3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Running duel exhaust. Don't tell me it can't be done.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 05:12 PM

Post Running duel exhaust. Don't tell me it can't be done.

I am thinking of running duel exhaust with an x crossover in my 85 z. Does anyone know the best way to do this? I am thinking of making it in sections with the good connections so that I can still have easy access to my tranny and driveshaft.

------------------
1985 camaro z 28, 305, std, stock stereo, stock exhast, repaired dash, used to have over 30 dents (very few left), new battery with hole melted in it from welding, new choke, replaced alternater, rebuilt starter, new wipers, added coolant, 3 core rad, bald tires, maroon and gold, primer gray, primer red, and blue, back left ground effect damaged slightly and has gap between body, cracked shifter ****, finally got the secondary's in the carb to open, fixed timing, half made hoodscoop, broken front left strut, 3.23 gears, no posi, fairly new clutch, new trasmission mounting setup.
Old 08-18-2002, 06:12 PM

i am looking at doing teh same thing when i put in my new motor. from the looks of the underside ofp the car the best place to put the X is to get it as close to the rear fo the tranny pan as you can. the entry side of the X will be a little sharper angle than the exit, but it shoudl work exactly the same.
the only challenge is runnign the tubing around the torque arm. dependign on which arm you use space can get a little tight. i am looking to use the BMR extreme duty arm, so i don't think i will have any issue with it.

later
tim

------------------
NJ SPEEDER
91 Camaro RS
305TBI/700R4
12's Coming Soon
2nd Annual East Coast F-Body Nationals
July 20,2002
www.geocities.com/njspeeder
My MAFB.ORG Home Page
http://www.mycar.net/mafb/registry/detail.cfm?id=299
Old 08-18-2002, 07:09 PM

Lightbulb

It's really not bad like people say it is. It's a trend mong the local F-Body guys around here and it's definately not a bad trend!! Both LS1 and LT1 guys are doing it. Dual 3" tubing, sme of the guys run Bullet mufflers like the DynoMax Race Magnum but that is LOUD as *****. Others run 3 chamber flowmasters and that has a good sound on a built engine.

I have head that you can pound upward the low hanging floor section that is used for the rear seats for extra clearance but then again, mos of the guys around here have the system made so that it ends/dumps before the rear axle. Goodluck and hopefully you find a guy who is good at custom work!!

------------------
Denny Villemure
1989 Camaro IROC-Z Convertible, 305 TPI, 2.73 Gear, Flowmaster 2 chamber. 15.60 on motor, 14.20 on a 75 shot from NX. Woo hoo!
www.denny.cz28.com
Old 08-18-2002, 10:27 PM

Smile

I got one and I love it. had some cheap turbo muff.s on when I took these pics, but they were too quiet. switched to bullets, now its def. LOUD! but I like it. dont know if it made any power diff. between the muff.s, so choose depending on noise level prefered. mine is a 2.5" system though. I have the hedmann longtubes and w/these duals and stock coil springs, never hit anything. soon Im switching to v6 sprngs that I will cut to put the front of the car at the right pitch cause these Iroc springs make it sit too high in front now that I have lightened up the front end considerably. here's a link to some pics of my system.

http://photos.yahoo.com/irocss86

oh yeah, and if you run the bullets, you dont need to clearance the floorpans under the rear seats.
chris

------------------
1986 Iroc Z
355, ported camel hump heads,750 holley, 700r4, 10.5 compr., forged flat tops, solidcam .501I .510E, 4gen rear w/3:73 posi, girdle, and disc's, Edel. torker II, shift kit, 3500 stal, hedmann LT. headers, 4 gen seats, man. strg., lt1 starter, alum. w/p, msd 6al, coil, dist., mallory wires.13.34 @102mph best w/that combo. have trick flow heads and tighter conv. to put in currently.

1995 z28,SS Hood, Iroc style spoiler, tints and black outs, 700r4,2400 act. stall speed,B&M hammer shifter, 17" budnick trilogy III wheels, 275/40 ZR17, 160 stat, man. cooling fan sw., homemaid CAI,1LE elbow, hypertech airfoil, t.b.bypass,!cat, flowmaster, !maf screen, relocated batt., 1LE front l.c.a.s', poly trans and torq.arm bushings, MSD 6AL, custom program, p&p maf, accel coil, and under drive pulley

mods that i have, just not on car yet:
msd wires, edelbrock mid. headers, edelbrock rpm catback
Old 08-19-2002, 12:21 AM

Okay here is my plan. Run the exhaust off the manifolds (want to get full length headers later so I am going to make connections that will allow me to do this without cutting and welding a whole bunch) So anyways I am gunna go and cross over under the shifter of the tranny and then split to the sides and go over the rear axle on each side like the stock one does on the one side. Then have my mufflers at teh back. I will have my x pip hung so that it is removable from the frame and have a bolt on connector so that I can remove it completely. This will allow me to do any tranny work I have to do. Also I am dropping my car 1 inch in front and possibly a 1 inch raise in the back. I know the pipes may drag but I am going to use boxbeam to make my own weld in subframe connectors that should stick 1/4 inch below my ground effects to protect them and the exhaust pipes from damage. Good plan or bad one?
Old 08-19-2002, 12:15 PM

I wouldn't waste your time connecting to the stock manifolds. Just wait until you get your long tube headers then do it.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
View the Restoration of an 85 IROC
Weekend projects aren't.
Old 08-19-2002, 05:20 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">and go over the rear axle on each side like the stock one does on the one side</font>
The panhard bar is in the way on the driver side.

