3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

82 crossfire 305--why won't fuel pump run when ignition turned "on"???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 07:19 PM

82 crossfire 305--why won't fuel pump run when ignition turned "on"???

Here's my setup:

1982 Camaro w/305 cross-fire injection, auto tranny, completely stock.

My fuel pump will not operate when the ignition switch is turned to "on" as it is supposed to. Obviously, this makes hot-starting the car impossible, due to vapor lock. When the "G" terminal on the ALDL is powered with battery voltage, the pump runs fine, and then the car fires right up.

Here's what I've replaced so far:

Fuel tank
All rubber parts of the fuel lines
Fuel pump
Fuel Filter
Fuel Pump Relay

All fuses in the fuse block are good. The computer diagnostic is not showing any stored trouble codes.

I've tried to decipher the engine control system schematic in the Haynes manual... and the "fuel pump/oil pressure switch sender" is the only other thing I could imagine is causing the problem. But if this were the case, shouldn't my oil pressure gage be inoperative? The oil pressure gage has worked flawlessly, and even registers plenty of oil pressure both when the engine is cranking and running.

The only other thing to check would be the 20A inline fuse... but I have no idea where it is. The only thing that looks like a fuse is an inline disconnect off an orange wire that comes off the battery and goes toward the engine computer.

Any help you all could provide would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 11-21-2006, 07:47 PM

have you turned the key on while having a test light hooked to the fuel pump connector and seeing if it lights up for about 2 seconds? You will need someone to turn the key on for you while you hold the test light on the proper terminals of the connector. If you don't get any power for at least 2 seconds, then start looking at the fuel pump relay, it's connector, and all the wires. Wire tracing sucks, but it may be in order...also make sure your grounds are all in place. The haynes manual should tell you all the main ground locations for everything....good luck and report back and I will try to help more....as far as the ecm/fuel pump inline fuse, on my 86 it's on the passangers side near the battery. It may be in a little black fuse holder. Just try and find a orange wire under the hood and trace it to find the fuse...

P.S. I don't know much about what kind of system the crossfire engine runs, but I'm assuming it has a electric fuel pump since it's technically a fuel injected engine...

Last edited by Pneumatic_Tire; 11-21-2006 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tanker Don
I've tried to decipher the engine control system schematic in the Haynes manual... and the "fuel pump/oil pressure switch sender" is the only other thing I could imagine is causing the problem. But if this were the case, shouldn't my oil pressure gage be inoperative? The oil pressure gage has worked flawlessly, and even registers plenty of oil pressure both when the engine is cranking and running.

The only other thing to check would be the 20A inline fuse... but I have no idea where it is. The only thing that looks like a fuse is an inline disconnect off an orange wire that comes off the battery and goes toward the engine computer...

The sensor has 2 functions:
  1. Send an oil pressure signal
  2. Close a switch at the appropriate pressure
The proper operation of one function doesn't insure the operation of the other.
In this case I don't believe the pressure/switch sender is the problem.

The act of applying 12v to the ALDL G-terminal effectively bypasses the inline fuse, and in doing so, will also power the rest of the circuits that are connected to the same power feed that the fuel pump relay E-terminal is connected to which is the inline fuse by the battery.

You've already located the inline fuse, replace if burnt.

Should this not solve the problem , post an image of the circuit, I believe it should identical to my '88, but it's best to see yours to be sure.
FYI
The fuel pump relay E-terminal should be hot (12volts) at all times.