.

i have that problem now. i have a 1985 blazer that the dude who owned it b4 me swapped in a sbc. and installed a victor jr. i have no idea how i'm gonna get it inspected. there are no emissions to speak of. he even left the cats completely off. we don't have sniffers here in austin, texas either. but if he lifts the hood, i'm screwed.

i've said this b4, and i'll say it again. removal of emissions equipment is a FEDERAL law, not state. not only does that mean that it doesn't matter which state you are in, it means if you get caught, you have HUGE fines.

more power to ya'. i hope it works for you. and let me know where you get it inpsected, it might be worth the trip for me.
Old 11-19-2002, 01:25 AM

motor mounts

i'm swaping a lt1 into my 62 impala. my understanding is that VATS disables fuel injectors, but my haynes manual says starter. my donor was a 93. either way running with a carb vehicle i dont think vats would stop ya.

i have motor mounts off a 93 lt1 from a camaro. they are different on each side, they were on my donor motor when i got it. if you need them just email me i'll give them to you + shipping.

i saw the car i got my lt1 from, and he had put a 383 carbed engine in it. he couldnt run a air cleaner the choke tower was soo close the the cowl. it was dark and i didn't see much else on the car.

the side of the LT1 block has extra reinforcements where the motor mount bolts on, and an extra bolt hole on the passanger side. swaping to older style mounts i had no problem, but putting newer mounts on old block, you might have a problem there.

on the tranny my 700R4 on the 93 was 3 inches longer the the 350, i had to shorten the drive shaft in my '62 impala by 3 inches. some custom tranny mount will need to be done. you wil need a longer driveshaft most likely.

one thing you might look at is moving the entire engine forward, i'm not sure how much room there is to do that, oil pan clearance, but just a thought.

anyways, theres the infermation i have, hope some of its usefull.

-Brendan.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:47 AM

i think the original question was about swaping a carbed engine into his 4th gen. it shouldnt matter of its' a 3 cylinder out of a metro or a v12 from a viper, if someone wants to do it more power to them, i dont think everyone has to question someone elses actions. lets give this guy some information he needs.

thanks,

brendan.
Old 11-19-2002, 11:41 AM

Thanks all for the great responses, I'll read them better and respond even to the odd one *cough* conquest *cough*when I come back from Ohio in two days, or tonight, if I can use the net...........

-Rabid
Old 11-21-2002, 02:25 PM

Ok I'm back and I think this is going to be a long post....

Originally posted by 94-3.4
If you do a search in the lt1 tech section for aftermarket a4 shifters there was a post yesterday about it and there was a link to a guy that had the hammerhead in his stock console and it looks pretty slick.
Link? I can't seem to find what your talking about maybe it's been deleted?

Here is a pic i found that might help you
http://www.coloradof-body.com/kevinb...istributor.jpg
where did you get this pic from? Is that a BBC? Any pics of the mounts?

i have motor mounts off a 93 lt1 from a camaro. they are different on each side, they were on my donor motor when i got it. if you need them just email me i'll give them to you + shipping.
YGM + YGPM

the side of the LT1 block has extra reinforcements where the motor mount bolts on, and an extra bolt hole on the passanger side. swaping to older style mounts i had no problem, but putting newer mounts on old block, you might have a problem there.
Im cornfuzzled on what you wrote here (although highly informative) Do you mean you used old mounts to mount the block to the frame and had no problem? I can/have any kind of motor mount made by chevy.....

i guess i'm missing the point. you said earlier that you want better reliability, less maintainence. a carb will give you about four times more work than an fi setup.
Uh, "ok" you mean I can totally remove a FI setup in ten minutes like a carb, instead of hours?? Or change an injector in minutes like I can a carb jet, versus hours? Or tune a FI setup by turning two screws and a good ear instead of hours like FI?? eh. maybe it's ME who doesn't get the point.

i've said this b4, and i'll say it again. removal of emissions equipment is a FEDERAL law, not state. not only does that mean that it doesn't matter which state you are in, it means if you get caught, you have HUGE fines.

more power to ya'. i hope it works for you. and let me know where you get it inpsected, it might be worth the trip for me.
WAAA! + Thanks!

