CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/3rd-gen-l98-engine-tech-20/)
-   -   Removing the A/C system... (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/3rd-gen-l98-engine-tech-20/removing-c-system-291701/)

Randy Capone 08-13-2004 06:40 PM

Removing the A/C system...

Hi,

I'm actually looking froward to removing the whol A/C system on my car, since it takes up too much space under my hood, and I would like to have more room while working in it...

I would like to know if it's possible to do it by myself? If so, how?

Thx.

Marc 85Z28 08-14-2004 11:57 AM

Re: Removing the A/C system...

Take the car to a certified/qualified repair shop to have the refrigerant recovered from the vehicle. If you still have R12, you might find a shop that will do it for free, in exchange for the R12. If you can't find a shop to do that, the cost will be minimal.

Then, start removing parts! It's pretty simple really. Just unbolt and remove everything, no special tools needed. Since you're looking for more room, install the proper AC delete heater box available from EBay, these classifieds, or www.thirdgen.org 's classifieds. Your looking for an "AC delete box" or a "1LE AC delete box". If you have a serpentine drive belt system, you will also the need the "AC delete" pulley or "1LE AC delete pulley".

When asking for advice, it helps to provide us with the year, model, and engine of the vehicle that you have ;)

slayer6x6 08-14-2004 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Take the car to a certified/qualified repair shop to have the refrigerant recovered from the vehicle.

Ah, just pull the lines off and let it fly :p

Marc 85Z28 08-14-2004 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by slayer6x6

:rolleyes: Don't post anymore... it just makes you look dumber

Dave89IROC 08-14-2004 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by slayer6x6

freon venting = $25,000 fine

slayer6x6 08-14-2004 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
:rolleyes: Don't post anymore... it just makes you look dumber

Take the compressor out of your ass because I was joking. And I am MACS certified so I do know the effects and fines misuse. But I guess Im not allowed to post here anymore because douchebags like you cant take a joke. :rolleyes:

firebirdjosh 08-14-2004 11:53 PM

I think there are people that may actually listen to you, that may have been why some members are upset.

Marc 85Z28 08-15-2004 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by firebirdjosh
I think there are people that may actually listen to you, that may have been why some members are upset.

EXACTLY! Especially so with a new member with all of 3 posts. I must have missed the sarcasm, much like everyone else. Next time use better judgement slayer6x6.

Randy Capone 08-16-2004 06:17 AM

Ok, good, I'll bring the car to a shop to do a purge... That's what I tought...

After that, I'll be finally able to change my 4 remaining spark plugs! Btw, it's a 91' Z28 with a 350.

Marc 85Z28 08-17-2004 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Randy Capone
After that, I'll be finally able to change my 4 remaining spark plugs! Btw, it's a 91' Z28 with a 350.

I sure hope that isn't the main reason behind removing the AC! The passenger side plugs can be reached much easier from below than from above.

BTW - Headers make plug changes on our cars very easy. I can do mine in under 15 minutes, all from the top, without the AC interfering.