3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Stalls when its raining?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 09:42 PM

Stalls when its raining?!

Ok guys, I am a up and coming mechanic by trade. I still have some to learn, but I consider myself good. However, before I go and start testing crap on my car, I was wanting to get some ideas on what the most likely culprit may be for this particular problem. Here's the car. 1986 Camaro. 305 TPI. Auto Tranny. Here's the problem. I know the car needs the injectors serviced. But up till tonight I was certain that's all it's problem was. Car runs good. Here's what happened. I go to leave work tonight at 8pm, its somewhat chilly, and raining. I turnt he key, crank her over and bam, starts right up. Idles fine for about 10 sec, then I hit the gas a little, and it bogs, then shuts off. I restart the car and it fires right up. Hit the gas again, and dies instantly. I do this about 2 more times, and finally say screw it, and just put it in reverse and leave. No more problem. Get's me home running just fine. No SES light.

Here's what has been replaced on the car since I got it. Wire, plugs, cap, rotor, ignition module, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, MAF relay, MAF sensor, O2 sensor, IAC, IAC connector, MAF connector, and TPS, set to correct voltage specs. Ever since I cured the code 33 and 34 problem, by determining my MAF sensor was bad, I haven't had any check engine light. Car has ran just fine, except for the ever so mild bog under certain low speed throttle, which I have determined to be dirty injectors. All injectors ohmed out at exactly 16.6 ohms. So, I would assume this is most likely a wiring problem, or a sensor that is not liking water too much. Throw me a bone boys, anyone ever have a similar problem?
Old 10-20-2005, 10:14 PM

Re: Stalls when its raining?!

In the fisrt couple of years, there were problems with the "cold start"/ 9th injector set up. There were even Service Bulletins about this...I just can't remember the details...I'll try to go through some old papers I have, and look online too. It was one of the reasons they abandoned the 9th injector set-up in '88...I believe...just an idea.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:32 PM

Re: Stalls when its raining?!

88 had pos ninth injector. Another vote of maybe. 9th injector does not connect to the ECM at all.... Swap a 89 PROM in, disconnect 9th injector, and try. If runs fine, stay with it....