LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

About to Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 02:32 PM

About to Rebuild

I have a 97 z28 LT1. I am removing the engine to clean up the engine bay and redo gaskets on the engine. The body needs some work done and while I have the engine out I am interested in exploring more power. I live in Ontario Canada and parts are a nightmare to find at a decent price. I am most likely going to explore a new cam, upgrade gears to .373 new torque converter, and cylinder heads. My concern is mainly with the cylinder heads. Lowest price ive been able to find those is like 1000 US. What can I upgrade without having to get new cylinder heads or get them bored. I want more power but I do not want to spend a ton of money rebuilding everything. Want to avoid turbo, supercharger and spray. Any other input I would love to hear ideas. Also links to available parts in Canada would be HUGELY appreciated. Car as ad the transmission (4l60e 4 spd) rebuilt 6 years ago and is done again. I will be sinking a lot of money into this to start with and don't want to end up spending 10k on engine upgrades.
Side notes:
Thinking of removing secondary AIR and EGR for LTH - should I or is that a bad idea?
Thinking of removing my A/C - anything extra I should know?
Links to any gasket kits, cylinder head upgrade kits, camshaft links etc would be greatly appreciated.
I am also going to be getting an intake too but I didn't even want to mention something so minimal.
I will be doing all the work at home so please keep that in mind with ideas
Old 06-21-2019, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Re: About to Rebuild

Not really an “Advanced Tech” topic.... let's move this to “LT1 Based Engine Tech”.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:48 PM
Administrator

First question would be where are you finding NEW (aftermarket?) LT1 heads for US$1,000 (a pair?)? Most aftermarket LT1 heads are closer to US$2,000 per pair. Depending on your HP goals, you can generally make good HP by having your stock heads ported (not “bored”) by someone who knows what they are doing, and make 400 to 500 HP at the flywheel, with supporting mods. And, have the head porter provide a cam package matched to the heads, that reflects your preferences for drivability. Here's one example:

http://elliottsportworks.com/

If you don't want the heads ported, you still have a choice of cams, but you aren’t going to get into the 400 - 500 HP range.

If your last trans rebuild only lasted 6 years behind a stock engine, you need to look at better sources.... here's another example, but unfortunately not Canadian.

https://cahallperformancetrans.com/4l60e%2C-65e%2C-70e

Whether you delete AIR and EGR depends on your emissions requirements. If you plan to run cats, you need to keep the AIR. It is required to heat the cats on cold start so they start to work sooner. There is no performance penalty from the AIR system.... it's electrically powered, and only runs for 2 or 3 minutes at startup. No HP issues with EGR either. It only operates when cruising at low RPM, and you try to lug the engine, causing high combustion chamber temperatures that create NOx. If you delete either system, it will set codes and turn on the SES light. The codes can be eliminated in the PCM tune you will require after you cam change.

No problem deleting the A/C. You just need an “A/C delete pulley” so the serpentine belt will function.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:25 AM

Either have a valve job and put new springs on your heads for the cheap and if you want more power just call Summit and buy a set of Trickflows.