3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

fan wiring, relay problems 1987 iroc first one, off to bad start

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 10:10 PM

fan wiring, relay problems 1987 iroc first one, off to bad start

got one finally, and yep, you know it, found it to be hacked on even after looking closely for things.

relay on drivers side some what of a big relay, several wires running to it, its mounted on a stand alone mount infront of two additional relays i beleive. well the wires going into the plastic harness that clicks into relays are coming out, and someone has taped them up. and seperated them. i believe these to be related to fuel pump assembly some how because after fooling with them, im having hard starts, and having to pump pedal.

also passengers side, i noticed a speaker wire running in engine compartment after looking furter i found i think a purple wire removed from its harness and ran to ground, well disconnecting it, the relay next to battery on core support clicks. im guess this is relay for fans, which are on constant with key bein in on position. so with that I NEED SOME HELP> i need plug in for relay on fire wall and identifiy it.

and wiring diagram for relay on core support which i belive is fans.

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT WITH THESE DETAILED DO IT YORSELF DIAGRMAMCS
Old 03-13-2011, 10:26 AM

Re: fan wiring, relay problems 1987 iroc first one, off to bad start

man 13 people have read the post, i would have thought someone would know something about this, i google searched the problem and it took me to this web site, and i seen the postings where people were having same issue as i am. and i couldnt find them after i logged in.

Wonder if i have to be a member longer HMMMMM???well someone help if they can i guess. thanks
Old 03-13-2011, 10:34 AM

The one thing you have to remember, is that if someone "hacked" these things together, then there's no easy way to know for sure what they're for based on what you've told us. Your best bet is going to be a Haynes or something, in the meantime. If they've hacked wires together and things aren't the right color, you're going to have a much more difficult time tracing back them.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:09 PM

hey chap, first ques is, is this your daily. if not then this is good.
i sugguest you getting on ebay and buying a 87 HELM book, not a HAYES book. the HELM book has info for YOUR YEAR ONLY. you will get lost with a HAYES book.

the helm book will give you the correct mapping and correct wire codes to track stuff down.

if my friend still had his 87 id drag him over, get ya on the phone and fix ya up.

one thing i will sugguest that our cars have in common (my FORMULA and your IROC) the power wire "should" be an orange wire. run a wire down to your starter lug and when you find the correct pinout in the relay plug pop it in that postion as the orig wires are ran off of a puny fuseable link by the batt and will give you problems like i had.

i ran 2 orange wires from my pos terminals up to each relay to lower the load and everything works killer.

if you need any plugs, wires with the correct terminals or anything hit me up as i have 4 or so boxes of harness i can clip for ya and all ya gotta do is splice back in. if i can find another 87 IROC i'll map things out for ya.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:55 PM

the car is well appears to be 100% orignal, even exhaust is still quite, im really pleased with that aspect of it, that way i wasnt chasing someone elses problems down. Someone in past has had a problems with the way the wires loop under and go into the relay. drivers sider there is a cluster of relays, mounted directly to fire wall, and it steps out and has a stand alone 5 wire relay. flat plug the wires in that relay are coming out of there sockets. basically need a plug that i can fit new wires into or another plug with wires still attached that i can solder and heat shrink wires back.

fan there isnt a lot of hacking at all, the plug was disconnected ans stripped the wire is purple, its by itself and they ran a speaker wire from it to the ground strap. so with ignition turned forward. its fan on all time.

something else i noticed, oil gauge, works when i initially start up, if i hit gas it peggs out at 70 psi. i checked for loose connections didnt appear to be loose any ideals. i know i dont have that pressure, otherwise its looming in around 40 psi at idle
Old 03-13-2011, 04:00 PM

i do need a plug, i actually need to, i need the one going into the particular relay im refering to, after i identifie it. its the 5 wire plug flat mounted on drivers side. there is cluster of relays and this one is mounted kinda like on top of these others, using the same bracket is mounted further out. i need that plug.

and i also need fan plug end. i want to figure out why or how the fans are supposed to work. and get them back original operating condition.

937 562 1501 give me a call if you get a chance. id like to exsplain what i have going on, i also need few other items.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:13 AM

These diagrams might help:
http://www.austinthirdgen.org/index.php?pid=19

And these troubleshooting articles should help as well:
Fuel pump circuit
Cooling fan circuit

Finding a plug should not be a problem, online or at a local junkyard.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:17 PM

Which plug is it i need, how would i identifie the plug id love a new one, i can not stand stupid little things like this, just simple things like this cause much larger problems.

And id also like male and female for the fan the plugs that is,
Old 03-14-2011, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by BigBadLou
These diagrams might help:
http://www.austinthirdgen.org/index.php?pid=19

And these troubleshooting articles should help as well:
Fuel pump circuit
Cooling fan circuit

Finding a plug should not be a problem, online or at a local junkyard.
BigBadLou, thanks for the link above. I have it book marked! The electrical prints are alot more easy to read than my chiltons and haynes.