CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/3rd-gen-l98-engine-tech-20/)
-   -   SHOULD I SELL MY 4th gen for 3rd (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/3rd-gen-l98-engine-tech-20/should-i-sell-my-4th-gen-3rd-199128/)

LT1CST 12-02-2003 03:27 PM

SHOULD I SELL MY 4th gen for 3rd

Hey guys I need some info help. I have a LT1. NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS ever since I have gotten the car. I just did a rebuild on the motor and I messed up bolting down the intake manifold. I stripped the male port on the heads that bolt the intake down. So now I have to pull the heads off. I love that motor so much. "WHEN IT RUNS" Im not to fond of the OPTI SPARK Deal. I have a buddy with a 3rd gen IROZ with a TPI 383 making 450hp that would just KILL my LT1. I have like five more payments on my LT1 camaro. Is it worth just to sell it now? I dont now. IS it possible to get a Distrubuter type set up like on the TPI's on the LT1'? IM lost. WOULD a TPi fit in a 4th gen Fbody. SEEMS like I can stroke a TPi motor for alot cheaper than a LT1 and prolly fo faster and not have to worry about some dump ass OPTI spark. I dont no. GIVE ME some FEED BACK people
CHris

quickslick86 12-02-2003 04:08 PM

Hey, How you're friend is pushing 450hp with tuned port I have no idea...Now...the lt1 intake is alot better than the tpi stock for stock....

A superam or maybe a mini ram, but If a motor is not getting the air it aint going to far.

You could put a tpi motor in you're car...is it worth it? no...

My advice is sell you're lt1 for anyother lt1....after you pay it off.

Then buy you a iroc when u get the money and build a stroker for it..

-Frank

IZ28 12-02-2003 04:23 PM

Sell the 4th and get a mint low mile Third IROC-Z or Z28 L98, I bet you'll like it better. ;) You wouldn't be the 1st that went from 4th to Third.

Kuruption562 12-02-2003 04:44 PM

I Say buy a 3rd Gen and modd it up crazy with all the money you will have after selling the LT-1.:cool:

kevin 2.8 12-02-2003 05:08 PM

you could find a sweet no rust 3rd gen in CA
sell the lt1 and you could pick one up for cheap. much easier to do work on yourself and parts are cheaper, insurance is cheaper

LT1CST 12-02-2003 05:09 PM

Yeah not sure what My buddy has done to his TPI but its up in tha range. It just seems like the TPI's are just less complicated then LT1's. Even though LT1's run good. I guess a TPI with Alum heads and LT1 intake swap on L98 motor would be cool too. NOW you dont have to deal with OPTI spark. I had plan on going with MANUAL Valve body anyhow. I DONT now. Thass Y i need help. I Wonder if theres a way to get rid of the OPTI SPARK and have a Distrubuer type deal like on the L98's on the LT1'? I need help. 3rd gens are lighter arent they? HELP me
LOL
CHris
ttt

97WS6SCharged 12-02-2003 05:35 PM

Yes, you can run a distributor on the LT1. You have to drill the back of the intake and remove the oil pump drive. The biggest pain is actually getting to the distributor since it will sit underneath the cowl. The car will have to be run in batch mode instead of sequential unless you keep the opti purely for the low resolution cam position sensor. I would advise you to keep the 4th gen since you only have 5 payment left on it and get a 3rd gen to play around with in a few months. You've probably already invested a fortune in the car in mods and there's no way you will get that back. Well, good luck in whatever you do.

Later

LT1CST 12-02-2003 05:43 PM

Yeah your right. I was sitting here thinking about that right now. I have done alot to that thing as far as motor work. Cosmetics rims all that stuff. I wanna deal with it cause im tired of running away from problems. So im prolly gonna keep it. But im going to look into getting rid of the opti unit. I would like to play with my timing myself. And not have my Computer control it. IS there any info on doing that that I can see? that would be nice if there is
CHris
ttt

splinter_cell 12-02-2003 06:37 PM

:metal:

Zepher 12-02-2003 07:27 PM

Sell it and buy a nice 3rd gen and mod the **** out of it with the left over money.

Black6SpdTA 12-02-2003 07:54 PM

Originally posted by Zepher
Sell it and buy a nice 3rd gen and mod the **** out of it with the left over money.
:thumb:

Oh, and 3rd Gens are lighter than 4th's. I could see 450hp out of a TPI 383 with some real good heads and a heavily ported TPI setup. Ask him about torque. I imagine somewhere around 500 :eek:

-Corey

IZ28 12-02-2003 07:59 PM

Yup, lighter and handle better. :)

lordmetalz28 12-02-2003 07:59 PM

yeah with the money you make on your lti you can hook a nice iroc up plus they look beefer and sharper. but a camaro is a camaro

RS Dragster 12-03-2003 01:02 AM

Another vote for getting a different LT1. Not all of them are troublesome. My buddy had a VERY reliable 97 SS. 4th Gens are newer, so you "usually" have better/newer interiors, better ride, better fuel economy... plus the aftermarket is bigger on the LT1, and you don't need to worry about the restrictive TPI intake on the L98s. Remember, cars typically get better the newer they are. At least that's the case with F-Body's. Don't get me wrong either, I love 3rd gens, I've had 2, but 4th Gens are great. ;)

Zepher 12-03-2003 01:33 AM

Originally posted by RS Dragster
plus the aftermarket is bigger on the LT1, and you don't need to worry about the restrictive TPI intake on the L98s.
There are a lot more choices for parts for a regular sbc than there are for the LT1.

Slapping on a Stealth Ram, Miniram, modded LT1 intake, or Superram fixes the restrictive TPI problem.

Interior can be fixed by putting in a 4th gen interior as well.
Visit my site and take a look at my project car.