CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/3rd-gen-l98-engine-tech-20/)
-   -   Water Pump replacement (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/3rd-gen-l98-engine-tech-20/water-pump-replacement-764052/)

superbee70 07-21-2010 11:58 AM

Water Pump replacement

Hello,

New to the board, just picked up my new (old) 91 Z28 convertable this past weekend.

In checking the motor over seems to be some moisture slung onto the underside of hood. It felt greasy and was dark in color. In taking the car in for a governemnt safety check. I asked the dealership to investigate. They came back and said the water pump was leaking. Two things:

1. I looked and cannot see any evidence of the pump leaking.
2. they want 500.00 to swap out pump.

Any thought here? Price to steep?

Will

quickchicken 07-21-2010 06:12 PM

it should take you no longer than 30 mins to do a WP on your car. loosen the WP pulley bolts, THEN remove the belt, finish removing the WP pulley, 4 bolts hold the WP on, RTV the new gaskets in place with a lil on the other side to sel when the WP is on and reverse everything i told you.

who ever told you $500 need to have their head checked. total cost for you should be NO MORE than $40. thats the cost of the pump and RTV unless you have some already. thats the one thing that drives me nutz about our cars is how simple they are to work on and those that get stuck not knowing this.

superbee70 07-22-2010 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by quickchicken (Post 6427098)
it should take you no longer than 30 mins to do a WP on your car. loosen the WP pulley bolts, THEN remove the belt, finish removing the WP pulley, 4 bolts hold the WP on, RTV the new gaskets in place with a lil on the other side to sel when the WP is on and reverse everything i told you.

who ever told you $500 need to have their head checked. total cost for you should be NO MORE than $40. thats the cost of the pump and RTV unless you have some already. thats the one thing that drives me nutz about our cars is how simple they are to work on and those that get stuck not knowing this.

250.00 just for the GM pump, insanity in my eyes.

quickchicken 07-22-2010 10:28 AM

go to a NAPA or any other upper brand parts store and get it for WWWWWAAAAYY MUCH less.

I go to the dealer for dealer items only.

BigBadLou 07-23-2010 11:00 AM

$500? Typical dealer. *rolleyes*
Tell you what you can do for $500:
If you are at least a little mechanically inclined, you can do as pointed out above and buy yourself a new waterpump for a few dollars (domestic parts are cheap now).
When you're done with the job, use the leftover money to go buy an Xbox and some games and have fun! :)

I changed a waterpump in a parking lot in 95 degree heat with a minimal set of tools and survived to talk about it. :D

Lou

cars3 07-26-2010 11:23 PM

I changed out several water pumps on my cars and about 30-40 minutes is all it takes. I went to advance auto parts and they had a rebuilt for $18 and a new one for $32. For that price I wouldn't even think about a rebuilt one! Since your car is no longer under warranty who cares if the pump is not GM. GM over charges for most things anyways. But not always!

Z28SORR 07-27-2010 11:20 AM

Dude, keep the $500.00 and sell me your car. Then you can go buy a 4th gen. :D

Seriouly, near the top of this page, click on "User CP" and add where your from and a signature, if you want.

96 TA 07-28-2010 03:55 PM

Cost me about $40 to do the water pump my self as well (NAPA part). It's a no joke straight forward repair. And if your not use to doing car repair this is an awesome opportunity to start learning.