------------------
88 427 BBC Camaro
7.76 @ 94 (1/8 mile) 10/01
12.18 @ 113 (1/4 mile) 10/99
I have brand new series 3 9 bolt posi carriers and gear sets to 4.10 available for borg warner 9 bolts. Check my web page for more info.

http://www.koolmeister.com
Old 08-19-2002, 06:31 PM

i am running hooker lts with 3" strait out the back (no crossover) with bullets ending before the rearend. imo it is too loud and i am looking for some flowmasters cheap. i have been going to go ahead and finish the system with tailpipes so that it doesnt resignate inside the car as bad but i just havent had the time. also it does scrape quite a bit, but it works.

------------------
brandon
79 Z, 357, pro1 heads, victor jr.intake,
prostars, powerglide, 9" ford w/ 4.86 gear, etc...
best pass to date :10.16@132.72mph
91 rs stroked not sprayed
11.86@115 so far........
Old 08-20-2002, 03:01 AM

I myself prefer a single 3" or 4"...but for you guys that make serious power and want a stout sound, the floorpan method is the best way, you could use a smaller cased muffler like a Ultraflow. Tailpipes are out of the question. They will restrict the systems so much that you wouldn't have any advantage or running duals.

What pipe size are you wanting to go with? I know a good fabricator that made a hell of a cool trans crossmember that works well with longtubes and duals. It makes room for the pipe on the drivers side and is made of boxed tubing. Then get out the 10lb. sledge and go to work on the rear floorpans. Just don't ever plan on restoring the car to original any time soon

------------------
Mike L.

1987 IROC Z 5.7 TPI A4 3.27 Borg-Warner four wheel disc
Mods:
2300-2500 Stall Converter, Shift Kit(GM parts), TPI Specialties Stage 3 PROM, Modified airbox w/ K&N's, Relocated MAT sensor, Gutted MAF, 160* thermostat, MSD 6A, Accel 8mm Wires, bypassed TB coolant, 3" Flowmaster 3 chamber single outlet, custom adjustable cutout, 3" MAC mandrel intermediate, airfoil, ported plenum. !smog, Crane AFPR, Accel rail mounted FP gauge, Harlan shiftlite, 24lb. injectors, Hedman headers, a few others I forgot...??? FINALLY GOT PAINT!!

Check out my IROC webpage!
Old 08-20-2002, 04:48 AM

I want to have tailpipes without mashing my floors. Is ther any way to go over the rear axle in the middle (over the diff?)
Old 08-20-2002, 02:16 PM

here is my dual set-up.....not the pertiest thing on the planet but it sounds like satan and clearance is actually pretty good. (the camera angles make it look like it drags the ground though)http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126944

------------------
84 trans am, forged 383 w/ 6" h-beam rods, ported heads with 3angle valve job, ported weiand stealth intake, edelbrock 750 with choke removed, GMPP solid lift cam, mallory unilite distributor, accel wires and coil, msd 6-al w/8500 rev limiter, hooker long tubes with 2.5" 40 series flowmasters, TH400 with rev. man. valve body and tci 3500 convertor, 9" ford with disc brakes, ladder bars, 4.33 richmond gears. jegster 8-point cage, jegster frame connectors, poly racing buckets with 5-point harneses. vehicle weight reduced
Old 08-20-2002, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the pics. I am guessing that tailpipes with true duel exhaust is out of the questions then?
Old 08-20-2002, 05:59 PM

Thumbs up

i could run them on mine if i wanted to because i no longer have all the panhard rod crap in my way.....went to ladder bars and coil overs so i got a ton of room to go over the axle. kinda hard if you got the stock suspention but i have talked to people that have done it. the biggest pipe i have seen anyone do it with was 2.5" and they said it was a bit of a squeeze. i just prefer the sound and feel of my exuast pounding off the ground...you can feel the ground shake when my car is running

------------------
84 trans am, forged 383 w/ 6" h-beam rods, ported heads with 3angle valve job, ported weiand stealth intake, edelbrock 750 with choke removed, GMPP solid lift cam, mallory unilite distributor, accel wires and coil, msd 6-al w/8500 rev limiter, hooker long tubes with 2.5" 40 series flowmasters, TH400 with rev. man. valve body and tci 3500 convertor, 9" ford with disc brakes, ladder bars, 4.33 richmond gears. jegster 8-point cage, jegster frame connectors, poly racing buckets with 5-point harneses. vehicle weight reduced
Old 08-21-2002, 02:44 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by stonedchihuahua:
Thanks for the pics. I am guessing that tailpipes with true duel exhaust is out of the questions then?</font>
Seriously it wouldn't if you insist on tailpipes. It would be way too restrictive.

A single 3" with a dual 3" outlet Flowmster is the next best thing if you need the dual look. I myself prefer the single 3" outlet muffler/tailpipe.

------------------
Mike L.

1987 IROC Z 5.7 TPI A4 3.27 Borg-Warner four wheel disc
Mods:
2300-2500 Stall Converter, Shift Kit(GM parts), TPI Specialties Stage 3 PROM, Modified airbox w/ K&N's, Relocated MAT sensor, Gutted MAF, 160* thermostat, MSD 6A, Accel 8mm Wires, bypassed TB coolant, 3" Flowmaster 3 chamber single outlet, custom adjustable cutout, 3" MAC mandrel intermediate, airfoil, ported plenum. !smog, Crane AFPR, Accel rail mounted FP gauge, Harlan shiftlite, 24lb. injectors, Hedman headers, a few others I forgot...??? FINALLY GOT PAINT!!

Check out my IROC webpage!
Old 08-21-2002, 10:57 PM

Im glad I saw this post. I had planned on running a single 3 inch pipe, but with those pics it seems that duals arn't that bad. i want the turn down, so with bullet mufflers, there shoudl be no clearance problems with duals? Now if I can find a muffler shop to do it.

Quick Reply: Running duel exhaust. Don't tell me it can't be done.