so you want to go from a 240 rwhp motor to a c.170 (being very generous) rwhp motor?

uh, ok. we might have a new contender for slowest 4th-gen ever.
Uh, "ok". This motor has more than 170 RWHP, and was in both my 3rd gen camaro, and my 1957 chevy. Which is a hella lot heavier than any camaro EVER made. (4800 pounds) and it moved that baby pretty damn good, so line yours up, and we'll see how your 6 banger works for ya!! But the point of this is not speed, I don't need to act big and bad like I used to. I have a big ol' jones and I don't need to race everybody to prove it, any doubts? ask my girl, hehe.

i think the original question was about swaping a carbed engine into his 4th gen. it shouldnt matter of its' a 3 cylinder out of a metro or a v12 from a viper, if someone wants to do it more power to them, i dont think everyone has to question someone elses actions. lets give this guy some information he needs.
Thanks for getting (or trieng) to get this thread back on track.

So to sum up what I now know so far:

#1 need to possibly fab motor mounts
#2 need to get V8 crossmember from donor car or buy a tubular one.
#3 bypass VATS
#4 buy transmission adaptor and possibly lengthen/shorten driveshaft
#5 fabricate hoses and cooling system to work with stock
#6 cut firewall at dissy area
#7 buy new hood
#8 buy new shifter OR fab old one to work with 400 shift plate.
#9 replace fuel pump with TBI unit
#10 possibly replace rear end if it "yanks"

I miss anything???

The one problem I HAVE to solve is the motor mount problem.......

Thanks again,

-Rabid

Last edited by RabidDog24; 11-21-2002 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:09 PM

OK. first i highly disagree with fred about the 10 bolt. rabid: you said your not going out and doing neutral drops and stupid stuff like that right? the 10 bolt will be fine. you could run the 10 bolt with 500hp if you launch soft whats the point? dont worry about the rearend. i wanted to do a swap on my old 3rd gen to a carbed setup too. sold it for the T/A before i could. good luck

doug
Old 11-21-2002, 06:33 PM

no way to pass emissions

one of hte smog rules is you cant put a older moter in a newer car no mater the emissions output. you will have to cheat it by giving the inspector a crisp $20 or you can change the numbers on the block. But i doubt many mechanics will enforce it. depends on the inspection officer you go to.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:10 PM

If anyone is interested in bypassing VATS. Post on www.mfba.org and look for PureEvil he will send you some info on how to bypass it. It is not that hard you just need to find the resistor value in your key and splice it inline so that the computer still reads that it is there. Something along those lines if i remeber correctly.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by CASPER97TA
OK. first i highly disagree with fred about the 10 bolt. rabid: you said your not going out and doing neutral drops and stupid stuff like that right? the 10 bolt will be fine. you could run the 10 bolt with 500hp if you launch soft whats the point? dont worry about the rearend. i wanted to do a swap on my old 3rd gen to a carbed setup too. sold it for the T/A before i could. good luck

doug
At the point I made my statement, we knew very little, if anything about his motor, or how he was going to use it. I have yet to see anything more definitive than it is "built to the huilt (sp?)".........

I was just trying to stimulate thought, i.e. the word "probably"......

But then we've all seen some people who manage to break a 10-bolt with an automatic, street tires and a stock motor..... Again, assuming he wants a posi rear, he may not have one in the V6 chassis, so a replacement of some sort is called for..... but then maybe he doesn't want to race it, and posi isn't an issue, and maybe he doesn't want to drive too fast, so rear disc brakes aren't important either.........
Old 11-22-2002, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by CASPER97TA
Nope no stupid $hit like that. Now, used to, hehe. Well I actually did the swap in my 84, and it's a major PITA with no planning. With planning and enough $$$ I've seen it go very, very well. Thanks for the well wishes.........

