CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/3rd-gen-l98-engine-tech-20/)
-   -   Vacuum Lines/Plumbling (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/3rd-gen-l98-engine-tech-20/vacuum-lines-plumbling-368764/)

dpileggi 05-20-2005 01:20 AM

Vacuum Lines/Plumbling

Hello,

I am new to this board and to Camaros in general.

I recently purchased a 1987 Camaro. The car had been setting up for over a year, because of this, I decided to replace the original carburator with a rebuilt one.

I think part of my problems are with the car's vacuum lines; I do not believe they are plumbed correctly.

I have been trying to find a vacuum lines diagram for the car's carburated 305.

To this end, I have purchased a copy of the original 1987 Camaro shop manual as well as the Haynes Repair Manual.

I have not been able to find a diagram in either of the two manuals.

Can anyone direct me to a diagram. I understand there was supposed to be a diagram on the underside of the hood.

Failing that, could someone with one Camaro in original condition send a few good .jpgs of their car's vacuum lines to me?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

David

ghillie 05-20-2005 10:29 AM

Re: Vacuum Lines/Plumbling

Go to www.fbodycd.com and by the CD. Should be very helpful.

dpileggi 05-20-2005 09:20 PM

Hi,

On another Camaro/F-Body site, someone else had posted the same "where to find a vacuum line diagram" question.

One of the replies, stated that was supposed to be a sticker with a "simplified" (read, "crude") diagram stuck to the underside of the hood (but who looks up when under a hood? Not me, unless I bump my head...).

Well, there it was, stuck right next to the hood's safety hook on the driver side.

The diagram turned out not to be as hard to understand as it appeared at first glance; my car now runs again.

The CD-Rom mentioned in the reply above, and I quote here:

"Sorry,

That kind of information would only be in a repair manual. However, it does show the exploded view of the emmissions hoses, and you may be able to get an idea of what goes where from it."

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Sincerely,

David

respectirocz 05-21-2005 07:50 PM

sounds like the same situation i was in 2 years ago when i bought my 87 iroc with 305 carb, i found rags, plugged line with screws etc etc, i took off the carb to rbuild it and forgot how all the lines were connected, unfortunately the diagram under the hood is nasty and unreadable
i have the haynes manual which doesnt help but i also have the chiltons manual, which does have a diagram should you ever need it again

Phantomfe3 05-21-2005 11:13 PM

if your not worried about any of the emissions the only ones you need are the ones on the back of the carb and a couple on the front. theres only two, ones a little one and the other is a big screw in one that looks like a fuel line, it goes the the brakes, DEFINITELY want that one..

the ones on the front, there is a bigger one, one of the biggest in the carb, coming straight forward that looks like its coming from under the carb, there should be a plastic 'T' fitting with the base of the T going into the carb, the offshoots of the T are two different sizes. the smaller side should point toward the passenger side of the carb and a line run to the choke which has a metal T with a short line hooked up to it. the bigger side of the T should go straight to the PCV valve. plug everything else up by putting in screws that fit and put tie wraps around them.

if you want your car to be completely emissions legal and have good gas mileage then disreguard everything i wrote, sorry

Maria Doll 09-14-2018 06:03 AM

thanks alot for all of you for sharing your thought about vacuum!

Injuneer 09-14-2018 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Maria Doll (Post 6999890)
thanks alot for all of you for sharing your thought about vacuum!

Thanks for posting. We love to get SPAM from Lahore, Pakistan.