3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

my camaro is a freak of nature...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 12:55 PM

Re: my camaro is a freak of nature...

Originally Posted by h-town z
The computer doesn't read from the 02 at WOT, correct? What about at 90% throttle?

I belive it cuts into open loop at 70% I'd have to go take alook at a stock chip tune,
when I do a car I usually change it to about 50%
Old 07-01-2006, 12:56 PM

Also, do you know where can I pick up a WBO2 for a good price?

I get all my stuff from, including chip burn WB and all the other stuff you need www.moates.net

looking into breaking into doing Fords soon
Old 07-01-2006, 01:15 PM

Thanks bro!
Old 07-01-2006, 02:39 PM

also when it comes to detonation,
its not really that bad until you start making more then 1hp per cubic inch

hundereds of old cars ping or detonate down the freeway all day without any major problems,

you detonate when you hit the 150hp nitrous shot on your 450hp 350, then you got problems if you aren't running forged internal
Old 07-01-2006, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by 89Vert
oh and the LT1's running 14's aguement, LT1 hp is way over rated and the car is heavy,
I have a 95 z28 6 speed vert, it was so slow I had to put a blower on it

LB9's and L98's hp is under rated
No, neither engine is under or over rated. Where is your proof on this? It doesn''t exist. The dyno numbers have spoke for themselves on both cars. LT1s are heavier, but have a MUCH better power-to-weight ratio. Your 305 car isn't stock. Simple as that. No 305 is ever going to trap anywhere near 105mph stock, or lightly modified. Hell, no 305 car is going to trap 105 with any amount of bolt ons.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by RussStang
No, neither engine is under or over rated. Where is your proof on this? It doesn''t exist. The dyno numbers have spoke for themselves on both cars. LT1s are heavier, but have a MUCH better power-to-weight ratio. Your 305 car isn't stock. Simple as that. No 305 is ever going to trap anywhere near 105mph stock.

from gm stock, no,
stock as in what almost every person on the planet with a 3rd gen camaro has done to their car yes,
headers, no cat and a K&N aren't going to give you the 100hp people claim you have to have to get a G92 car into the 13's (weather its a G92 clone or not)

I know of a stock G92(no cat, K&N and a flowmaster is damn close to stock) that runs 13.9's and I know my buddies R7U 305 5 speed camaro trapped 100mph, and its exactly how it came form GM

so you can say no way all you want, I've seen it with my own eyes, I know so many people with camaros it rediculous, I own/owed some many camaro's it rediculous,

and yes for the most part 3rd gens are stuck in the low 15's high 14's with 90-95mph trap speeds, but there are a few that get into the 13's

and a 90-95mph trap speed is good for mid to low 14's just most people can't launch their car,
Old 07-01-2006, 03:24 PM

from gm stock, no,
stock as in what almost every person on the planet with a 3rd gen camaro has done to their car yes,
headers, no cat and a K&N aren't going to give you the 100hp people claim you have to have to get a G92 car into the 13's (weather its a G92 clone or not)
Now you are changing the definition of stock. This is why people aren't giving your story any credence. I have heard this same kind of sh*t come from so many people about so many types of cars, I can't even begin to count. The best was the last guy I talked to about his Talon TSi. He said it ran 13.4 bone stock. Turns out bone stock was at least boost controller and full exhaust, can't recall if anything else was done to it.

I know of a stock G92(no cat, K&N and a flowmaster is damn close to stock) that runs 13.9's and I know my buddies R7U 305 5 speed camaro trapped 100mph, and its exactly how it came form GM
The car does not carry the power to weight necessary to trap 100mph stock. No way. I don't care how many friends you claimed did this, it isn't possible. The 3rd gens were not underrated cars. You got what you paid for. LT1s trap 100mph stock, and despite your ignorance of them and your claim that they are overrated, a stock LT1 will eviscerate a stock 3rd gen in any form. Stock 3rd gens are slow. They may be 100-200lbs heavier depending on trim, but they carry a much better power to weigh ratio.

