CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/3rd-gen-l98-engine-tech-20/)
-   -   holley tpi stealth ram (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/3rd-gen-l98-engine-tech-20/holley-tpi-stealth-ram-273802/)

bmillington 06-24-2004 08:24 PM

Here's a link to a post at stealthram .com that you should probable look at if your going to buy some heads.(If you haven't already)

http://www.stealthram.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=113

doug791 06-24-2004 11:03 PM

if money isnt much of an issue why not invest in a tpis mini-ram. Thats still pretty much the best way to go.

Ex67 06-24-2004 11:19 PM

except a picture and a price i dont know much about tpis's reputation or prouduct's.....holley i know from HS.....thanx for the link....i'll check it out

doug791 06-25-2004 12:41 AM

i have heard some really good things about tpis and some really awful things. I dont think they are a perticularly fantastic company but i dont think you can go wrong with their mini-ram. As far as i know GM built the lt1 intake based on the design of the mini-ram. It out flows everything and while very pricey is the best thing you can get intake wise.

http://www.tpis.com/CatalogPages/images/500-505.jpg
Runs for about 900 bucks but it is the best. The only ****ty thing is your fuel rails wont work so you either need to have something up or buy theirs which is another couple hundred. Definitly worth it if you have the cash though. www.tpis.com

fb305svs 06-25-2004 10:40 AM

Originally posted by doug791
if money isnt much of an issue why not invest in a tpis mini-ram. Thats still pretty much the best way to go.

for the quality of the piece and the hassle the company insists on giving you, they are not.

not trashing the design, we all know thats a proven design really, but for the money and the 2 or three times you'll be sending it back to get one thats machined flat on the gasket surfaces, its not worth the 900 bucks....

Ex67 06-25-2004 12:33 PM

thanx for the in-put guy's.....for me...yes i'm lucky the price does not matter much but it did take 20 year's of hard work and build'n my own bizz to what it is today to get the point were i can enjoy the reward's of get'n something when i want it and not have to worrie about cover'n my payroll if i did.

i took a good look at the tpis set-up and to be honest....i dont like the way it look's....to me it's kind of bore'n look'n....

500-505 Mini-Ram II Manifold, fits stock/aftermarket heads using Fel-Pro 1204........$895.00

500-518 Mini-Ram Intake for heads requiring a Fel-Pro 1205 gasket........$895.00

500-519 Mini-Ram Intake for heads requiring a Fel-Pro 1206 gasket........$895.00

the above price'n is ok but it dont tell me which one will fit on a 87 motor with cast iron head's not know'n which gasket is which so for me that start's a hassel right out of the gate.......you know what's wores than not be'n able to buy what you want ???........the hassel of buy'n something only to find out it's wrong and you have to send it back and hope the next thing they send is the correct one.....so....i'm gonna wait till i hear back from the last own'r which should be sometime tonight and if i hear cast iron.......then i'm go'n the new head route and get'n the holley......beside's....if i wanted the look of the LT1 i would of just bought one to start with and i allready have the wife bitch'n i should of just bought a "new car" with what i've spent so far....trust me....have'n it sure dont stop them from bitch'n about it......lol.....again this old rookie thanx you for all the input

doug791 06-25-2004 06:15 PM

I would agree that the stealth ram looks the best.

Honestly this is all kind of pointless. What cam are you running in the car? If you need new heads then get heads that match the cam perfectly. And then figure out how much flow you need out of an intake to support the engine. Remember the larger the volume of air coming into the engine in general the slower its going to be coming in. So having too much flow is going to hurt the speed of which the air comes in hurting your torque. Also realize flowing more air then the car is going to take causes backpressure on the intake side which will also make the car slower. Its not what parts you have on your car its the combination of all of them that make you go fast

mrr23 06-25-2004 07:37 PM

the HSR will fit 87 heads. the four center intake boltholes are elongated to fit all 82-92 heads. as fas as it being gutless below 3000 rpm, i could floor it in first gear at 20 mph and spin the tires for at least 75 feet. and i had 200cc dart pro 1 aluminum heads with 2.05/1.60 valves. the HSR will flow 275 cfm per runner. like i said earlier go to www.stealthram.com for your answers. oh and here's my personal page www.fl-thirdgen.org/mrr23

mrr23 06-25-2004 07:42 PM

here's the intake compare page i made with help and input from other HSR members that have had other intakes and dyno compared them. http://stealthram.com/intakecompare.html

pineapplesink6 06-27-2004 10:16 AM

does this system fit on a 88 vette as well?

Ex67 06-27-2004 02:05 PM

thanx for the link to stealthram.com.....i register'd and i think i've read every thread and i'm gonna start ask'n some ?'s over there soon......i guy i bought the car from just call'd me back about a half hour ago....did'nt understand half of what he said but i did grasp the fact that the motor was completly re-done last summer at jan cen motor sport's in elma n.y. with a price tag of $2500 for the work which is one of the recipt's he did give me when i bought it....i dont understand everything on that recipt either but i do understand the part that read's 375 hp from the dyno test and in that phone call he also told me he pull'd the port'd intake set-up he had on there before he put the car up for sale and it's now on his 89 Z28 which i'll see when he stop's over tonight with some more recipt's and paper work he's gonna give me so i know exactly what's been done.......i guess now it's just a matter of ask'n some ?'s over at the other site on how to get the HSR to fit on the cast iron head's and some read'n to understand all the spec's of what has been done to my engine.......thanx again for all the input guy's....it has help'd me

doug791 06-27-2004 03:28 PM

I already said this but im going to say it again. Make sure you know what the cam and heads are capable of because if you give them too much flow on the intake youre going to kill your torque.

mrr23 06-27-2004 07:28 PM

Originally posted by pineapplesink6
does this system fit on a 88 vette as well?
it's in the FAQ section of www.stealthram.com but to answer your question, not without a taller hood. www.fasterdeals.com makes a shorter version just for the corvettes. but their link has disappeared. so, i'm not sure if they still do.

pineapplesink6 06-27-2004 10:20 PM

Originally posted by mrr23
it's in the FAQ section of www.stealthram.com but to answer your question, not without a taller hood. www.fasterdeals.com makes a shorter version just for the corvettes. but their link has disappeared. so, i'm not sure if they still do.

thanks!! heh went to your site, saw all your mods, with timeslips etc....

A few questions?

Did the Nitto's hurt or help you? Because I did not see much of a difference at all in 60 foot times. I just bought them for my Vette, So a little worried now!

And After you installed the Headers etc.........Your torque went down around 30, At least that is what I saw. Why is this? Anyways your baseline numbers are real good.

krazzycowgirl 06-27-2004 11:10 PM

From Someone with an 87 TPI 350 Car with the HSR in it. Currently we are working out some bugs in the car, (we slapped it on with stock heads & most everything else is stock on the car)
I am running right now with the car not running right a 14.7 down the 1.4 mile @ 94.95 MPH.