Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Corvette transaxle in LT1 f-body.

Old 08-26-2004, 11:27 PM

Corvette transaxle in LT1 f-body.

I am considering this for the sake of wieght distribution but don't know if it will work. I would think I will have to make a bellhousing to mate the two but don't know what would happen with the pcm to transaxle communication. If any of you can help out. Thanks for looking!
Old 08-27-2004, 06:55 AM

Re: Corvette transaxle in LT1 f-body.

Originally Posted by gearhead3
I am considering this for the sake of wieght distribution but don't know if it will work. I would think I will have to make a bellhousing to mate the two but don't know what would happen with the pcm to transaxle communication. If any of you can help out. Thanks for looking!
Whew! That's a major fabrication job you are looking at. Basically you'd need to remove much of the floorpan and it's surrounding structure, adapt some of the Vette's and fabricate a bunch more. It will probably cost more than a used Vette, and end up heavier.

You pretty much have to use the Vette's torque tube design, or re-engineer how the torque loads are going to get into the chassis. If I were doing such a conversion, I'd use the whole driveline from the engine back.

As far as weight distribution goes, you'll help it a few percent, but the Camaro will still be front heavy. If less front weight is your goal, consider replacing heavy stuff in the front with lighter weight stuff like carbon fiber.

I hate to be a wet blanket, but that's my $.02.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:08 PM

Like oldSStroker said your going to have to fab. a rear subframe to mount the vett. parts. As the rear is all metal I would think a good welder could handle this. By using the vett. bell housing and torque tube you may only have to add a spacer to get the correct front to rear wheel base. I would think the gas tank would be as much rassle has any of this.
Any way there are a few 1st Gens. with vett. suspension under them, so it can be done.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:38 PM

Thank you gentlemen for your input. I was hoping the improvement on the wieght distribution would be more than a few %. I have put covette suspention in a first gen and can handle the swap. Your right about using the complete corvette system from the b.h. back. I can buy a corvette but would like to improve the f-body. They are my first real love when it comes to cars.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by gearhead3
Thank you gentlemen for your input. I was hoping the improvement on the wieght distribution would be more than a few %. I have put covette suspention in a first gen and can handle the swap. Your right about using the complete corvette system from the b.h. back. I can buy a corvette but would like to improve the f-body. They are my first real love when it comes to cars.

As far as weight distribution goes, let's say you are moving a 100 lb trans back about 3-1/2 feet in a Camaro. That takes about 40# off the front and adds 40# to the rear. If you move a 28# battery from 1 foot in front of the front axle to 2 feet behind the rear axle, it adds about 30# to the rear wheels and removes 30# from the front. Anything you remove ahead of the front wheel centerline helps distribution a lot. It's all about moments or force times distance.

My $.02
Old 08-28-2004, 12:28 PM

That was a very valuble two cents. I have read many of your posts and I am always learning from you. Keep up the great work!