3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Intermittent no crank problem.. Help!!!

Old 08-15-2005, 02:38 PM

Intermittent no crank problem.. Help!!!

When trying to start the car, I get no cranking, only the clicking of the solenoid. All other electrical devices work fine, including the headlights. This happens intermittently, just often enough to p1ss me off!

There is no security light showing. I have replaced the starter and still have the same problem. I also tested the battery cables and found a loose ground connection at the block. I tightened it and cleaned all connections and still have the same intermittent problem. I am getting much less than 0.5V volt drop across each battery cable while cranking which, according to the GM manual, indicates the cables are OK.

Does anybody have any ideas? Security relay? VATS? The intermittent nature of this is making it difficult to track down!

Thanks, Jeff
Old 08-16-2005, 03:01 PM

Re: Intermittent no crank problem.. Help!!!

If the solenoid is clicking, voltage is getting out there, but there is not enough current to engage the solenoid. I presume you put on a new solenoid when you r&r'd the starter?

Usually a loose/corroded connection will do this. I take it this is on your 94. If so, you might have a bad neutral safety switch. Voltage goes from key thru this switch, then on to key terminal of solenoid. I've had one flat out die on me, but they also get flaky sometimes, work, no work.

Simple troubleshooting method for N/S switch: disconnect the starter connection at N/S switch. It will be the one with heavier gage wires (purple I think). Use a small "U" made from a paper clip to jump across the connector, tape it for insulation. If it suddenly starts, N/S switch is the problem. I did this when the switch on an 89 I had died in a parking lot, saved me a tow bill home.

Just noticed you had a loose ground connection at block: it might have allowed corrosion at block face. I'd pop off cable, clean up with sand paper and reconnect just to be sure.

Last edited by angel71rs; 08-16-2005 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the response. I will clean the ground connection at the block tonight. Whenever I connect battery voltage directly to the solenoid terminal on the new starter/solenoid, the starter cranks with no problem so I believe the problem is in the ignition circuit as you suggest.

Finally the problem seems to be happening consistently now so it should be easier to troubleshoot. When I turn the key from the OFF position to START, I can only only hear the single click of the solenoid. If I return the key to the RUN position and then to START again, it will crank. If I return the key back to OFF and then try to start again, just the solenoid click again.

Last night I removed the security relay and confirmed that the VATS system is providing a ground to the relay when it should and I can hear the relay clicking. I also applied 12 volts to the relay and verified continuity through the contacts. The relay seems to be working OK. When I apply battery voltage directly to the PURPLE wire in the relay socket, I only get the familiar click of the solenoid.

When I installed the new started/solenoid a few days ago, I did clean the connections at the starter.

The only unknown I have right now is the ignition kill relay built into my alarm system. I am not sure if it is installed before or after the security relay. I am going to check that tonight.

Any more tips would be appreciated. I think the problem is somewhere between the relay module and the started solenoid in the PURPLE wire or maybe the ground connection (although I already tested that once) at the clock.

Thanks for the help so far!
Jeff
Old 08-18-2005, 12:48 AM

Try:
Flexing the first 3 inches of both battery cables, if it's hard there compared to 6" away, the cable(s) need to be replaced whether it solves the problem or not. You can do this on both ends, but it's usually on the battery side.
The harding of the cables is caused by corrosion (white, or greenish substance) building up between the wires in the cable, anything separating the wires from making good contact with each other will reduce the amount of current the cable can carry.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:21 PM

Thumbs up Solved - Intermittent no crank problem..

Thanks for the response...

Here is what I found. If I attached a wire directly between the positive battery post and the solenoid terminal of the starter, it cranked fine. When I attached a wire between the positive battery post and the purple wire at the security relay socket (which should be connected directly to the solenoid terminal of the starter) it would not crank. The connection at the solenoid was clean and tight (I just replaced the starter).

I checked further and found that the starter kill relay for the alarm system was connected in the purple wire between the relay socket and the starter. Apparently the kill relay contacts are wearing out and have high contact resistance. This was resulting in an intermittent no crank condition. I installed the alarm 11 years ago so I didn't remember it was connected there.

Bottom line, after bypassing the starter kill relay, it cranks fine! Thanks for your help... All I can say now is... Thank goodness for lifetime warranties . I am getting the alarm repaired for free!

Jeff