CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/3rd-gen-l98-engine-tech-20/)
-   -   cam (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/3rd-gen-l98-engine-tech-20/cam-56045/)

crakpotjoe 12-08-2002 03:20 PM

cam

what in different peoples opinions is the best cam for 305 tpi 3rd gens? just looking for some feedback TIA

Sitting Bull 12-08-2002 11:29 PM

Re: cam

Originally posted by crakpotjoe
what in different peoples opinions is the best cam for 305 tpi 3rd gens? just looking for some feedback TIA
YOU have to tell US a few things first :p

Auto or stick?

Roller or flat tappet?

Rear gear ratio?

Street or strip or both?

crakpotjoe 12-09-2002 02:06 AM

sorry i dont really know too much about cams, obviously thats y im asking the question but its an auto, stock rear end and itll be for both street and strip not sure what u mean by "roller or flat tappet" ud have to let me know what that means unless u can gather that information from what is known about the cars. its all stock except the interior and the exaust. hope this helps

Sitting Bull 12-09-2002 03:37 AM

What year is it?

Run your rpo codes, found inside the console, through the decoder at www.thirdgen.org and let us know what the rear gear ratio is.

crakpotjoe 12-10-2002 01:04 AM

rather than take a long time to try to find it and pretend i know what u mean ill just ask what u mean when u say check the console . . . do u mean the center console? sorry im not to familiar with camaros

Sitting Bull 12-10-2002 04:13 AM

rather than take a long time to try to find it and pretend i know what u mean ill just ask what u mean when u say check the console . . . do u mean the center console? sorry im not to familiar with camaros
Yes, there is a plasticized paper attached to the inside and it has a bunch of 3 digit codes. Copy them down and then feed them into the Regular Production Order (RPO) decoder. There is also Vehicle Information Number (VIN) decoder, for the VIN found at the bottom driver's side of the windshield. They will tell us everything the factory put into the car, including the rear gears.

crakpotjoe 12-10-2002 06:54 PM

GU2 : AXLE REAR, 2.73 RATIO

thats what u were asking for right? also its an 89 rs v8 305 tbi auto if theres anything else i left off just let me know.

Sitting Bull 12-10-2002 07:18 PM

GU2 : AXLE REAR, 2.73 RATIO

thats what u were asking for right? also its an 89 rs v8 305 tbi auto if theres anything else i left off just let me know.

OK, you have a roller cam motor, too. A lot of folks really like the GM LT1 cam for your car. It isn't very expensive and ought to add about 30 hp. Go to the www.thirdgen.org TBI forum and ask them about all the mods you should do first. Basically, there are a few mods to the TBI that will help it out before you do the cam.

A good mod would be going from 2.73s to 3.42s. That'll knock half a second off the ET.

crakpotjoe 12-11-2002 12:23 AM

sweet thanks . . . would 3.42's be better than 4.10's? thats what i was thinking of getting next along with a rear end out of a newer ls1 so can also get the posi.

Sitting Bull 12-11-2002 01:47 AM

sweet thanks . . . would 3.42's be better than 4.10's? thats what i was thinking of getting next along with a rear end out of a newer ls1 so can also get the posi.
It depends what you want to do. Is this only for the track? If so, then the 4.10s will be great.

If you also have to take the car on the highway at all, 3.42s are indicated quite heavily ;)