3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

a few tpi questions. no power, runs hot

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 07:46 PM

a few tpi questions. no power, runs hot

First off, some info. Bone stock 305 5 speed except air pump removed, and high flow air filters. Fresh build, I bought it that way, had never been run. I fixed some oil leaks, re stabbed the distributor, charged the battery and it fired right up. I set the timing to 6*btdc with the little connector unplugged and then plugged it hack in.

My issues.

Car has NO power. Top speed of about 30. Also the car gets hot. The cat back exhaust system was removed when the fuel pump was replaced, so the exhaust stops right after the cat. I have 3 theories for this, clogged cat, valves are too tight, or the ballancer slipped. More than likely I will reset the valves, and remove the cat no matter what since I can do both for free. Am I on the right track? How can I see if the ballancer slipped? I don't want to spend a bunch of money on this engine, as I plan on doing an ls2 swap sometime in the next year but I can spend a little to get it running reliably.

Next question.... The little air lines going to each exhaust manifold... What do I use to plug the holes when I remove those? Car is emissions exempt in 3 days... I asked the same question on tgo and all I got was "put headers on it", I am not willing to spend money on performance parts for this engine. Just trying to clean if up a little.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:21 PM

Re: a few tpi questions. no power, runs hot

On those air lines into the exhaust manifolds(one line to each port). I went into a good auto parts store and got small brass plugs that close up those holes.Worked great. Bring in one of your air tubes to match the threads
Old 01-05-2012, 07:19 AM

Re: a few tpi questions. no power, runs hot

I drove it cold for the first time yesterday, and it runs a million times better, I feel like I got a semi clean pull in first, so that leads me to believe its my cat. It will he removed next time I have a few minutes to spare.