CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/3rd-gen-l98-engine-tech-20/)
-   -   Horrible Misfiring! Tried almost everything! Need help!!! (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/3rd-gen-l98-engine-tech-20/horrible-misfiring-tried-almost-everything-need-help-851424/)

933.4v6 02-08-2012 07:01 AM

Horrible Misfiring! Tried almost everything! Need help!!!

I own a 1993 3.4V6 Camaro. I got it back in May of 2010. It ran great from May thru August. Here's the problem: I stopped to get gas, when I went to start the car it stalled, I turned the key again and the engine started but was misfiring horribly! I did some research and after almost 2 years of sitting and trying different things, I'm still having the same problem!

These are the items I checked/replaced: Fuel Pump (yes I cut the access hole!), fuel filter, fuel pressure, plugs, plug wires, ICM, and finally yesterday the computer! Just in case you're wondering, when I plugged in the computer (of course it was flashed!) the engine started immediately, but after running for 20-30 minutes went back to misfiring and stalling!

I've heard that this particular generation of Camaro had a few issues but was told that a new computer would fix the problem, but no.

Any guidance/help would be greatly appreciated! Would love to drive my Camaro again! Thanks!

calaban 02-08-2012 07:41 PM

Re: Horrible Misfiring! Tried almost everything! Need help!!!

93 is a 4th gen btw.

Have you checked the coils packs? You have 3. You need to use a volt meter to check the resistance for each one. I don't recall the spec you're looking for, but you can probably find it online.

Secondly, it could be an O2 sensor. You either have a single one near the entry of the Catalytic converter or there's one in each pipe coming down to the catalytic converter.

They should be one wire 02's.

Good Luck

933.4v6 02-09-2012 02:37 AM

Thanks! I'll check that and see what happens. Someone had also mentioned something about MAF sensor?

Response to your BTW: Didn't say it was 3rd gen, last time I was here there was a section for 4th gen, didn't see it this time so posted my thread where I thought best applicable! Btw wasn't neccesary seeing as how I clearly stated that my car is a '93! But thanks for your info!

Marc 85Z28 02-09-2012 10:21 AM

Likely clogged catalytic converter. My sisters old 94 3.4 did the same thing. You can test it by disconnecting/removing the EGR valve. It will sound like ****, but if the misfire goes away and the power restores, the converter should be replaced.

Mevissen 05-17-2012 02:42 PM

Maf sensor could be the problem but not sure if they had the maf sensor in 93 yet or not.