Originally posted by TurbOracingone of hte smog rules is you cant put a older moter in a newer car no mater the emissions output. you will have to cheat it by giving the inspector a crisp $20 or you can change the numbers on the block. But i doubt many mechanics will enforce it. depends on the inspection officer you go to.
I have never had one inspected, dont know anyone who has, never seen a inspection booth/guy/place. So who cares? *knock on wood* LoL

Originally posted by LJ93Z28GMIf anyone is interested in bypassing VATS. Post on www.mfba.org and look for PureEvil he will send you some info on how to bypass it. It is not that hard you just need to find the resistor value in your key and splice it inline so that the computer still reads that it is there. Something along those lines if i remeber correctly.
One word, "Thanks" I was just about to ask about this.

Originally posted by Apex I have swapped a carb'd sbc into a '95 camaro and can say that its a major PITA. The cowl area forward and below the windshield needs to be cut away for dist. and air cleaner clearance,even with a low profile unit. The wiper mechanism will get in the way of the dist. and will need to be removed. The power steering hoses will need to be custom made. The alternator may interfere with the hood and will need a custom made mount, etc. After its all done you will not good access to the dist. cap, and should you have to pull the dist. out for any reason, you will get to do it by removing it in conjuntion with the intake manifold.
Apex bud, seems your the only one so far that has made it to third base. How did you mount the block, when the blocks are so different? Even that other guy says it would just bolt in, I've seen pics and diagrams, lol I just dont see it. :frown:

Originally posted by InjuneerAt the point I made my statement, we knew very little, if anything about his motor, or how he was going to use it. I have yet to see anything more definitive than it is "built to the huilt (sp?)".........

I was just trying to stimulate thought, i.e. the word "probably"......

But then we've all seen some people who manage to break a 10-bolt with an automatic, street tires and a stock motor..... Again, assuming he wants a posi rear, he may not have one in the V6 chassis, so a replacement of some sort is called for..... but then maybe he doesn't want to race it, and posi isn't an issue, and maybe he doesn't want to drive too fast, so rear disc brakes aren't important either.........

It does not matter what has been done to the motor HP wise. I started this thread to get a idea of how I could do this swap seeing as I had a chassis. (now I have 2 to pic from) The motor will bolt up the same whether I have 500 HP or a cracked block. Let's not put the camaro before the horse shall we? I need the motor in and actually [working] before I worry about the rear end holding up. So all that jargon above means nothing. And please lets not make this a "opinion" thread about emissions or speed issues. This thread is for TECHNICAL INFORMATION, NOT DEBATE. Everyone here that wants to add .02 can read the full thread and offer information. Your a mod, I need you to do your job, and not add kindling to the fire with " ".

That said, It now it appears I may have two chassy's to choose from, I have to call today to find out.

-Rabid

Last edited by RabidDog24; 11-22-2002 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-22-2002, 11:17 AM
Administrator

So all that jargon above means nothing. And please lets not make this a "opinion" thread about emissions or speed issues.
Odd.... you send me a personal e-mail.... you ask me to help.... I admit I know nothing about the subject, but give you the limited info I have, in order to try and bring a dying thread to life, and now you're offended because of the answers I gave you....

I give up....

Fred

Last edited by Injuneer; 11-22-2002 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-23-2002, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by Injuneer
Odd.... you send me a personal e-mail.... you ask me to help.... I admit I know nothing about the subject, but give you the limited info I have, in order to try and bring a dying thread to life, and now you're offended because of the answers I gave you....

I give up....

Fred

Oh well, the heart will go on, and on.

Everyone else I hope you saw all my " " and " 's " and other thanks in general for your answers and info, like I said before you guys are great, really good info/well wishes.

Does anybody know if the 93-95 cars equipped with stickshifts, still have the factory holes for the automatic crossmember? Looks like this chassy that has a V8 also has a manual tranny. So no front crossmember but I'd have to find a tranny crossmember for the t-400, unless i stay stick. Hmmm wonder if it would bolt up? LoL. Also Apex are you out there? /me pokes him with stick.

-Rabid

Last edited by RabidDog24; 11-23-2002 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-24-2002, 03:24 PM

AAACK! Is my thread ?
Old 11-24-2002, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by Injuneer
You can mount a TH400 with a modified 4th Gen T56 trans cross-member. If you want info on BMR:

BMR FABRICATIONS

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Older 350 CI into 93-95 Camaro swap...