3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Pitman Arm - Idler Arm - Labor Involved - Any Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 04:14 PM

Question Pitman Arm - Idler Arm - Labor Involved - Any Kits?

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone knew what was involved in chaning out the pitman arm and or the idler arm. And also brands to use etc...

I took my car in to get checked about a year ago and they changed my lower ball joints because I had told them I had an accident awhile back on the highway i hit what to me looked like a very large pipe with my front right tire. I pulled over and the tire didn't go flat but a few days later I realized my car was shaking. After checking out the front I noticed the my front right wheel was bent the inner lip of the wheel. So I got new identical wheels changed the tires etc.

Well that got rid of the vibration but when I pass about 50 miles on the highway the car does this wierd thing were if it find a grove on the highway it pulls left then like a few seconds later pulls back to the center. So anyways they checked out my car and said it was the lower ball joints. They showed me the play and I got that done. They also told me that the car's pitman arm was also on its way out but still ok.

Anyways a few months later after not running to car for too long (cause I use to work by my job so I would walk) I noticed the car was still doing that movement above 50. I got the car realigned btw just to make sure and still it occurs.

So I think I am going to attempt to change the pitman this weekend. Any recommendations on what and from where to buy? I read that Moog sells a complete kit that includes the pitman and the idler arm for about 150...not sure if its tru. Also is this a tough thing to change? I think I can borrow a pitman arm puller from autozone...

thanks and sorry for the long post...just want to be as detailed as possible =)
Old 05-18-2004, 06:20 PM

here's a tech article i wrote on changing the idler arm http://www.fl-thirdgen.org/idlerarm.html

pitman arm you can rent a puller from AZ. you'll also need a pickle fork (ball joint separator) the tuning fork looking thing in the pics.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:37 PM

mrr23 thanks! Looks pretty simple. Now I just have to find out if Moog has a kit.

thanks!
Old 05-18-2004, 09:40 PM

if i remember correctly, the pitman arm is a non replaceable item. meaning it has 2 holes. one for the steering box and one so the centerlink goes into it. look at it real close just to make sure. i couldn't find any pics of my car with the pitman arm in it. moog sells the idler arm separately.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:08 PM
BANNED SPAMMER

Re: Pitman Arm - Idler Arm - Labor Involved - Any Kits?

Originally Posted by Castro
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone knew what was involved in chaning out the pitman arms and or the idler arm. And also brands to use etc...

I took my car in to get checked about a year ago and they changed my lower ball joints because I had told them I had an accident awhile back on the highway i hit what to me looked like a very large pipe with my front right tire. I pulled over and the tire didn't go flat but a few days later I realized my car was shaking. After checking out the front I noticed the my front right wheel was bent the inner lip of the wheel. So I got new identical wheels changed the tires etc.

Well that got rid of the vibration but when I pass about 50 miles on the highway the car does this wierd thing were if it find a grove on the highway it pulls left then like a few seconds later pulls back to the center. So anyways they checked out my car and said it was the lower ball joints. They showed me the play and I got that done. They also told me that the car's pitman arm was also on its way out but still ok.

Anyways a few months later after not running to car for too long (cause I use to work by my job so I would walk) I noticed the car was still doing that movement above 50. I got the car realigned btw just to make sure and still it occurs.

So I think I am going to attempt to change the pitman this weekend. Any recommendations on what and from where to buy? I read that Moog sells a complete kit that includes the pitman and the idler arm for about 150...not sure if its tru. Also is this a tough thing to change? I think I can borrow a pitman arm puller from autozone...

thanks and sorry for the long post...just want to be as detailed as possible =)
I had that wondering feeling come back so i got under car to check things. My 2 year old Moog pitman arm already shows slack. No question, thats the problem as any bit of slack here makes for loose steering . This has been a chronic problem on my other GM cars including idler arms and center links. I use good moly EP grease yad yada yada. Is there just no good part out there?
Old 10-19-2011, 10:11 PM

Re: Pitman Arm - Idler Arm - Labor Involved - Any Kits?

holy smokes. 7 year old thread come back to life.