Never have I heard of an LT1 owner complaining there car was overrated from GM, and there have many, many LT1s dynoed. Ever hear of the 99 Mustang Cobra fiasco? Ford rated the engines at 320hp, and the owners began to realize they didn't deliver. Ford caught hell for this. You think GM might have too if they pulled this same kind of crap with the LT1s, no?

so you can say no way all you want, I've seen it with my own eyes, I know so many people with camaros it rediculous, I own/owed some many camaro's it rediculous,
Thats good for you. Your info is completely contradictory to what just about anyone on this board, including myself have seen and experienced. Be prepared to be met with skepticism everytime you claim this, because I personally don't believe its true, and obviously I am not the only one.

and yes for the most part 3rd gens are stuck in the low 15's high 14's with 90-95mph trap speeds, but there are a few that get into the 13's
Extremely few.

and a 90-95mph trap speed is good for mid to low 14's just most people can't launch their car,
Sure, the trap speed shows its capable, but it is going to take a good damn launch to get it there. Not on stock tires.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:27 PM

and what do you run in your LS1, I know drivers that'll get it into the 12's or damn close to it, you probably stuck in the high 13's or even 14's
Old 07-01-2006, 03:40 PM

and what do you run in your LS1, I know drivers that'll get it into the 12's or damn close to it, you probably stuck in the high 13's or even 14's
I dunno. I will get back to you after I have tracked it. There is still some things that I have to fix on it.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:58 PM

so you don't spend much time at the track
but you preach what cars can and can't run?
Old 07-01-2006, 08:58 PM

so you don't spend much time at the track
but you preach what cars can and can't run?
When did I say I don't spend much time at the track? I stated I don't yet have a time for my car. Doesn't mean I still don't go there often. Don't be so quick to misinterpret what I wrote.

Still doesn't change the fact that physics is not on your side for this discussion. A stock or bolton 305 5 speed is not going to trap 105mph.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:28 PM

89Vert: Why don't you make a video of the 105 mph trap speed stock thirdgen.

RussStang: I have beaten all but 1 relatively stock LT1's I've raced in my 91 Z28 350. My only mods were flowmaster stock replacement muffler and K&N filters.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:40 PM

RussStang: I have beaten all but 1 relatively stock LT1's I've raced in my 91 Z28 350. My only mods were flowmaster stock replacement muffler and K&N filters.
Alright. However, an LT1 driven to it's full potential will pull on you. Its just the numbers talking. LT1s in the 13s, although not normally, is not freakishly uncommon. A 3rd gen L98 car is. Fastest I have ever heard of a bone stock LT1 going is 13.6. Never heard of an L98 car that has done that. LT1s trap higher than L98 cars, so from a roll or a contest of high speed it will be all LT1.

I am in no way a huge fan of LT1s, but these are the facts.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:49 PM

Alright. However, an LT1 driven to it's full potential will pull on you. Its just the numbers talking. .
I'm talking about real life, not bench racing.
Fastest I have ever heard of a bone stock LT1 going is 13.6. Never heard of an L98 car that has done that. .
So I guess every LT1 I've raced was the fastest one.
LT1s trap higher than L98 cars, so from a roll or a contest of high speed it will be all LT1
I could've sworn drag racing was from a stop?
Old 07-02-2006, 03:25 PM

Sorry, I didn't realize your real life experiences were the end all of possible outcomes that could have occured in racing. The numbers don't lie, an L98 car against an LT1 car with the same driver in it is going to be the end for an L98 car. You can call this bench racing, but its facts. How often do you actually ever go to the track? How many stock L98s do you see running even mid 14s? I can answer that for you. Very few. I have never actually seen a stock L98 run in the 13s in person, but I know there are guys who have done it, although very few and far between. I have seen stock LT1s in the 13s. This is real life. Sorry dude, too many variables involved in street racing for me to give your arguement much credence.

When I said a contest of high speed, I meant any race into triple digits, including from a stop. Fast cars have a way of getting to triple digit speeds with no problem. Stock 3rd gens don't have to worry about that, they don't get there all that fast.

Quick Reply: my camaro is a freak of nature...