CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/3rd-gen-l98-engine-tech-20/)
-   -   HELP! Trans won't stay in park (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/3rd-gen-l98-engine-tech-20/help-trans-wont-stay-park-282114/)

Camaro91RS 07-14-2004 09:31 PM

HELP! Trans won't stay in park

wowwwww am I frustrated!

The other day I was drivin my 91 Camaro RS (305) to hockey and when I parked and let off the brake, it started pulling forward...I was like WTF??? so I slightly tapped the shifter down and it went right back into overdrive.....so it seemed like it was sticking or something.

Well today I was in my friends driveway and it's on a slant...so when I went to put it in park I started goin backwards......my car was stuck in reverse and everytime I put it in park and let off the brake it would just go back into reverse!!! Finally after about 5 minutes of trying to shift it from R to P and D to P....it finally stayed still and went into park.

I was scared as hell when I knew I had to stop in my driveway.....so sure enough when I put it into park it went backwards into reverse.......and after 10 long minutes it finally went into park and I put the E-Brake on and logs under the tires.

I'm so scared that I'll have to get a new transmission because I'm suffering financially bad enough as it is.....so has anyone had this problem or possibly know a solution for it?

Thank you sooo much

antoine 07-15-2004 12:17 AM

check the shifter cable at transmission.

DPG Omaha 07-15-2004 04:41 AM

Also check by the shifter itself, make sure nothing is obstructing the shift locks

PyRo9862 07-15-2004 05:57 AM

Do it the stupid cheap way just put it in nuetral and use the e-brake :)

Camaro91RS 07-16-2004 06:30 PM

thanks for all the replies guys..

ok so today I got a new shifter cable and I FINALLY put it in right........but I accidently moved the part that connects to the transmission (the one bolt part that bolts to a lever).....it clicked a couple times and was in a different position. I'm assuming this is the thing that shifts the gears. well my question is...where should I move the lever to when bolting up the new cable? I moved it all the way towards the front of the car today and this is what happened:

PARK is now REVERSE
REVERSE is now NEUTRAL
NEUTRAL is now OVERDRIVE?

wtf!!! any ideas?

CamaroZ28Coupe 07-16-2004 07:04 PM

ok finally my experience with installing a megashifter can pay off
the little lever will not brake if it shifts thats what its ment to do, its what shifts the gears in the tranny
easy fix dont panic, when you install the cable: before you bolt the cable onto the lever

1) go under car and push that lever thing all the way foward untill it makes the click (slightly bigger click then other ones). now the tranny is in Park.

2) go into the car and put the shifter into Park

3) now adjust the cable until it slides onto the lever easily

4) now both the shifter and the tranny should be sycronized

i hope this helps, if i wasnt clear enough then dont be afraid to ask.

Camaro91RS 07-18-2004 05:27 PM

Re: HELP! Trans won't stay in park

got everything working right :D

I had to cut the tabs on the part above the rubber thing so it'd stay in the bracket.

thanks so much to everyone that helped!!

special thanks to camaroz28coupe....great directions ;)